Mods crashing Civ4 over LAN

plasmacannon

Emperor
I started a thread in the CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Creation & Customization > Civ4 - Project & Mod Development > Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos > Multiplayer and LP's section
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=497718
but was suggested I should try here.

Quick summary:
2 machines both Win7 home ed. on quad core with 4gb RAM and run Civ4 BTS on LAN perfectly.
However, when I try to use mods, like C2C or VIP, the 'older' comp crashes to desktop.

On 1 machine I just installed Win7 in the past 2 days, so it may not be fully patched or correctly configured for multiplayer. It could even have security or firewall blocking files. I don't know if certain port have to be open for mods to work.

Yesterday, I went through and turned on Network Discovery, File and Print Sharing, Public Sharing, and I got the printer to work from the 2nd computer over the network.
The modded Civ4 games still didn't load.

Anyone else solve this for their LANs?

I don't remember having to open any ports for civ either.
I think you have to open port 2056 when hosting direct-IP games and using a router.
Anyone else know of this as well?
Is there a list on here of ports needed to be open for the different mods?

I wanted to add, I have been playing a single player game of C2C now for a few hours and have experienced no errors.
So, it is definitely not a single player issue.

Please uninstall and reinstall via my thread ... Civ IV custom mods like C2C run better when Civ IV is installed in a seperate folder called c:\games\civ4

That's how mine is.
C:\Games\Civilization Gold\Beyond the Sword
with the C2C mod being the Beyond the Sword\Mods folder
It is a fresh install too. I wiped the HD, reinstalled the OS and had some updates, and then Civ4.
Occasionally, Win7 will do a few more updates. I suppose that could have an effect, depending on what those are.

The updates don't seem to be the issue.
It almost seems like a firewall issue blocking it from proceeding, however I have civilization4.exe as allowed through the firewall and my settings are the same as the other computer, which worked to Vista, before I installed Windows 7.

Windows 7 has a "HomeGroup" option available in the Network section. It says that's mainly for file sharing for other computers or printers. I haven't created one, yet I can play Civ4 BTS normally and the 2nd computer can print from my printer hooked up to the router.
Could this HomeGroup block some files associated with C2C and other mods or games?
We tried Birth of the Federation and neither of us could see the other's game to join.
This is getting frustrating. :(

Have you tried turning off the Firewall completely.

Top Bottom