Micro Challenge V

Here you go:

Spoiler :

Room to spare. ;)

Attachments

• Micro Challenge V BC-1320.CivBeyondSwordSave
    130.8 KB · Views: 47
It wasn't the first. :lol: Maybe the third full run, with several replays of the opening.

A bit on the easier side from previous ones Kossin :p
Spoiler :
t68, decided not to go for a second try but completing the roads, farming river tiles, and whipping libraries is pretty much the way to go

Lol everyone is getting better results than me.

Anyways, time to change your difficulties presented in your OP, Kossino.

I did 70 on my first run-through which was just attempted to get a feel for things, and with no particular optimization thinking...

My next try got to 69, and another 5 or so attempts were needed to get it down to 68... I have no idea how to get to 67 from here.

A tip for anyone trying to push from T68 to T67...

Spoiler :
Everyone knows that, when settling a new city, you should set up the trade route BEFORE founding the city, and not after. That is, any Roads should be completed prior to settling. If you settle first and road second, you have to wait a turn before the new city has trade routes.

Founding a city forces the game to run a check, to see what new trade routes exist, and to determine how the pre-existing routes will be affected. But there are other prompts that have the same effect, e.g. declaring war, capturing a city, or closing borders.

Here, after you establish domestic or foreign trade routes, try opening borders with one of the AI before you hit 'end turn.' This will be worth a few extra commerce. :)

A tip for anyone trying to push from T68 to T67...

Spoiler :
Everyone knows that, when settling a new city, you should set up the trade route BEFORE founding the city, and not after. That is, any Roads should be completed prior to settling. If you settle first and road second, you have to wait a turn before the new city has trade routes.

Founding a city forces the game to run a check, to see what new trade routes exist, and to determine how the pre-existing routes will be affected. But there are other prompts that have the same effect, e.g. declaring war, capturing a city, or closing borders.

Here, after you establish domestic or foreign trade routes, try opening borders with one of the AI before you hit 'end turn.' This will be worth a few extra commerce. :)

i certainly did not know this !!!!!! :eek: thanks for the tip!

I just missed turn 67 by 2 beakers, with 3 gc spare in the bank, and an easy other 4 coins available in the capital (working lack for 2 turns) when needed, so straighworward tweaking of the slider will get this down to turn 67.
Spoiler :

My previous attempts were foccusing on granaries. Turns out you do not need them. Build the worker that is almost finished, and a workboat in the east city. LIbrary directly in the capital, and in city 2 after worker. Nothing else.

A big key is for me, was that I was connecting trade routes too quickly... I was connecting them on turn two, hooking up my 1st city. Now, I am waiting until turn 4, but hooking up ALL cities at once. This requires roading before chopping the forrest, but is net gains a couple of coins.

I just missed turn 67 by 2 beakers, with 3 gc spare in the bank, and an easy other 4 coins available in the capital (working lack for 2 turns) when needed, so straighworward tweaking of the slider will get this down to turn 67.
Spoiler :

My previous attempts were foccusing on granaries. Turns out you do not need them. Build the worker that is almost finished, and a workboat in the east city. LIbrary directly in the capital, and in city 2 after worker. Nothing else.

A big key is for me, was that I was connecting trade routes too quickly... I was connecting them on turn two, hooking up my 1st city. Now, I am waiting until turn 4, but hooking up ALL cities at once. This requires roading before chopping the forrest, but is net gains a couple of coins.

Spoiler :
Is there a benefit in completing the worker? You connect your trade routes faster, but delay the library by a turn which costs 11 beakers. (added later - Oh I see, the overflow from the worker means you don't lose a turn completing the library - nice one!

@RJM

Spoiler :
To be honest, I did not play around with skipping the worker, so I am not even sure if it costs a turn on the library or not, but even if it did....

How are you counting 11 beakers? The library allows you to work 2 scintists at 3 beakers each (we are NOT in representation), and these are citizens who could have worked at least a coin riverside. So the library is worth 4, plus its 25% bonus... It adds a maximum of an extra 2. So that is 6, not 11 (and maybe even one o two less, since working coasts is an option).

The worker gains a turn on connecting all 3 cities, which is 6 extra gc, and it gets the flood-plains farm up at least two, and I think it is 3 turns earlier. That must be worth a couple of coins in faster growth.

Agreed, after that, the worker feels like a waste, but at this point, as near as I can tell, it has already paid for itself in the unlikely event that it would delay the library (I am guessing it actually speeds it up instead.)

@RJM

Spoiler :
To be honest, I did not play around with skipping the worker, so I am not even sure if it costs a turn on the library or not, but even if it did....

How are you counting 11 beakers? The library allows you to work 2 scintists at 3 beakers each (we are NOT in representation), and these are citizens who could have worked at least a coin riverside. So the library is worth 4, plus its 25% bonus... It adds a maximum of an extra 2. So that is 6, not 11 (and maybe even one o two less, since working coasts is an option).

The worker gains a turn on connecting all 3 cities, which is 6 extra gc, and it gets the flood-plains farm up at least two, and I think it is 3 turns earlier. That must be worth a couple of coins in faster growth.

Agreed, after that, the worker feels like a waste, but at this point, as near as I can tell, it has already paid for itself in the unlikely event that it would delay the library (I am guessing it actually speeds it up instead.)

Spoiler :
I think the 2 scientists give you 7.5 since the library adds 25%. Base commerce in Don't is 11 (including 2 from trade routes) so library gives 2.75. But I'd forgotten about losing 3 commerce from the tiles the scientists would have been working. Total is 7.25, much closer to your 6 than my 11. As far as farming the flood plain is concerned, in my attempts, I work the ivory until I can whip the library at size 3, so no benefit from 2nd farmed flood plain. On the other hand I'm still 13 beakers short, so perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.

(Added) Dumbo moi! It's not the library in Don't that's delayed, its the one in Build which only has 3 base commerce, so library and 2 scientists give you an extra 8.25 gross, 4.25 net.

Top Bottom