[G&K] Deity Challenge #15 - Babylon

King_Course

Prince
So it's my turn to submit a challenge. This time it's Babylon, and all DLC is required. It's a game that starts out so beautiful, rivers and mountains and luxuries for all. And why couldn't it just stay that way?

But it can't , because there's a bottleneck, and you're it.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 1,230
  • Nebuchadnezzar Deity Challenge.Civ5Save
    533 KB · Views: 269

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
that is some serious growth potential. i doubt this will be a real problem for some of the pros. for guys like me i might actually have a decent shot, haha. i might even self-impose some kind of restriction, like no worker stealing or something.

King_Course

Prince
that is some serious growth potential. i doubt this will be a real problem for some of the pros. for guys like me i might actually have a decent shot, haha. i might even self-impose some kind of restriction, like no worker stealing or something.

I steal workers from CS, but don't do the trade/DoW. And the good start, gets even better. Try and tie a hand behind your back. I bet you'll be untying it pretty soon. I can't win, but I can die slowly (I'm an immortal player actually). I seldom do Domination, maybe that will work if you are aggressive from the start. I have mostly been trying to pluck a city in the holes and keep up with the neighbours.

It's a problem on Deity, that any war is hard to end since they will always ask outrageous demands.

pkf

Warlord
damn, not knowing about raging barbs almost killed me...

t53 NC, desert folklore, hoping i might even get petra, no wars so far, oda is scary though and there are lots of flanks to cover.

thanks for standard/standard map w/o any special rules.

Andra Bullar

Chieftain
I'm trying out this one but I've never beaten Deity before so it's not going fantastic. I'm at T110 and the AI players are beginning to hit Renaissance while I haven't got Education yet. I've four cities, my capital, one by the pearls to the west, one by the copper to the east and one by the truffels to the north. Russia DOWed me a while ago but I've retaliated and taken one of her cities, now Japan has backstabbed me and are moving on my north city, I just hope I can hold it with my bowmen. We'll see how things go from here.

jeespoks

Warlord
Raging barbs, being the bottleneck and Babylon with a food rich site. This if anything is a perfect map to try going the full Honor first. And with so many Civs, the faster exp for units might pay off nicely. With those flood plains I'm not going to miss Trad's growth bonuses and Babylon should be able to tech fast enough. Thanks for posting this map, gonna try out this asap.

King_Course

Prince
I'm trying out this one but I've never beaten Deity before so it's not going fantastic. I'm at T110 and the AI players are beginning to hit Renaissance while I haven't got Education yet. I've four cities, my capital, one by the pearls to the west, one by the copper to the east and one by the truffels to the north. Russia DOWed me a while ago but I've retaliated and taken one of her cities, now Japan has backstabbed me and are moving on my north city, I just hope I can hold it with my bowmen. We'll see how things go from here.

Spoiler :
Russia is actually easilly stopped by placing a few cities in her way. I've had a fight with Dido where she kept coming over the mountain range to the east which should have been a natural border. By far the most dangerous is Japan. A city to the north on the hill beside the mountain, reaching the iron and truffles has been defensible.

That leaves open room to the West, it's hard to also get a city here before he settles. But this openness down towards your capital is probably the maps biggest danger. Allying the CS will help some, but you'll have to be able to defend it.

Placing a citadel is almost a must against the Deity tides of war. Even on a hill right next to the city if you have to, it will help out alot.

With Babylon, it is not hard to tech straight for Writing, place an academy. Maybe take Babylon walls and the marble tech, then straight for the National College.

Because it's such a hard race, you can squeeze in some fast techs here. I have managed to get Petra in every game so far after Nat College. Then iron. But else aim for Civil Service and get a few pikemen out, you might very well have to defend yourself against Samurai with these pikemen. Then straight for education, have the gold to buy a university in your capital.

Catch up on some military techs, but go for observatories as soon as you have abit of breathing room.

Rush buy settlers while you do this (if playing tradition), or build them if you go Liberty. You'll have to finance mostly by selling the luxuries you have so many of. Just don't get stuck unable to build National College because you have cities without libraries.

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
yeah, raging barbs are a pain. i got t100 and decided to restart. japan ask for DoF on t30 then denounced me on t40 and dow'd on t50. He was pretty easy to hold off with bows but i delayed comps and eventually upgraded 7 of them only to find out he was bringing samurai around t88. i gave it a few more turns but he allied with a CS that started rolling in pikes as well.

on my next effort im going to try to open with archery to see how many bows i can have for the barbs. there were 3 camps early that really made getting a settler out tough.

yeah, raging barbs are a pain. i got t100 and decided to restart. japan ask for DoF on t30 then denounced me on t40 and dow'd on t50. He was pretty easy to hold off with bows but i delayed comps and eventually upgraded 7 of them only to find out he was bringing samurai around t88. i gave it a few more turns but he allied with a CS that started rolling in pikes as well.

on my next effort im going to try to open with archery to see how many bows i can have for the barbs. there were 3 camps early that really made getting a settler out tough.

I had a slightly different situation.

I dow'ed Japan, took 3 of his cities that are within 10 tiles of me, but I couldn't push further due to the ugly terrain - so it ended in a grind. He wouldn't even consider ending the war :(

tomoliop

Chieftain
Despite the amazing starting location this a horrible one geopolitically. Worst I've ever seen. Died at T222, whole game taking only one puppet for a short time. Probably could have held out much longer by giving away cities but game was no longer fun. I'd love to see a replay of someone winning this.

Fire0rb

Warlord
Get DoW'ed buy Japan AND Russia Turn 75 and i am atm barely defending... well russia is not the problem due to the terrain towards her but japan is a pain in the butt
well i guess you need to open up much more aggressive than me, but i will see where do i get from there ;)

Edit: Well put Dido into the mix as well and you got something very ugly :S, well i guess i need to restart more aggressive ;)

Grendeldef

Trancerelic & coffeeholic
Decided to take a one day break from the DC14 trying to figure how should I interpret the rules - it's also quite exhaustive game in the end nevermind the long turn times so I spent few moments with this; quite a contrast.

Spoiler :

Apparently at least every other DC is beyond easy - seriously, capital with 4 workable unique luxes out of which 3 are mining ones and a DF pantheon possibility.
Anyway, started as usually & stole a worker from Dido but getting that back home was hard due to barbs. Scout went west & got upgraded but barbs sieged me it wasn't much of a use meanwhile Russian warrior cruising by without a scratch. Next scout went North but ruins were gone - maps & sailing is what I got out of them.

DF pantheon late 30s, 2nd city settled @T43 and after that building one & buying one settler gave me 4 cities ~65. Going rampage with bowmen would've been an obvious choice so I implemented more rules - no early wars (early being a flexible concept but surely not before flight), no buying sci buildings and not going commando but without national wonders. Hammer suggested something like this back in last year but I haven't tried it out yet.

T84 Cathy was camping around my borders so I gave her 156G for a u-turn towards Sejong which she took with a denouncement - this made half the world cheering at me. T85 CivS - good for growth, bad for happiness. T90 Akkad has Petra & T91 Oracle in Babylon which finished tradition. I assume these are the last wonders before Hubble as I missed CI by 2 turns due to building 4 turns something crappy as I didn't notice it's
availability. Education was around T100. Managed a 3rd, decent religion & got it enhanced too but Oda & Cathy both have gazillion small cities and earlier religion so I foresee some difficulties in spreading it.

Meanwhile Japs went Renaissance on T90 so I sent my spy there. 7 turns later I started to lose techs while I had still 9 turns wait ahead - should've defensive even though I was dead last in everything. Oda troops swarmed the desert so I went for xbows and few turns later I was told that he's marching to Nippur so I bribed him on detour to Cathy so he went home, for few short moments and then back at me. I stole, got caught, promised, lied & tried to bribe him without luck. Currently he's marching to Dur-Kurigalzu with musketmen & trebuchets as far as I can see though he's also plotting against Dido so I'm in with a chance.

Friends with half of the world & RAs with them from 110s but Sejong went industrial T127 so catching will be tricky and passing him hard if I have to do defending against Oda and/or Dido who's been not so happy with me from the start.

valnas

Chieftain
I wanted to open 4 city tradition style but it went kind of 1 very quick and then 2 sometime post turn 45. I tried to save and buy p land to japan and russia's borders all at once when i had a few bowman.

THe subsequent wars and peace were pretty white, japan gave me money but i had no pushback fighting both. I got petra which has been keeping me in the game, along with GS spam, but dido dow'ed me, and japan and russia jumped on around 100. I'm still fighting all 3, no peace offered. Dido lost a few elephants to my archers and has pulled out, im on offense vs russia, japan has my north city under siege but, jungle and terrain are slowing them for my treb/cbow/city with a general. Not sure what it will take to get through. Catherine is close on tech and hitting factories. Think i'm dead dead dead

Klasker

Chieftain
T89, just finished education, going OCC science as it seems a very very good start, with dessert faith, massive growth (+36 food/turn) and mountain+river.
purchased university and got gold for 2 RA's right away.

Attachments

• klask1.jpg
    klask1.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 511

pkf

Warlord
Spoiler :

t147, i am about 20 turns away from plastics. could have been faster if i had settled more cities but the only available good spots wouldve pissed off all neighbors. so i settled just one more next to cathy, who rewarded with me with a t90 DOW.

had something like t85 edu and t103 astronomy. grabbed petra, HS and CI, oracle was gone quite soon thanks to sejong.

raging barbs made scouting a pain, havent quite met all CS yet, a lot of them have been captured though.

declared on oda with dido and elizabeth, they fought each other as well, overall they have been busy. as soon as they peaced oda started to pushed towards me, my army was still trying to get a hold of moscow (7-8 xbows) but cathy built himeji. so i got some gold from her for peace (liberated antwerp too) and focused on saving my cap. he is retreating now and i will raze/puppet his forward cities soon.

im slightly ahead of sejong in tech still, will bribe someone to declare on him soon. RAs on deity are really good stuff, have been able to keep 3 friends and resigned them as often as i could.

overall very interesting map to due to geopolitical madness, not easy at all i would say (harder than most DCs except for those with weird rules/settings).

oh and due to dido, oda and lizzy not getting an religion shinto actually became the world religion and nets me more than 70gpt already =)

Civ5Screen0001.jpg

Vintage Port

Backstab this!
Spoiler :

t147, i am about 20 turns away from plastics. could have been faster if i had settled more cities but the only available good spots wouldve pissed off all neighbors. so i settled just one more next to cathy, who rewarded with me with a t90 DOW.

had something like t85 edu and t103 astronomy. grabbed petra, HS and CI, oracle was gone quite soon thanks to sejong.

raging barbs made scouting a pain, havent quite met all CS yet, a lot of them have been captured though.

declared on oda with dido and elizabeth, they fought each other as well, overall they have been busy. as soon as they peaced oda started to pushed towards me, my army was still trying to get a hold of moscow (7-8 xbows) but cathy built himeji. so i got some gold from her for peace (liberated antwerp too) and focused on saving my cap. he is retreating now and i will raze/puppet his forward cities soon.

im slightly ahead of sejong in tech still, will bribe someone to declare on him soon. RAs on deity are really good stuff, have been able to keep 3 friends and resigned them as often as i could.

overall very interesting map to due to geopolitical madness, not easy at all i would say (harder than most DCs except for those with weird rules/settings).

oh and due to dido, oda and lizzy not getting an religion shinto actually became the world religion and nets me more than 70gpt already =)

View attachment 348270

Religion question.

Spoiler :
Did you take Tithe?

On the harder difficulties do you go with Tithe or Church Property if you want a gold belief? I used to always go Tithe but if I have some luck in getting religious texts I wonder if Church Property is better with the way the AI spams cities.

With so many cities and crazy pressure (on a Pangaea map) I'm starting to think Church Property.

Thoughts?

glory7

King
Spoiler :

After hitting writing ruin right after finishing pottery (so it was like turn 9), I decided to restart as it won't be a fair game. For this one, I still had nice ruins - 2 pop and 1 culture I think, and several more others.

cap BO: 2 scouts - granary - shrine - lib/archer - NC - archer - petra - etc

religion: DF - tithe - 15% prod - pagoda - 30% more spread

tradition 4 cities. Bought all settlers.

One of the critical mistakes in this game was that I forgot to change the tech tree and I researched guilds after currency (for petra), instead of changing it to civil service. I basically wasted like at least 8 turns of tech. So my civil service and education should have been at least 8 tunrs earlier... lesson learned.

3 screenshots attached.

Attachments

• 2013-04-15_00002.jpg
    2013-04-15_00002.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 405
  • 2013-04-15_00003.jpg
    2013-04-15_00003.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 378
  • 2013-04-15_00004.jpg
    2013-04-15_00004.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 339
Top Bottom