Split the Resources.

Millman

Mark the Magnificent
Whatever this game uses for the resources like shields I'd like to do this.

If a city produces ten shields I'd like to split them in the improvements and units.

3 x for Caravan

2 x for Temple

2 x for Market

1 x for Warrior

1 x for Hanging Gardens

1 x as payment to split.

In CiV 2 I'm stuck building one thing at a time in a city. It also makes more sense imo since in real life this is happening already.

If CiV 3 and higher already does this then you know how far I've played. The main difference between these games is the aesthetics imo. The tone's about the same.

Moderator Action: Thread moved to main Creation & Customization forum, please post only finished files in the mods component section :)

That's not something that could be done easily IMO.

Is this a Civ 5 question/request? I'm confused.

Or a civ2 request posted in the wrong forum. No way to know it until the OP clarify it, and I can't use the building/unit list to guess, as we'll get caravan in BNW...

Is this a Civ 5 question/request? I'm confused.

@Hambil - I think he's a Civ 2 player asking if a mod could be made for Civ 5 that would allow him to split production in a city over multiple things. But I could be wrong. It doesn't sound like he has Civ 5 or has played it.

@Millman - While the game has remained generally the same from Civ3 to Civ5, it is still light years away from Civ3. I never even played Civ2, so you must be a real old timer, lol. Civ5 uses :c5production: production but it is basically the same as what you are talking about. You build a building, wonder, or unit one thing at a time. I have serious doubts if you could split it over multiple things. If you could, I'd want that mod myself. I haven't really looked at the Lua code very much or even popped the hood on the source code. Hambil or whoward69 could tell you the possibilities if there even are any.

Sounds like you should look over the Civ5 Info Center. A few things were added in Civ4 and have now been carried over to Civ5. You have espionage and religion. In Civ5, the plots are now hexes and only one military unit per tile. So, its the same game but a lot different, :).

If there is access, I will do some checking, the only possibility that comes to mind would be distributing the production of a city over all the items in a build queue. But, there are huge complications I can think of already, even if we do have access. Like what if two or more things complete on the same turn?

Yeah and having more than one unit being built in a queue could be problematic with 1UPT. Having multiple wonders could also be an exploit by the human player. I don't even know if the AI uses the queue. I seriously doubt it. So not an easy mod for sure if it's even possible and could end up being gamed by the human player.

I don't think it could be gamed by the human, as you still have the same amount of production however you choose to spend it. Multiple things would build much slower. But you are right about all the other stuff. Doesn't seem worth it to do.

True. I guess I was thinking in terms of having two wonders being built in the same city and completing at almost the same time but I guess that's really not any different than a human building each one in a different city.

What I could potentially see as useful is a seperate wonder queue. Not saying it can be done, I have no idea, but that way all your other buildings wouldn't be ignored while you build wonders. Your production would still be split so things would build slower, but you'd have a chance to get granaries and temples and such built even if you where focusing on wonders.

So, my wonder takes 20 turns. A granary takes 10. So, with split production they would take 40 and 20 respectively. The granary being built on turn 20 is still faster than turn 30, but the wonder is now 30 turns instead of 20 (after granary is built it would drop back down from 40 to 30).

If you could use a slider control to adjust production going to each queue that would be even cooler.

Assuming it can be done, and all that work, would it really get used though?

Assuming it can be done, and all that work, would it really get used though?

I don't know. I think I would be inclined to. It would allow a builder type like me to keep military production going while still building a wonder. With the slider, you could keep the wonder / building production high in peactime while still putting some into units. You then move it the other way if you get DOWed. Your units are already partially complete and your wonder is well on it's way but will now go on the back burner until peace again. You also wouldn't have to be paying maintenance for unused units running around in peacetime. They get built faster and sent out to fight when war erupts. I don't know, but it sounds like it could be something worth considering for your Wonder Land mod. It might be even more useful with BNW and the new internal trade route system. Something to think about. May want to wait for BNW to see how it works first.

Also, think about the early game with only one or two cities vs late game with a huge empire. Splitting production would be nicer when you have a small empire with fewer cities to build stuff. Choosing between wonders and units is an even bigger deal then and in the early game. OCC it's a huge deal. Hard to build wonders in OCC at higher difficulties when you get DOWed a lot.

Your units are already partially complete ...

Slightly off topic, but you can do this (manually) already. Build a Swordsman (12 turns) for 11, then change to a building or whatever. When you get a DOW you can have a Swordsman in 1 turn without the maintainance in the interim. You also get the advantage that the game will auto-flip the production to a Longswordsman when you research Steel (but watch out for that as it'll be more than on turn to finish them)

Slightly off topic, but you can do this (manually) already. Build a Swordsman (12 turns) for 11, then change to a building or whatever. When you get a DOW you can have a Swordsman in 1 turn without the maintainance in the interim. You also get the advantage that the game will auto-flip the production to a Longswordsman when you research Steel (but watch out for that as it'll be more than on turn to finish them)

True...but that requires some micromanagement of the queue whereas something like a slider would allow you to basically setup what you wanted to build and then forget about it until your needs changed due to a DOW or whatever. So instead of putting 100% into a swordsman and then remembering to stop one turn before it completes, you just tell the queue to devote a small amount of :c5production: to the unit and a larger amount to a building or wonder. This way you aren't neglecting your military (like I have a bad habit of doing) while still being able to play a builder game.

Also...don't you start to lose some of the :c5production: that you put into whatever if you leave it in the queue for too long? IIRC, that's how it was in Civ4 but I don't know for sure about Civ5.

Also...don't you start to lose some of the :c5production: that you put into whatever if you leave it in the queue for too long? IIRC, that's how it was in Civ4 but I don't know for sure about Civ5.

There are many rumours to this effect, but I have yet to find anything related to depreciation anywhere in the code base (but I've still not reviewed all of it)

Edit: Also, the way the build queue is currently set up, there would be no difference between building something to turn 11 of 12 then starting something new, and the system being proposed of split production - so if depreciation is in effect it will happen in both cases

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to mimic a split production system in lua? With some simple maths on stuff pulled via APIs you could work out the production wasted on the last turn before construction (production needed minus total city production yield per turn), and use a method to add this production to the next build - I.e. increasing the production tile yield the city is on for a single turn when the next construction is commenced by the amount that was wasted on the last build...

Or wasted production could be accrued and the player could be presented with an opportunity to use it to "purchase" a unit or building in the place of gold. Or the player could be presented with the option of converting the surplus production into gold or science. In the latter case it could be seen as inefficiencies in the mode of production that lead to innovation towards improved techniques (i.e. science).

The game core already carries over surplus production from one build to the next

There are many rumours to this effect, but I have yet to find anything related to depreciation anywhere in the code base (but I've still not reviewed all of it)

Yeah, I couldn't remember for sure if the official word from Firaxis claimed such a thing in Civ5 or not. I'd have to quit being lazy and go look to see. :)

Edit: Also, the way the build queue is currently set up, there would be no difference between building something to turn 11 of 12 then starting something new, and the system being proposed of split production - so if depreciation is in effect it will happen in both cases

I disagree but only because I like being difficult. :D Seriously though, wouldn't the game see all of the builds in a split production system as "active" builds rather than something on the back burner? I guess it depends on how it determines when to apply what we are calling depreciation, assuming that even exists in the actual code.

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to mimic a split production system in lua?...

Ah, that's cute. An optimistic fella :D

Most likely you'd go turn by turn. Applying all production to one item on one turn, the other on the next. That would leave a max of 1 turn depreciation, which I doubt would be an issue if it even exists.

What I would do is simply apply production to the first wonder in the queue, then the first non-wonder. The code doesn't care if something gets completed. It's just dumb code that looks at the queue each turn and makes a decision.

I guess I was thinking of a more advanced queue UI that allowed a slider for each build in the queue, regardless of what kind of build. So basically everything in the queue would be in production simultaneously. Having a long queue would be a bad idea as every new item added would subtract production away from the things already in the queue. You might have to limit the queue to a maximum number of items. Obviously, adjusting the slider on one item in the build queue would have to adjust the others. You would probably want some kind of lock though so that you could lock some items to 0% while shifting the rest of your production to one or two other things in the queue. This way you wouldn't lose any production towards that item while still being able to put it on hold to address higher build priorities more quickly with the limited amount of production available.

Top Bottom