best civ4 bts3.19 on mac lion EVER!!!

z0wb13

undead
UPDATE: better instructions are here. they are intended to be used on OS X mountain lion, but will work for snow leopard and lion just as well. please post any new questions to that thread;p

this is how i have run civ4bts for windows on several different apple systems (iMacs, and MacBook Air specifically, although these instructions should work for all systems running the lion OS). there are no cracks used ("Removes copy protection" refers to the 3.19 patch, not any sort of software piracy).

why would i want to run the windows version on my mac? you may ask.
it's so that you can play mods that have custom .dll's and you don't have to install windows on your machine;p

you will need:
a retail copy of Civilization 4: Complete for windows on DVD
an internet connection
osx 10.7.4
Microsoft XML parser
about 5GB of free disk space
a way to open .zip files (like Keka).
an apple with at least a core 2 duo (but you need that to run lion anyway)

everything else that you need is either my own work or opensource. the method i used was based on the one discovered here.

as far as how savvy you need to be to follow these instructions: if you have installed windows programs before, then you shouldn't have any problems (meaningless.exe requires your permission to blah blah blah X infinite. choose ok or cancel); just keep hitting ok. that said, this is written for a mac audience, so i tried to cover all my bases. please pm any specific questions or for clarifications.

FIRST, download and install Wineskin Winery. there is some further information and a FAQ available here, but i don't think you will need to understand how it all works just to use it.

SECOND, create a "wrapper" using wineskin winery.app. since this is your first time using this, you will have to download and add the WS8WINE1.3.37 engine. then choose (by using the "Update" button) Wineskin-2.5.5 as your wrapper version and click Create New Blank Wrapper. you will be prompted to name your cool new wrapper, i chose "civ4bts." wine skin will go to work. it will eventually alert you that it cannot find the Wine Gecko package, so download and install it. finally, click on View wrapper in Finder when the operation is completed, without forgetting to close the winery.app. you now have a file under user/Applications/Wineskin/yourfilename.app but it isn't quite done yet. you still need to install civ4 from your disc.

THIRD, you will need to tweak your new wrapper, so double click on it and then choose Advanced, and then Tools. under the utilities subheading, you will see Winetricks. You will have to add several additional files. luckily, you can use the handy search function to find and install the correct overrides.

the most important, and also most difficult to install is called msxml3.dll because it must be downloaded and moved to the right folder manually. winetricks will spell it all out for you if you follow the onscreen instructions, but just be aware that this is the most tricky part of this installation. after this, it get much easier.

after you have that part taken care of, you will also need to add these files:
msxml4, d3dx9, quartz, devenum, corefonts and vcrun2003. everything will be under the .dll sub-listing, except for corefonts, which is under fonts. you may check multiple files and install them en masse. all of these are easy to do, you just have to agree to the licenses. after you are all done in winetricks, click Done.

now, you will have to set two overrides, these being "gameux" (disabled) and "msxml3r" (native). <=this is not a typo. these settings are under the Config Utility (winecfg) below the Wine Tools subheading. when the wine configuration window opens, click on the Libraries tab, then type in the name of the .dll you are modifying. once it is added, find it and click edit to change the desired settings. click apply.

FOURTH, install civ4 from the Civilization 4: Complete DVD. to do this, click on &#8220;Install Software&#8221; button in the bottom left of the Wineskin Advanced window and navigate to the Setup.exe on your civ4 DVD. Agree to the license, but choose Custom Install, then check Install for All Users, but uncheck Register this Product. let it run, give it at least 20 mins. once civ4 is installed, you will be prompted to install Colonization, which i simply cancel to save disc space. with the install complete, wineskin will ask you to choose the correct .exe file to run the application, which should be found under Program Files\2kGames\Firaxis\Civ&#8230;\BeyondtheSword\BtS.exe, or something like that. it should be the second choice in the drop down menu (but if you screw this last bit up, it doesn't matter, because you change it in step 5 anyways).

FIFTH, run the updater!

you might be able to get it to work from the in game menu, but i ran it directly from the exe file. right click on the wrapper that you have created, and select &#8220;Show Package Contents&#8221; which will open up a finder window. navigate to the c:\ProgramFiles and drop in the updater. then (and this is the trick) double click the Wineskin.app that is inside the wrapper and choose Advanced Options (you were at this screen before if you followed the instructions). under the configuration heading, you will see:
Windows EXE to the left and a Browse button to its right. click, and point to the updater.exe file and let it run by choosing Test Run. uncheck register, everything should update normally. after the update, don&#8217;t forget to point the Windows EXE back to the correct file. delete the broken links the installer created for you off of the desktop. get a new icon graphic, like this one, and copy and paste it in using the "get info" menu.

YOU&#8217;RE DONE!!! go ahead and try it (give it a good 15 secs before you start freaking out). if, instead of running civ4 you see a prompt to run the updater again, then you didn't point the windows EXE to the correct file. if, you crash to desktop upon launching the maps, then you probably didn't install msxml3.dll.

if you want to run mods, including those with custom .dll's, there are a few extra steps. it appears to work with 100% of all windows mods;p

SIXTH, install any additional mods that you want to play in the user/Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/MODS folder. note that you will have to run the game once before these folders will appear. THEN, you will have edit the CivilizationIV.ini file (you can use textedit). search for the term "ModularLoading" and set the value to 1. run mods normally from the in-game window. installing mods into the c:\Program Files\&#8230;\Beyond the Sword\Mods causes crashes, for reasons that i don&#8217;t even remotely understand.

if the mod you download is an .exe file, other words it's packaged as an installer, you can still play it using the same trick in step 5 used to run the updater. right-click your wrapper, show package content, and drop the mod into c:\Program Files. then, point the Windows EXE to the installer instead of c:\Program Files\...\Civ4BtS.exe and hit Test Run.

Spoiler :
SIX B, to autoload your favorite mod at startup, go to the CivilizationIV.ini and look for the string

; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = MODS/K-Mod

you have to use the MODS/yourmodhere to make it work. you must use all-caps and a forward slash, or it will goof up and load vanilla.

SEVENTH, multiplayer should work. the LAN lobby works fine for all computers running vanilla 3.19 bts. i have experienced some issues related to running mods and playing multiplayer. if you want to connect playing mods, you will have to use the Direct IP method, and it usually takes a reload of the map after it is generated to get everyone on the same page.

EIGHTH, there are various changes to the CivilizationIV.ini file that you can make to have things run more smoothly. basically, i turned off any splash screens, intro movies, and caching to ensure that everything loads every time you play it. this does slow down launch times, but improves stability. the most important fix to make is running in windowed mode. this helps tremendously to resolve any graphics card issues that could lead to a crash.

Hi,

Does Wineskin alter the performance, ie is the game slower etc. ?
Is it possible to play mods with custom .dlls with it?
Does this really prevent OOS errors? If another player is a on windows machine, is it an issue?

Thanks.

Does Wineskin alter the performance, ie is the game slower etc. ?

performance seems ok. setting the ai to play against itself 7 civs normal map runs through a typical game in 10-15 mins (with the play time being about 3 mins). on earth18 things start slowing down, like 10-20 secs per turn. note that i am playing with k-mod, which claims to speed up certain ai routines.

Is it possible to play mods with custom .dlls with it?
yes. at least i think so. k-mod has a custom .dll and it runs fine, but only from the user/Docs/My Games/BtS/MODS folder. the Rise and Fall, which will work on the mac versions anyway, load normally from the ingame menu screen. BUG and BAT mods work (though i've not playtested them thoroughly), and BlueMarble, but i think there are already mac fixes for these, too.

Does this really prevent OOS errors? If another player is a on windows machine, is it an issue?
update: multiplayer should work normally, like as though you were playing on a windows machine.

Sent from my iPod

Thanks for the answers.

no, multiplayer is non-functional. i'm still working on this;p but i believe it is possible. i've gotten two macs on the same network to connect, but i got immediate OOS errors after launching the map.

this might be because i was running mods on different systems. i was busy with other stuff and didn't have much time to test it out; right now, this is only working for single player.

Ok, I am actually confused by this post ("what is the best work around for OSS errors in multiplayer? parallels or vmware or other?") linked to this thread...

Thanks for the answers.

Ok, I am actually confused by this post ("what is the best work around for OSS errors in multiplayer? parallels or vmware or other?") linked to this thread...

actually, i think you can ignore that post. the OOS errors i was seeing was because i had a mod running on one machine but not the other.

if anyone is still following this.

you need msxml3.dll as well. i need to update these instructions. despite the title they truly suck

UPDATE! these instructions should run much better. there is a bit more involved around steps 3 and 4.

I ran through the revised instructions and I have a working BtS Wineskin. :goodjob:

Here are some comments on the details:

1. When I ran the Winetricks, I was not confident enough to try ticking the checkboxes for all of the dlls and hitting Run. Would that work? I installed each one separately. Note that on my system there is no Finished button. I clicked Done.

2. Note that core fonts in under the Fonts section in the Winetricks list. The rest are all under Dlls

3. I think there's a typo in the Wine Configuration instructions. msxml3r should read msxml3

4. When I had installed from the DVD, I tried launching BtS before I had patched it. On my system that resulted in a crash. After I patched it to version 3.19 it ran with no problems.

I ran through the revised instructions and I have a working BtS Wineskin. :goodjob:
that's awesome!
here are some answers:

1. When I ran the Winetricks, I was not confident enough to try ticking the checkboxes for all of the dlls and hitting Run. Would that work? I installed each one separately. Note that on my system there is no Finished button. I clicked Done.

yes, you can click multiple installers all at once, but i would do the first msxml3 install separately. Done is the correct button; i fixed that in the instructions.

2. Note that core fonts in under the Fonts section in the Winetricks list. The rest are all under Dlls

true. fixed that in instructions.

3. I think there's a typo in the Wine Configuration instructions. msxml3r should read msxml3

very good catch, but no. actually, it is supposed to be "msxml3r". i have put in quotation marks to make this more clear.

4. When I had installed from the DVD, I tried launching BtS before I had patched it. On my system that resulted in a crash. After I patched it to version 3.19 it ran with no problems.

pre-patch, the game is gong to start looking for the civ4 DVD to check the DRM. you can make it work, but you have to make sure that your wineskin is pointing to it, and i didn't explain how to do this at all. idk;p maybe, there was an issue with the xml stuff. that seems to be what makes the game crash at loading the most.

if the game loads and then crashes as soon as you load a map, it is likely there is a video problem. most of these bugs can be fixed by turning off anti-aliasing in the CivilizationIV.ini file. and also, running in windowed mode really seems to help.

thanks for playing.

It's up to you.

If you do start a new thread, it might be a good idea to link back to this one for reference.

bad news. mountain lion breaks compatibility, so it looks like i'm going to have to figure that out;p
instructions for ML build will hopefully include terminal instructions for installation. and it might have to, because X11 isn't supported by apple any longer. or, xcode.app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcode/id497799835?mt=12) is an additional download at 1.5GB, making the entire idea of installing a 3-7 year old windows game on fairly new computers... stupid.

i'm going to have to start a new thread to address that. irrespective, the lion instructions are solid. i might update these instructions to include the wine1.4.1 (stable) version, but the game seems to work (and not work) just the same. or rather, it works every time after a reload;p this includes any mods, multiplayer (hosting and joining), multiplayer with mods (using direct IP), and huge maps.

update: good news! this method works in mountain lion, but you have to install Xcode.app through the App Store first. it's free, so that's cool. there are a few hiccups due to gatekeeper, by which i mean you have to right-click then left-click rather than just double clicking wineskin_winery.app to launch.

you might also want to install XQuartz as well, but it might be overkill. i need to try a little more multiplayer testing before i put up new instructions, set apart in a new thread.

Thank you for this! I'm getting my Retina MacBook Pro tomorrow and I can't wait to install Civ4 and play it!

I have one big question, however. It's going to have Mountain Lion, and I'm going to want to play full-screen, maybe even at the max resolution. (I have to try it to see if I like it first.) Would you say this is a better option than using Boot Camp to dual boot in to Windows? Hands-down better, with caveats better (what caveats?), or depending on preference (what preferences?) I've never booted Windows on a Mac before so I don't know what issues one has to deal with when doing so. But I see this method still has some issues, notably that full screen isn't perfect. Thanks!

Thank you for this! I'm getting my Retina MacBook Pro tomorrow and I can't wait to install Civ4 and play it!

i don't have a rMBP to experiment with, yet, but i think i can make a few speculations.

I have one big question, however. It's going to have Mountain Lion, and I'm going to want to play full-screen, maybe even at the max resolution. (I have to try it to see if I like it first.)

the game works on ML, but i don't think you will want to play at max res anyways. any onscreen text is gong to be tiny and hard to read. also, aspyr does not officially support civ4 on those machines, so who knows what works, although it does seem like a bunch of people have gotten it running.

Would you say this is a better option than using Boot Camp to dual boot in to Windows? Hands-down better, with caveats better (what caveats?), or depending on preference (what preferences?) I've never booted Windows on a Mac before so I don't know what issues one has to deal with when doing so.

hands down, boot camp and windows7 is going to give you the best compatibility, but it's not much more stable than what i'm doing, and the downsides are that it takes partitioning a chunk of your HD for windows only use. plus, you need to have a copy of windows, which runs anywhere from $80 on up. and then you have to reboot to switch from one OS to the other, which is a pita.

my preference is to have everything look and behave as mac like as possible. once you get this setup, it integrates rather seamlessly into the OSX environment. except that saved games are hardcoded to save in a certain place, but whatever.

that said, setting up bootcamp is pretty easy, just like everything else on a mac;p

But I see this method still has some issues, notably that full screen isn't perfect. Thanks!

the problem with fullscreen is that the cursor wants to be a spinning globe instead of a pointer, which i find rather annoying. i have a fix for it, but you have to be a little brave and use the terminal.

Spoiler :
open a terminal in OSX. cd (change directory) to where the cursor .ani files are stored, by default it should look like this
cd Applications/Wineskin/civ4bts319.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program\ Files/2K\ Games/Firaxis\ Games/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ 4\ Complete/Assets/res/Cursors/

note that your path might look slightly different. you might have a different name for your wrapper, or you might have moved it to another location, but by default this is where you should find it. also, anything past Contents/ is correct, regardless of your machine. you will know you are in the right place because the top of the terminal window will read "Cursors - bash - 80x24"

once you get to the correct directory, type in each line, one at a time, and press enter. for the last long entry, just copy and paste it into the terminal and let it run.
mkdir backup
cp -v *.ani backup/
rm -v *.ani
cp -v backup/Pointer.ani Pointer.ani
cp -v Pointer.ani Airbomb.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Airlift.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Airstrike.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Build.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani BuildLarge.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Claim.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Deplete.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Edit.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani EMP.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Found.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani GoTo.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Grip.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Link.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Mine.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Move.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Mutiny.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Nuke.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Ping.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Rebase.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Recon.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Repair.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani RouteTo.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani 'Size All.ani' ; cp -v Pointer.ani 'Size Diagonal 1.ani' ; cp -v Pointer.ani 'Size Diagonal 2.ani' ; cp -v Pointer.ani 'Size H.ani' ; cp -v Pointer.ani 'Size V.ani' ; cp -v Pointer.ani 'Split H.ani' ; cp -v Pointer.ani 'Split V.ani' ; cp -v Pointer.ani Stasis.ani ; cp -v Pointer.ani Waiting.ani ;

I just tried performing your steps but I have a few more questions:

* The game launches full-screen but with the menu bar and the dock both in front, so I can't access the buttons behind the dock and get past the startup screen. I fixed this by setting my screen option "Override Wine control of screen settings?" to Override, then changing my Override setting from Rootless to Fullscreen. Is this ideal, or do you recommend something else for your setup?

* The fonts are still not correct. They should be serif, but I'm seeing exactly what your screenshots show, which is a sans serif font. Is it possible to get the right font?

* How can I create different icons to also launch Colonization, vanilla, Warlords, or launch mods directly, and without copying the entire installation just to have a different icon?

* Can you elaborate on your 8th step? I don't know how to get rid of the startup videos, for example. In fact, I can't even find the INI file! Shouldn't it be in the same directory as the executable? Is it hidden and do I need to run a command line option to reveal it?

Other than these issues the game seems to work great on a Retina Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion. I haven't had the cursor issue you had either, and I'm very happy to finally play RFC 1.187 on my Mac!

Thanks!

EDIT: I only installed Xcode prior to performing these installation steps, not Xquartz, and I don't recall ever needing the Microsoft XML parser or a way to open ZIP files (I only downloaded a ZIP for updating a mod and the OS seemed to convert that in to a folder for me automatically.)

The .ini file is not stored with the executable, it's in your ~/Documents/My Games path.

The .ini file is not stored with the executable, it's in your ~/Documents/My Games path.

Great! The startup stuff is disabled, and I don't think I need to worry about anything else from that step now.

Top Bottom