Leadership Reformation

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win"
- The Art of War, Sun Tzu​

Requirement:
  • Brave New World (Required)
  • Community Patch (RECOMMENDED)
Features:
  • Great Generals along with their combat bonus receives a unique promotion to temporarily grant to units in nearby tiles! (See table)
  • Great Admirals along with their combat bonus also receives a unique promotion to temporarily grant to ships in nearby tiles! (See table)
  • These Great Generals and Admirals may earn experience from having nearby enemy units killed in their proximity.
  • All Great Generals irregardless of their unique traits or not will receive an ideological promotion when their nation is under an ideology. However, if the nation hits under an unhappiness threshold where rebels would pop out, all the Great Generals of that nationality will no longer receive that bonus until their nation can be happy.

Q: How do Great Generals spread their promotions?
Allow me to draw you a diagram. It is a grassland battlefield with two rivers. You have yourself two Great Generals by your side.
Spoiler :
The Great Generals are of course talented and great, but these two pairs bicker among each other. They do not know which battalion they command. However, following the Codex Astartes "doctrine" that all Great Generals follow.

Huh, what just happened? All Great Generals of course have first priority over the unit, they're on. All Great Generals spread their promotions from two tiles away and the "doctrine" states you have first priority over the first battalion northwest of your direction, and then rotate counter-clockwise at the same time to determine which battalion the Great Generals get to command, and overall you get this battle formation.

Q: Your mod is broken. I can't see the UnitPanel.

This.

That is a nice idea, but the negative promotions will never have any effect on the human player - those guys will just be cashed in immediately for a citadel or luxes. It might affect the AI negatively, though.

That is a nice idea, but the negative promotions will never have any effect on the human player - those guys will just be cashed in immediately for a citadel or luxes. It might affect the AI negatively, though.

Which is why the AI Great Generals will have a promotion specifically for AIs that has the bad promotions removed in 25? turns to become a regular great general.

It seems to me that a general who has negative traits is, by definition, not a "Great" general. Not every general in history was wise and intelligent, it's true, but those who weren't can't be marked as great generals, surely.

Which is why the AI Great Generals will have a promotion specifically for AIs that has the bad promotions removed in 25? turns to become a regular great general.

I like the idea but it seems a little bit over-designing here. Might as well get rid of the negative GGs and focus on the good GGs.

Perhaps raise the chance of this happening to 50%? 30% is quite low for a unit we normally only get 4 or 6 of depending on how much war we partake in.

I also have to question why the heck even bother with straight up negative bonuses. The very point of a general being "great" is that they are better than the rest. I would be cool with bonuses with negative side effects. Such as giving +20% extra combat but also reducing speed by 1 for example.

You never cease to amaze me Enginseer. While I usually don't agree with your changes or in this case really see the point of them at all, you're still amazing.
Hats off to you for actually doing something, all the time.

You never seize to amaze me Enginseer. While I usually don't agree with your changes or in this case really see the point of them at all, you're still amazing.
Hats off to you for actually doing something, all the time.

Cease?

Also, nice concept here, Enginseer. Might be a good idea (in the future) to cross-post your mods in the modpacks/mod components subforum (if you do not already), as you might get a bit more traction there as well.

G

I would just like to take this moment to point out that your language is terrible. Why have multiple words that are pronounced the exact same way but are spelled differently? It's almost as bad as having a multiple words with different pronunciations and the same spelling, you people and your filthy language disgusts me :lol:

I would just like to take this moment to point out that your language is terrible. Why have multiple words that are pronounced the exact same way but are spelled differently? It's almost as bad as having a multiple words with different pronunciations and the same spelling, you people and your filthy language disgusts me :lol:

Don't look at me, I didn't make it. But, to be fair, "seize" and "cease" aren't pronounced the same way, though it is nigh-impossible to phonetically explain their pronunciation. 'Seize' = 'seeze,' whereas 'cease' = 'seese.' :)

G

If it wasn't for Homonyms and Homophones, how would puns exist? ;)

I also have to question why the heck even bother with straight up negative bonuses. The very point of a general being "great" is that they are better than the rest. I would be cool with bonuses with negative side effects. Such as giving +20% extra combat but also reducing speed by 1 for example.

Well, that's what I have in mind. Some of the bad Great General's Promotion provides a bonus, but at a slightly bad cost. One example that is included would be the Unresourceful Raider promotion which nearby units near the Great General take 3 damage if it ends in the enemy territory, but can pillage improvements at no movement speed cost.

Sneak peek of a Great General passing on his promotion to his or her fellow soldiers!

Well... As much as I like how interesting the mod is, I doubt its practicality. Don't you think the players would disband this "Cowardly" GG as soon as he is born?

I actually think it's interesting as well as situationally useful. That particular promotion certainly has its uses, especially for ranged units. -5% CS isn't a big deal to me.

Well... As much as I like how interesting the mod is, I doubt its practicality. Don't you think the players would disband this "Cowardly" GG as soon as he is born?
Pretty much, what Edaka just said. Having melee units able to not take damage from melee units 1/4 time is pretty good in exchange for that you deal less damage and take more damage if the melee do in fact hit you by only 5%.

Beta Version, but all of the promotions should be 100% working. Community Patch isn't required, but recommended!

If Gazebo get back and aids in adding in a specific LUA snippet, then I can fully polish the mod and release it, but for now this will have to do.

Hi Enginseer,
Testing out your mod, I actually think of an idea. Can GG gather experience like a normal unit would? like the experience earned by surrounding units is added to the GG. When the GG upgrades to Level 2, the bonus effects are accentuated.

For instance, the culture gained from GG having a Reeducation trait is enhanced with a higher level GG.

Or for Negative GG trait like butcher,
"-15% Combat Strength to both Allied and Hostile units."
A level 2 Butcher GG can be more useful like this:
"-15% Combat Strength to Allied units and -30% to Hostile units."

Don't know if this is possible but it makes battles so much fun knowing it could "train" your GG.

EDIT: I really think people ought to try out this mod. It's super fun when you get a Inspired Homeguard GG, particularly you are playing defensively. Enginseer I think you should consider posting to the general mod forum instead of here in the subforum for more attention.

Hi Enginseer,
Testing out your mod, I actually think of an idea. Can GG gather experience like a normal unit would? like the experience earned by surrounding units is added to the GG. When the GG upgrades to Level 2, the bonus effects are accentuated.

For instance, the culture gained from GG having a Reeducation trait is enhanced with a higher level GG.

Or for Negative GG trait like butcher,
"-15% Combat Strength to both Allied and Hostile units."
A level 2 Butcher GG can be more useful like this:
"-15% Combat Strength to Allied units and -30% to Hostile units."

Don't know if this is possible but it makes battles so much fun knowing it could "train" your GG.

EDIT: I really think people ought to try out this mod. It's super fun when you get a Inspired Homeguard GG, particularly you are playing defensively. Enginseer I think you should consider posting to the general mod forum instead of here in the subforum for more attention.

Aye, it is possible to level up your Great General since LeeS's Rome Scipio did it, but the AIs seem to have no way to levelup the Great General even if it is the only promotion available in the vanilla version.

But I haven't tested it out with the CBP and see how the AI would react. If it works, I'll give it a try.

Top Bottom