Micro Challenge V

kossin

Deity
Micro Challenge Central

After a long hiatus (my laptop's HD and MB fried up), the 5th instalment is finally here! As promised, this one looks at research.

I'd ask for spoilers to be used so that nothing is given away too easily. You're free to talk about anything else though.

Be advised that you may find answers if you look at spoilers...

Micro Challenge V

You are Shaka. [Civ Illustrated]

This is your start. I took the liberty of playing the first 50 turns... poorly.
Spoiler :

These are the techs I researched (and a few extra that were given as freebie!).
Spoiler :

Shaka isn't a techer by any stretch, yet he's quite greedy.
He's forgotten to tell his workers about cottages (despite the knowledge of Pottery) and will not part himself from any of his possessions.

The challenge: complete the following tasks:
Normal :): complete Alphabet by turn 70. Do not delete/gift any units or cities. No cottages allowed!
Spoiler :

Hard :devil:: complete Alphabet by turn 68. Do not delete/gift any units or cities. No cottages allowed!

Nightmare :wallbash::hammer2:[pissed]: complete Alphabet by turn 67. Do not delete/gift any units or cities. No cottages allowed!
Spoiler :

In case there's any further doubt, you must be able to build research on either turn 70, 68 or 67 to complete the task, not the in-between-turns.

Settings
To avoid problems, events and barbarians will be disabled.
Always peace is on for this one as well as no city flip by culture.
Finally, no technology trading is enabled as well... no trading for you!

Difficulty
Economical recovery... for the REXers out there.
I didn't test very extensively to get these difficulty settings (basically, I added 5&10 turns for end date - blame my laziness to recreate the challenge)... maybe you can do even better than the nightmare difficulty :goodjob:

Solution
To be posted later...

Attachments

• Micro Challenge V.CivBeyondSwordSave
    111.9 KB · Views: 131
Noooo!
I missed. Time for a second run. :mad:

I need to concentrate. And focus on a pattern. Look at this remaining treasury. Look at that useless building.

Time to retry.

Spoiler :
T69 Alphabet. And I likely guess that shaving turns to approach T67 is getting increasing harder just like shaving turns on a cultural victory or a space game.

EDIT: Well, come to think, what a cheap post of mine. Those S&Tales people made me ******ed.

Anyways, it boils down to set up your trade route asap and also with foreigners (OB).
Also, get the libraries up asap. And and don't fear to work bad tiles like unlighthoused coast tiles and starving your population is the urge for game survival is real. Sometimes, a huge ReX demands sacrifices. Also, keep augmenting your treasury until your capital library is up, that will boost the modifier even more. And most possibly, don't tech in other % than 0 or 100 science slider.
Because Alphabet has a pre-req tech boost of 20% plus library modifier, going all for science when the library is up is best.

EDIT2: Gosh! It's been like two months I haven't played a regular BTS game. I got used of all those Funky mods.

First (To quote those intelligent people we find in all corners of internets)

Lol at microing people. Historically there were macrobians (who were black (no offense pls) like Shaka btw), but microing people...

As I said, no focus at all. (Real one, not as some pretends)

Change your avatar. That Hatty face gotta got on mah nerves.

Lol third attempt and still T69. I think normal should be T69, then T68 for hard and T67 for nightmare.

Too bad. Imma bad playuh now. Will try again tomorrow. It's gotta be late here.

Noobie's first thoughts:
Spoiler :
Since teching the Alpha-tech is too difficult to Shaka, why cant he do teching Shaka's way, stealing from AI? Another way could be the Oracle, but I don't know if priesthood is too big tech to get for Shaka.

All those aluminium hills are very intelligent from you, kossin.

Spoiler :

best I can do is landing it on the interturn between 67 and 68. :( I wonder if the granaries are actually needed...

Techically, this is T67.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 237
My first attempt - turn 72.
Spoiler :

- Trade routes!!!
- Granary before Library
- "Emphasize GP" option is for you if you are opposed to manual tile management
- The fish city is a little bit tricky. I started with Granary, but next time I'll see if Workboat first is better strategy.

Arrgh. So close...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0063.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0063.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 171
T67 - Though I don't think it's the good way to do it
Spoiler :

Top Bottom