TSG67 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG67 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How many cities did you build and how many did you decide to acquire?
- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Did the new Diplomacy Victory conditions change how you play a diplomacy game?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

This thing is still not quite right. As per normal I hit the "One more turn" button on the victory screen and immediately saved the game without doing anything else. I submitted that save and got this error.
ERROR !!

There was a problem with your submission.

Your entry has not been recorded for the following reasons:

You have submitted a save for Civ5 GOTM 67 at turn 351, but the game finished at turn 350. Please submit a file that you saved immediately after the game was finished.

If you selected an incorrect file then please resubmit using the correct file.

I believe this issue is caused by the same thing that makes the autosaves list the wrong turn number, which is the game updates everything during the AI's turn for the previous turn, creates the autosave then rolls the turn over. I can try submitting the autosave to see if that works, but I did exactly how we've always done it.

Edit: I attempted to submit the final autosave and got this error.
ERROR !!

There was a problem with your submission.

Your entry has not been recorded for the following reasons:

You have submitted an incomplete entry for Civ5 GOTM 67, but you indicated that you completed the game. Please submit a file that you saved after the game was finished, or select 'When I retired' or 'The turn when I was conquered' in the drop-down menu.

If you selected an incorrect file then please resubmit using the correct file. I've attached both the final autosave and the final save that I attempted to submit first.

Final Demographics
Spoiler :

Screenshot of my empire at the end.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2013-08-15_00001.jpg
    2013-08-15_00001.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 2013-08-15_00002.jpg
    2013-08-15_00002.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 1,327
  • TSG67_Diplo_Victory.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
  • AutoSave_0350 AD-1930.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
Game: Civ5 GOTM 67
Date submitted: 2013-08-15
Reference number: 29504
Your name: bjelar
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 2023AD
Turns played: 448
Base score: 1819
Final score: 2043
Time played: 5:52:00

Heh, I finally managed to win :p

Everything that could go wrong did go wrong this time. Pedro smothered me with cities early on, so I killed him. Then everyone hated me for the rest of the game. Lots of wars, which isn't good for a trader-civ.

In the end I had not explored the map, I thought satelites would give me contact with city states, but no. Hard to make enough money to bribe all of them, given my perpetual war.

The system has now accepted that file as my submission.

Date submitted: 2013-08-15
Reference number: 29505
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1930AD
Turns played: 351
Base score: 1410
Final score: 2014
Time played: 5:05:00
Submitted save: TSG67_Diplo_Victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C506701.Civ5Save

@Monthar. One of our adventurous players discovered a loophole. If you play on after victory, you can continue to add to your score, so the date remains your victory date, but the score increases. I modified the submission system to reject saves with the last turn greater than the victory turn. However, as you have discovered, the last turn is not always equal to the victory turn.

I saw the error message from your first attempt, and I immediately adjusted the system to allow the final turn to be one more than the victory turn. That is why your third attempt succeeded.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

It will be a 330 victory because I suck at science.

Actually it was 332. I went Freedom and all else went Order. After I forced world ideology and world religion 4 of them attacked me. But, I stayed peaceful all game with 3 cities until I needed some coal, so I took Gibraltar with some Gallellas. I should really replay it and try and research faster.

- How many cities did you build and how many did you decide to acquire? Just 3.
- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage? Didn't really. Later I used Prophets to turn all the CS.
- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors? There wasn't any until after they all went order and got mad at me.
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? I knew I would be able to get any wonders I wanted and would not be attacked.
-Did the new Diplomacy Victory conditions change how you play a diplomacy game? A little bit, but I should have expanded earlier for a bigger science base.

I've played a few of these GOTMs before, but this is my first time submitting. :)

I didn't fancy the look of the coast at all - sure there was a river, but tundra was visible and no fish in sight. So I moved my settler one tile to the east to settle on the river hill, and my warrior south then east. Doing THAT revealed mountains - I really wanted to settle by as many mountains as possible in this game. Though the VC is diplomacy, science is very important to get to the information age and Globalization as fast as possible.

Capital ended up between two mountains with two stones nearby (ended up being close, but no THAT close to Cape Town - had to buy some tiles to prevent it explaning)

Rushed to writing, to get great library, then calender to bulb Philo with GL. After NC done planted 2nd and 3rd cities.

2nd city went on coast where most seem to be putting capital... 3rd city near Lake Victoria next to mountain. Did not settle 4th city - lack of good spots and early expansion from Brazil made me decide to go with three tall cities, keeping sci costs down.

Social policies - full Tradition, (went left side before landed elite etc to get wonder bonus), up to Consulates, Rati into Seculism, used Oxford to pop Radio to get into Modern as had no coal (and CS were very slow to get, since tech pace of map was so bad - was ahead by like 5-10 techs at this point) - Freedom - increase great person generation and then increase chance of city state election rigging.

Built my police stations and national intelligence agency for first time in a game - very useful having 5-6 level 2 spies at endgame for riggings and some nice coups.

Other key wonders were forbidden palace, leaning tower (used GE for porcelain tower).

Signed 3 RAs while in renaissance, should have paid over the odds for more later to speed up finish time further. Once in info age is just case of stockpiling gold for the 30 turns before vote, then buy up all CS. As you can see from SS I had more than enough votes.

Date submitted: 2013-08-16
Reference number: 29511
Your name: superfurry316
Game date: 1842AD
Turns played: 292
Base score: 886
Final score: 1527
Time played: 2:54:00
Submitted save: tsg67submit_0292 AD-1844.Civ5Save
Renamed file: superfurry316_C506701.Civ5Save

Attachments

• 2013-08-16_00001.jpg
    2013-08-16_00001.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 2013-08-16_00002.jpg
    2013-08-16_00002.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 2013-08-16_00004.jpg
    2013-08-16_00004.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 206
I've played a few of these GOTMs before, but this is my first time submitting. :)
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Glad you decided to join us and congrats on your win and first submission. :thumbsup:

one city T299 victory. I'm sure many players will beat that with multiple cities, but I wanted sub-300...so I'm happy. :banana:

Made a couple of mistakes not having 2 roaming units for barb quests early and built...er lost...CI wonder on the same turn as Gandhi. I really hate that tie goes to the AI thing.

Popped ~7 GS through the normal great person thing and some through faith. Also popped a couple of GE for rush builds.

3-4 RA's most of the game. Didn't scout past Gandhi early, so it took a while to meet Poland/Austria and the CS to the east. That was also a mistake because I could have increased the food/culture earlier through quests and maybe got a DoF from Austria.

Fun game overall. Did not like that one-tile wide land bridge to the east and all the mountains getting the way of exploration.

Thanks for hosting the game.

cas

Reference number: 29514
Your name: Warden USA
Game date: 1953AD
Turns played: 374
Base score: 1544
Final score: 2086
Time played: 4:51:00

I'll post more later after I take a nap. Fun game, but I think I have finally got King down. Still hate the endgame when you just need to click next turn for 20 turns. Thanks for the game though it was really fun

Well, it's pretty sad, but yes, I managed to lose. A few poor choices in the early game and I just never got caught up. I believe I got beat to no less than 5 wonders by 3 turns or less. So that's a lot of mostly wasted hammers.

There was some runaway civ that I never managed to meet that had 900 score while 2nd and 3rd were in the low 500s. (And I was in the low 300s) They were also building wonders from Eras that I hadn't gotten into yet.

Anyway, I was trying to recover, and was starting to feel like my single city was starting to come together and get decent. Then I sent my prophet into Brazil, converted all 3 of his cities (including his holy city) and was patting myself on the back for managing to get such a good religion push out.

So then he declared war on me, showed up with over a dozen knights and swordsmen against my few xbows and a catapult, and captured my capital in 3 turns.

Ouch.

Time to start the replay.

Well, it's pretty sad, but yes, I managed to lose. A few poor choices in the early game and I just never got caught up. I believe I got beat to no less than 5 wonders by 3 turns or less. So that's a lot of mostly wasted hammers.

There was some runaway civ that I never managed to meet that had 900 score while 2nd and 3rd were in the low 500s. (And I was in the low 300s) They were also building wonders from Eras that I hadn't gotten into yet.

Anyway, I was trying to recover, and was starting to feel like my single city was starting to come together and get decent. Then I sent my prophet into Brazil, converted all 3 of his cities (including his holy city) and was patting myself on the back for managing to get such a good religion push out.

So then he declared war on me, showed up with over a dozen knights and swordsmen against my few xbows and a catapult, and captured my capital in 3 turns.

Ouch.

Time to start the replay.

Keep working on it, I remember when I failed every singe GOTM. seeing how other people play the early game and learning what size of military I should have has helped me win easily on King now. Emperor is still pretty hard for me if I have close Neighbors. Keep it up :)

Reference number: 29515
Your name: kkeys
Game date: 1929AD
Turns played: 350
Base score: 1395
Final score: 2021
Time played: 2:52:00
Submitted save: Ahmad al-Mansur_0350 AD-1930.Civ5Save
Renamed file: kkeys_C506701.Civ5Save

That was fun, first time I've played along and i think I'm gonna do this more often. Re-reading over the game adds to the enjoyment for me, so excuse the long spoiler if it's not your thing :)

I continued from where I left off (turns < 100) at the opening actions thread.
Spoiler :

T115 Lost my first chariot archer, but I'm looking forward to having Rio in my hands. Lots of my units are being fed promotions, If nothing else taking his capital will put Brazil down and give me a seemingly more central location to launch trade routes from.

T117 captured Rio, sacrificed my scout in the process though :( Got pyramids and Terracotta Army! :D
Spoiler :

T121 I used a great general from Rio and greatly crippled Sao Paulos land in the process. Sued for peace the next turn, took all of his gold & gpt (126gold, 0gpt) instead of his terrible city Salvador. Salvador shares borders with me but takes no workable tiles from my cities. I still want to found my fourth city aswell.
I think doing this won me the game, I kept Brazil at 2 cities right against my eastern side. That along with the CS to my south and north east kept me safe from all invasions. From there I played diplomatically, getting loans to pick up city states often and controlling the outcome of wars by paying for peace to keep cities alive.

T126 finished colossus in Marrakech, gonna wait 1 turn for 11pop and start a settler.

T140 Oracle gets built by Pacal , it wasn't finished yet so I figured I would throw some turns into it for the chance. Oh well, finishing writers guild in 3 it's so late!

T143 got a pantheon from the faith bonus I recieved from befriending city-states. Picked up desert folklore, not planning on building any faith buildings....

T146 I settle my 4th and final city, minus puppets, and declare Darius my BFF to the world and sell him everything but the kitchen sink.

T164 got my religion, Tithe & 2happiness for every garden.

T174 Forbidden Palace built in a far away land :(

T207 I've run out of workable tiles for my workers to improve. They wait for border pops. My army is a little out-dated, gotta resist keeping so many city-state allies so early in the game. Noticed Assyria were going to capture Brazils Sao Paulo so I paid Assyria to sign peace with Brazil. Don't want my weak buddy Brazil to get run over (we're not public friends, but they keep the bad guys busy). :))

T222 Assyria keeps bullying my city states, though we are friendly and we are together part of the big alliance, I fear if he keeps this up I will have to take him out.

T258 Managed to get Eiffel Tower! Not that I needed it, but it'll help me keep happy with Freedom. It's also on my way to rushing down the tech tree to information era ASAP as I am allied with every city state and am the tech leader at this point in time.

T275 I'm most literate! Leading in tech, I've got all minus 1 CS, that I've recently discovered, as my ally. Set up a vote to make the world ideology freedom, bribed Casimir for his vote. I could pass the vote alone if Casimir doesn't put anything into it yay or nay, it only made sense to bribe his vote. 'Murika.
Spoiler :

T316 My world religion passes! Bribed Poland once again just to be sure, as time goes on this is getting a lot closer.

T347 met last city state, Vancouver. Hidden real well, 5 thousand to overtake poland. A price that must be payed (not really, I got this vote hands down). World leader vote in 2 turns.
I was unable to take out enough loans to cover the cost of the last city state. :(
Y349 I win a Diplomatic Victory with 41 votes.
Spoiler :

Demographics:
Spoiler :

My cities:
Spoiler :

My social policies:
Spoiler :

I built 3 cities, acquired the Brazilian capitol in an early war.

Used the faith I would get from CS allies to get a small religion going for my cities. Then with an awful amount of votes, and bribing, I got the world religion set to my own. Giving me a huge foothold for victory vote-wise

Brazil hated it at first. Despite being hated by Brazil, I was able to pay off Assyria and Persia multiple times to spare Brazil. Doing this kept a border between myself and the rest of the continent, which let me keep a very small army that was only dominant for ~the first third of the game.

I primarily played prince throughout my hours in Civ 5, but I know when I play king I gotta cut back on the wonders and keep a small force of good army units early game (I prefer chariot archers, or horsemen)

- Did the new Diplomacy Victory conditions change how you play a diplomacy game?
Yes, science was super important up until my spies could be used for votes. Then it was all about money and bribing everyone/everything around me. I didn't get some of the nice wonders, like forbidden palace, but I had the money flow to make up for it.

Date submitted: 2013-08-17
Reference number: 29522
Your name: slugster
Game date: 1725AD
Turns played: 256
Base score: 1077
Final score: 2111
Time played: 14:33:00
Submitted save: TSG67_slugster_0256 AD-1730.Civ5Save
Renamed file: slugster_C506701.Civ5Save

My first GOTM in more than 2 years! And it went okay I think, even if I had a slow start, but I guess that is normal on this map. The barbs were quite aggressive and the AI (or Poland to be specific) was quite aggressive in wonder building, so it didnt feel like playing on King.

I settled on the hill to east in hope for some extra resources, but got almost nothing. With full Tradition, I went for 4 cities in total with a lot of focus on growth for the first half or maybe 2/3 of the game. This included sending caravans with food between my own cities even when it goes against the UA of Morocco. I build the NC before settling the next two cities (for which I bought both settlers with gold). My second city was in the floodplains towards brazil and the third I settled up north when I discovered lots of iron up there. Placing the third was really hard since Lake Victoria was very tempting, but I wanted a coastal city for both third and forth so they could send food to each other. The last city was build quite late in the game but with a +10 food cargo ship a late city can easily catch up and be worth it.

Quite early, I build 3 archers and that (+the warrior) was all my military for 99% of the game. The archers proved really good for clearing out barb camps to earn influence at some early critical city states. The AI in BNW seems less inclined to attack you as long as you play "nice" so that's what I did. I also used the zero-interest loans heavily, so the early friendship with India and Persia gave me money up front to rushbuy stuff and invest in city-states.

In the last half of the game, I focused on popping Great Scientists and maximizing research aggrements with porcelain tower and full Rationalism, which all paid off pretty good in the end.

Your name: caeru71
Game date: 1955AD
Turns played: 376
Base score: 1565
Final score: 2086

Thanks for the game :)

Date submitted: 2013-08-17
Reference number: 29528
Your name: cpm4001
Game date: 1939AD
Turns played: 360
Base score: 1183
Final score: 1666
Time played: 3:03:00
Submitted save: cpm4001_TSG67.Civ5Save
Renamed file: cpm4001_C506701.Civ5Save

This was very fun; I enjoyed my first GotM and will definitely do more of them in the future!
I did a Tradition 3-City Opening because of a perceived lack of space on the map (I settled my third city and then discovered Lake Victoria right nearby...sigh...). I never got into a war and so acquired no cities that way.

I took the Desert Folklore pantheon which let me crank out faith; I ultimately did found a religion but didn't spread it too much (the Maya were spamming their religion so I had to be a bit more defensive than offensive.) The Faith output really paid off in the late game, though, as it let me get my hands on a number of Great Engineers and Scientists. Espionage-wise, I plunked spies in city-states I couldn't reach with trade routes (Morocco's UA and the Treaty Organization tenet really meshed well) and used them to rig the elections there to keep my influence high.

Diplomacy went surprisingly well, especially considering for most of the game my "army" consisted of two scouts, an upgraded Warrior, and an archer in each of my cities. I did build four Berber Calvary in the late game and a few aircraft, which may have helped dissuade my neighbor Brazil from attacking me (they did randomly Denounce me but got in a nasty war with Persia shortly thereafter, which probably helped too.) India, Assyria, the Maya, Persia, and Brazil spent a lot of time killing each other, to little effect (though the Maya eventually got wiped out.) Otherwise, I had a ton of Incense nearby and traded that with most everyone for either GPT or other luxuries.

Because I beelined Printing Press, I fell pretty far behind tech-wise (I was something like 6th in Literacy for a while.) Between this and the difficulty level, I missed out on most of the early and mid-game wonders (especially to Pedro AKA Santa; he was wonderspamming). This only affected me in that I chose not to go after too many of them, though losing the Forbidden Palace hurt a bit.

Not especially, though since I was the WC host the whole game I was able to get Freedom passed as the world ideology. Conveniently, this let me keep that ideology to get the Treaty Organization tenet (which kept me allied with a number of city-states) and also helped me to flip Austria from Order to Freedom, which gave me an extra ally (though that really didn't do anything to help me win the World Leader vote.) I'm pretty sure I could've won earlier if certain other civs had been more cooperative by getting into the Atomic Era sooner (I had to go to Telecommunications to trigger the World Leader vote, which took a while.)

This was very fun; I enjoyed my first GotM and will definitely do more of them in the future!

Welcome to GotM! Nicely done on your first GotM and you can always go back to play any of the older ones, even the ones from vanilla and GnK, while you wait for the next GotM.

ugh...lost horribly...before t150

Was warring with Brazil alongside assyria...and they killed me.

might try again sometime with more miliatary.

Top Bottom