New unit: Earthworm (dec. 6, 2013)

ruby_sauce

Outside the box
Unit is game tested

Update dec. 9, 2013: Added improved version of unit32 and small PCX file to the download. Credit goes to Vuldacon, who made the improved versions. Thanks!

Previews:

Animations (better speeds ingame)
(default - fidget - default - fortify - attackB - attackA - Victory - fortify - attackA - death)

run animations:
(run x2, alternate run x2)

An earthworm unit I thought up. I started by screwing around a bit, but I got more and more into it and eventually I decided to make the entire thing after all. And I'm glad I did.

I made 2 run animations, because while I think the undergound one looks quite good ingame, some might not like it. The alternate run is a more.. "normal" run, I guess, and you just have to edit the INI file (make sure to also change the sound when you do!)

I have been screwing around with the sounds for a long time, and they sync up nicely now. I think this unit has taken the most time of any unit I made..

so, ENJOY!

download HERE

This unit won unit of the month 2013! it was by default, but it was the best anyway... :)

it got :trophy3rd: in the annual competition!

Last edited:
Nice :goodjob:. All those teeth :eek:! :lol:. Would love to see this in a mod with Tom2050's sandworm. I was wondering what animal is it eating?

hi ruby, you've been making stuff for years! this is brilliant, i wish i played civ3 still . . .

ruby sauce... I made a new Civ Specific units_32 and small pcx IF you want them.
The units_32.pcx uses the Original Civ Palette and the small pcx has a new palette...that was simply to smooth the outer edge of the Worm.

Attachments

• EW units 32 and small.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 131
ruby sauce... I made a new Civ Specific units_32 and small pcx IF you want them.
The units_32.pcx uses the Original Civ Palette and the small pcx has a new palette...that was simply to smooth the outer edge of the Worm.

Its always useful :). To be honest I never bother with applying a palette to the unit32 image, because if you paste it into the file with the other units it automatically changed the palette to the palette of that file.. And since it is pretty much always distinguishable from all the other units I don't think its important.

But nonetheless, thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

That looks great, ruby_sauce! :goodjob:

ruby sauce... it is very important to load the units_32 palette to the units_32 image in order to make it correct and check it. People will get Civ Specific Colors were they should not be and the Civ Specific colored areas will not have them in some areas. That and the Shadows are always a problem because they show as purple in game on the pop up advisor screen so I never add shadows.

ruby sauce... it is very important to load the units_32 palette to the units_32 image in order to make it correct and check it. People will get Civ Specific Colors were they should not be and the Civ Specific colored areas will not have them in some areas. That and the Shadows are always a problem because they show as purple in game on the pop up advisor screen so I never add shadows.

I do remove shadows (I did it this time too), but I always just added the unit_32 and let the palette adjust itself... I have to select the unit in the editor with the unit32 image right there when I test it (and i always test my units) and they pretty much always look fine, so I never bothered with it.

ruby sauce... This is an enlarged image of your units_32 to show what I am talking about.

I use a Palette that colors all Civ Specific Colors Green so I can check to make sure they are in the correct places.

When making your units_32 images, select Palette #1 in Flicster, which is red, and generate the image to use. That will have the Civ Specific Reds for the units_32 Palette.

If you look at the original units_32 images, you will see that they do not use any shadows surrounding them. The shadows happen when resizing from large to small, then when the image is pasted on the units_32 file the nearest colors are applied.

I mentioned this because I am sure you work hard on your units and want everything correct.

Attachments

• units_32 Example.png
    units_32 Example.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 192
Oh my, I checked it again and you are completely right! I will put your version in the download because it is quite a big issue. Thanks for pointing it out!

You do Excellent Work on your units ruby sauce.

It might help you to have the included Palettes and use some of the information I wrote in my tutorial Long Ago. There are of course different techniques for making the Civ Specific units_32 images but as with most technical procedures, it helps to have the facts so we can gain the end results we want. I use Paint Shop Pro but the information can be applied to other Graphics Editors.

I understand the many difficulties concerning the Graphics Work we do here and simply trying to help where I can.

You can find the tutorial here

I posted my tutorial on Zulu's Thread because he had already started the Thread at that time.

My Tutorial:CIV_Specific_units_32_pcx_files, End of Page One, Post #20
My Examples of Corrected units_32 images: Page Two, Posts #21, #22, #24

OK, enough concerning this... Back on Topic. Great Unit ruby sauce :goodjob:

Top Bottom