Civil War in Iran

Not to put too fine a point on it, but by the standards of the region Iran stands out as a half-decent democracy. Even when compared against all other countries I would rank it as a better democracy than, say, Russia, and probably better than Turkey.
Plus, the BBC was reporting that some of the anti-government protestors were supporting a return to monarchy or military rule. While it wasn't clear if this was any more than a few wierdos, the "Arab Spring" taught us not to be too hasty in labeling anti-government movement as pro-democratic.

I'm not sure what reality you're living in but the Ayatollah still has all the power. It is a dictatorship with the illusion of a democracy which is more dangerous than just a 'normal' dictatorship because at least then people see it for what it is.

You will note I didn't call Iran a full democracy.
While the Ayatollah and the clerics have far too much influence over the Iranian government, I would point out that unlike, say, the Saudis and Gulf Princes Jarvanka are busy sucking up to, Iran does hold reasonably fair elections* with changes in political parties. Remember 2009 in Iran. They were rioting and protesting because they felt their democratic process had been bypassed by an unelected coterie. You don't protest a failure of democratic process if you don't believe in the democratic process. Compared to the sad litany of sordid little military dictatorships and corrupt princelings, one could do far worse in the democratic governance category than Iran.

*If one get approved by the Guardian Council, which the BBC has noted is becoming more accepting of reformist candidates.

Top Bottom