Civ5: Soviet Modern Armor: T-72 (5 Skins)

snafusmith

Unit Maker
My first Civ5 unit! I've been frustrated since Civ5 came out on my inability to get my Civ4 units and other models into the game. Thanks to a long weekend and a quiet time IRL, I was able to figure everything out thanks to bernie14, Deliverator, and lemmy101 and their awesome unit making tutorials.

So here goes....

The T-72 is a Soviet-designed main battle tank that entered production in 1970. It is a further development of the T-62 with some features of the T-64A (to which it was a parallel design) and has been further developed as the T-90. Chronologically, and in design terms, it belongs to the same generation of tanks as the US M60 series, German Leopard 1, and British Chieftain tank. - Wikipedia

The download includes 5 skins - one each or USSR (Russia), Algeria, Iran, Iraq, & India.

DOWNLOAD HERE!

I can't wait to start making more units for Civ5!!!

ENJOY,
-Smitty

Thanks! I can't believe it took me this long, I just never really had the time to sit down and figure it out.

I used a mix of converting a civ4 to civ5 and the templates. I'm hoping to figure out how to make my own templates. My biggest hurdle is blender, I can animate no problem in 3ds Max (what I used for Civ4) but in blender it's a mystery. I really want to make some gunships, but for now I'm going to focus on tanks.

Very nice job snafusmith! These will be perfect for a Cold War, Iraq War scenario. Later on I may consider it. Someone should make a Red Storm Rising mod, based on Tom Clancy's book.

Anyway, are you planning on doing any WWI units? Ships (pre dreadnought, armored cruiser, 4 stacker destroyer), infantry, artillery all are needed. I know the conversion process takes awhile and requires a lot of patience. I tried to get into it myself, couldn't get some of the programs to work properly. After seeing firsthand what needs to be done I have the utmost respect for unit modders.

Also, I wanted to ask, are you still working on Blood & Iron for CiV? I have been working on a large map of Europe. Perhaps when it is finished that would be useful to you. I will show it to you when I have all the terrain finished. It will be able to fit three Belgian, and Serbian cities. It will be perfect for a 1914 scenario. With it, I am going to upgrade my current scenario, which will start in 1892 instead of 1878, and go the end of WWI.

I am planning on converting all of my Civ4 units to CiV over time. It seems like there's a lack of modern units, so I'll probably be focusing on those first. I also need to learn how to make my own unit skeleton templates, as right now I can only make units based on those Deliverator has posted.

As for B&I - yes it's in the works. It's expanded beyond what was in Civ4 timeline wise. I hope to make it playable from the late 1880s through 1950 or so. My goal is if you want WW1 to continue into the 30s and 40s it should. Right now I've made the base mod with all civs/buildings/units etc removed. The tech tree is done, some of the civs are done (focusing on those for a WW1 scenario first) and some of the units. After I get everything working the focus will be on scenarios. I don't want to make the same mistake I made w/ B&I for Civ4 and have a big mod and not have it playable.

I am planning on converting all of my Civ4 units to CiV over time. It seems like there's a lack of modern units, so I'll probably be focusing on those first. I also need to learn how to make my own unit skeleton templates, as right now I can only make units based on those Deliverator has posted.

As for B&I - yes it's in the works. It's expanded beyond what was in Civ4 timeline wise. I hope to make it playable from the late 1880s through 1950 or so. My goal is if you want WW1 to continue into the 30s and 40s it should. Right now I've made the base mod with all civs/buildings/units etc removed. The tech tree is done, some of the civs are done (focusing on those for a WW1 scenario first) and some of the units. After I get everything working the focus will be on scenarios. I don't want to make the same mistake I made w/ B&I for Civ4 and have a big mod and not have it playable.

Yes, you will need scenarios this time. If I can help you in any way I will. bernie14 has a foreign legion template that could help you with converting your WWI infantry. I have it on my pc. If you want to try it let me know I'll send it to you. Perhaps that will give you a decent reference for creating your own template.

Hello Snafusmith, great to have you making Civ 5 units. they will be a welcome add for the modern age!

I can't wait to start making more units for Civ5!!!

hehe, did not really expect to see units from you for Civ 5, certainly looking foreward to more of your units (like the tank for all civs or even the WW1 fighters and bombers, now that there is a standard unit for those ;) )

hehe, did not really expect to see units from you for Civ 5, certainly looking foreward to more of your units (like the tank for all civs or even the WW1 fighters and bombers, now that there is a standard unit for those ;) )

I didn't expect to be able to make any units for Civ5! Glad I can though! I'm hoping my next couple units go faster than the T-72, it took me way to long to get it to work. I'm working on getting my Leopard 1 now.

I also need to learn how to make my own unit skeleton templates, as right now I can only make units based on those Deliverator has posted.

Er, there's quite a few templates out there (packs of them from danrell)... Here's some of the ones I could find:
EDIT: ...and bernie14's legionnaire template: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20273

wasn't there suppposed to be a template library? looks like it wasnt maintained.

Yeah, that and we're missing a bunch. My hope is that I can find out how to make some more. Looks like it's just a matter of finding out the names of bones and the placement. I probably won't be able to figure it out, but I want to at least try.

I'm really glad danrell made all those templates, it makes creating units much easier. I tried to make a gunship template today - got all the bones and mesh into blender no problem, but for some reason nexusbuddy crashes when I try to import my .fbx file. Made some really good progress adding figure units to danrell's artillery template, but the figure is upside down. Still working out some kinks but I think I'll get there.

I'm really glad danrell made all those templates, it makes creating units much easier. I tried to make a gunship template today - got all the bones and mesh into blender no problem, but for some reason nexusbuddy crashes when I try to import my .fbx file. Made some really good progress adding figure units to danrell's artillery template, but the figure is upside down. Still working out some kinks but I think I'll get there.

What kind of artillery figure units are you working on? :D

WW1 artillery of course! I was hoping to add russian soldiers to the 76mm divisional gun from WW1. So far just the arty is working.

Wonderful news and hats off for all the hard work you do for us! :goodjob: I am sure you'll work it out.

When everything is done, and I find out where the game is going with DLCs, and/or second expansion, I'll continue working on my large scenario. In the meantime, I'll add any new units to my current WWI modpack and humble scenario.

I used a template from Danrell and added/renamed/repositioned bones to match what was in civ5. The old nexus asset viewer (the one that works) was really useful in seeing what bones there were in the civ5 unit and where they went. I messed up somewhere though, because I'm not able to import the fbx file from blender into the Indiestone nexus buddy to make the gr2 file.

Top Bottom