Great Work UI Tweaks

What do you think of this MOD's potential?

• Completely Impossible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partially Doable

• Concept Needs Improvement

• Total voters

Kraken98

Chieftain
Hi, I have fallen in love with all the mods the Community has released. It is now my mission to customize Civ V to what I feel is the best compromise between aesthetics, game balance, and realism. :D However, I'm not very good at modding, so after checking out EUI, I figured maybe I could start with a teeny little corner of the UI elements.

Here's my idea --- Change the visual elements of the Great Works screen so that it is easier to identify age, type, and origin of a Great Work at a glance.

Please give me any feedback you may have on feasibility, improvements, and coding how-to for this particular idea.

1) Shape dictates type of Great Work. I was thinking
Triangle . . . Music, (think of musical triangles, and some of the unique guitars)
Square . . . .Writing, (think of books, paper, mud tablets, et cetera)
Pentagon . . For my own purposes (I'm hoping to someday incorporate statues :))
Circle . . . . .Art (an arbitrary decision on my part)
Hexagon . . .Artifacts (another arbitrary decision)

I decided on circle for Art, hexagon for Artifact, because they use the same slots, yet I still want to be able to distinguish them, circles and hexagons are the closest of simple shapes, yet still distinct from one another.

2) Border Color dictates Age the Great Work was created.
Red . . . . Prehistoric -------- (for an eventual mod of mine)
Orange . .Ancient
Yellow . . Classical
Green . . .Medieval
Blue . . . .Renaissance
Purple . . .Industrial
The borders for the following Ages would be the indicated color alternating with white, similar to City-State borders
Red . . . . Modern
Orange . .Atomic
Yellow . . Information
Green . . .Genetic ----------- (for an eventual mod of mine)
Blue . . . .Space/Orbital ----- (for an eventual mod of mine)
Purple . . Beyond Earth ----- (for an eventual mod of mine)

3) In the center is the icon of the Civilization which created the Great Work.

For the sake of example, we have a Orange-framed hexagonal depiction of the Inca's symbol. It was an Incan artifact from the Ancient Era.

A valid alternative may be to not do shapes of any sort, leaving everything as squares, and keep the civilization symbols to indicate origin of the Great Work.
We could use the border to identify the type of Great Work by color, one color for each, Art, Artifacts, Writings, Music, and my too-be-modded Statues.
Maybe we could then overlay the civilization icon with a numeral or letter to represent the Age it was created in.

What do you guys think?

Top Bottom