Cartoon Shooting in Denmark

dutchfire

Deity
Retired Moderator
BBC

Danish police have said three officers were shot and wounded at blasphemy debate in Copenhagen where the French ambassador was speaking.

Two gunmen are said to be still at large.

Reports say up to 40 shots were fired outside the venue in the Danish capital.

Controversial Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks, who has drawn caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad, was also present at the debate.

Shortly after the attack, a message appeared on the Twitter feed of French ambassador Francois Zimeray saying he was unharmed.

So far, it looks like no-one was killed.

Well. Look:

Either people stop drawing cartoons that upset people.

Or people stop shooting people for drawing cartoons that upset people.

Well. Look:

Two can play this game. Just using your logic.

Either people stop wearing clothes that arouse people.

Or people stop raping people who wear clothing that arouses people.

Or we simply outlaw this religious nonsense and have people shoot each other over sensible issues, like wealth, food and housing.

I would shoot you right now for a pizza with extra cheese.

At least you can nourish yourself and a couple of others with the pizza. Bibles and Korans don't do much for someone who is starving. Although, maybe, the leather binding on some copies could be edible if you boiled it long enough.

Two can play this game. Just using your logic.

Either people stop wearing clothes that arouse people.

Or people stop raping people who wear clothing that arouses people.

I actually agree.

What's wrong with this logic?

I'm not going to pretend it's particularly enlightening, mind you. But I can't seem to fault it.

Well. Look:

Well the first option is out of the question and absolutely non-negotiable so I guess we have to go with option 2.

Basically, it boils down to someone's right to free speech trumping someone else's right to not have their religious sensibilities offended. I firmly believe freedom of religion only covers your right to worship whatever and however you want (within reason of course), but it does not protect your religious beliefs from criticism or even mockery. Thus, in my opinion, free speech trumps freedom of religion and we need to structure our society and our laws to reflect that.

I don't see why people can't stop drawing cartoons. I myself never draw any at all.

(No, no. I'm joking. I know what you're saying really.)

In my, serious, opinion any religion that can be mocked isn't much of a religion.

Sure, tell me about it (or else I'll take absence of evidence as evidence of absence and proceed from there ;) )

Well. I could tell you about it. Such as it is. And I daresay you could mock it. What I really meant is that your mocking of it wouldn't affect me in any way.

It might even encourage me to consider it more deeply.

Top Bottom