TECH Errors Corrected Heuristically

Kraken98

Chieftain
After seeing some mods that monkeyed with the tech tree, I decided that I would like to correct some of the glaring defects and oddities in the tech tree, as well as extend it both back into prehistory, and on into the Future. Archery --> Wheel? Printing Press --> Metallurgy? Internet without Computers? Mobile Tactics --> Particle Physics? So without further ado, here's the tech setup I was thinking of. Tech Errors Corrected Heuristically
Please add any criticism you may have to help flesh out this idea, correct sneaky errors, suggest effects, reroute my tree or the connections in later eras.

I appreciate anything you guys would be willing to pipe up about.

Hmm iam curious about what mods are you talking)?

For me the weirdest thing in the tech tree is Theology leading to Compass. Perhaps it's supposed to be the "moral compass" ;)

@Gilgamesch: I've been inspired in part thanks to the Community Call to Power Mod, the Civ IV Caveman 2 Cosmos concept, Beyond the Future, the Prehistoric Mod, and a bit of Beyond Earth (which is looking about as good as a Mod :))

@PawelS: I very much agree, Religion to Education makes sense due to the religious and educational influence of monasteries and other religious buildings throughout history, but Religion to Compass? Either it's like a "moral compass" as you said, or maybe it has something to do with "God, gold, and glory".

Maybe it has to do with Jesuits wanting to spread their religion to the New World? :dunno: It's an idea...

@Gilgamesch: I've been inspired in part thanks to the Community Call to Power Mod, the Civ IV Caveman 2 Cosmos concept, Beyond the Future, the Prehistoric Mod, and a bit of Beyond Earth (which is looking about as good as a Mod :))

Lol, i thought something similar, also since i created the new tech tree for CCTP (not released yet) with more then 600 technologies.

I can say its not always possible to make historic correctly pre requests.
At least not from the view of game balancing, but i think i have done a not so bad work at all;)

@PawelS: I'm in the process of researching and constructing a tech tree and was wondering the same thing. What I discovered is the Chinese invented the compass, not for navigation, but for a spiritual form of urban planning believe it or not. So there is your connection. :rolleyes:

That's interesting, according to wikipedia it has something to do with feng shui. I'd never have thought of that :)

@Unicivilized:Would you care to talk about that a bit more? You've piqued my interest, and it'd be handy to have a back-up connection reason.

Early instruments and techniques

The history of feng shui covers 3,500+ years before the invention of the magnetic compass. It originated in Chinese astronomy. Some current techniques can be traced to Neolithic China, while others were added later (most notably the Han dynasty, the Tang, the Song, and the Ming).

The astronomical history of feng shui is evident in the development of instruments and techniques. According to the Zhouli, the original feng shui instrument may have been a gnomon. Chinese used circumpolar stars to determine the north-south axis of settlements. This technique explains why Shang palaces at Xiaotun lie 10° east of due north. In some cases, as Paul Wheatley observed, they bisected the angle between the directions of the rising and setting sun to find north. This technique provided the more precise alignments of the Shang walls at Yanshi and Zhengzhou. Rituals for using a feng shui instrument required a diviner to examine current sky phenomena to set the device and adjust their position in relation to the device.

The oldest examples of instruments used for feng shui are liuren astrolabes, also known as shi. These consist of a lacquered, two-sided board with astronomical sightlines. The earliest examples of liuren astrolabes have been unearthed from tombs that date between 278 BC and 209 BC. Along with divination for Da Liu Ren the boards were commonly used to chart the motion of Taiyi through the nine palaces. The markings on a liuren/shi and the first magnetic compasses are virtually identical.

The magnetic compass was invented for feng shui and has been in use since its invention. Traditional feng shui instrumentation consists of the Luopan or the earlier south-pointing spoon (指南針 zhinan zhen)—though a conventional compass could suffice if one understood the differences. A feng shui ruler (a later invention) may also be employed. - Wikipedia

@Kraken98: Here is an explanation for the compass.

Sorry

Attachments

• Perfect_Attila_0003 BC-3955.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
  • Casimir III_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    590 KB · Views: 189
  • Enrico Dandolo_0375 AD-1730.Civ5Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 158
  • Ramesses II_0065 BC-1400.Civ5Save
    657.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Washington_0165 AD-1700.Civ5Save
    752.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Wonder_Zulu_0349 AD-1929.Civ5Save
    843.1 KB · Views: 149
Always interesting to see what different ideas people have for future technologies -- I've been working on an expanded incarnation of my own Future Worlds mod, so I've been pretty focused on my own ideas. Seeing what other people have come up with is a breath of fresh air :3

(I'm rather curious what Cloud Seeding will do!)

I sure hope it has to do with rain-making :)

Well, that's what I'd imagine -- it just reminds me of how back in the 70s and 80s it seemed like cloud seeding was the big thing as a hopeful solution to droughts, but it doesn't seem like anything has come of it. So I'm wondering if it'll be more of an Atomic era tech reflecting those early efforts, or a futuristic tech reflecting more comprehensive methods of weather control.

Either way, I imagine there'll be some building that improves the yields of surrounding desert tiles...

Always interesting to see what different ideas people have for future technologies -- I've been working on an expanded incarnation of my own Future Worlds mod, so I've been pretty focused on my own ideas. Seeing what other people have come up with is a breath of fresh air :3

(I'm rather curious what Cloud Seeding will do!)

Here's a few I came up with if you want some more inspiration:

Advanced Prosthesis
Artificial Photosynthesis
Antimatter Weapons
Cloning
Cryonics
De-extinction
Directed Energy Weapons
High Temperature Superfluids
Hypersonic Aircraft
Meta materials
Molecular Assembly