MELI1 - There aint no leaving the Union - 5CC AW Monarch

Melifluous

King
OK,

So after many, many magnificent games with friends I have decided to start my own SG.

Simple Enough Premise.

ALWAYS WAR
5 CITY CHALLENGE
MONARCH DIFFICULTY

And thats about it.

After a little discussion with Greebley, he suggested that we amend/clarify the 5CC part.

IMPORTANT BIT
We must only have at most 5 cities when we press enter to finish a turn. We cannot build any more cities if we already have 5 cities.
IF we can capture 3 cities in one turn, then we can, this may allow us to create a max of 2 armies :goodjob:

I would propose these Map/Civ conditions

Map Size: Standard
Map Age: 4 Billion
Map Shape: Continents, 70%
Map temp etc, middle of the road, temperate, etc...

CIV CHOICE: The Dutch.

Fooled you there huh? Swiss mercenaries will help, Agri and Sea-faring rocks.

Player Roster.

1) Melifluous
2) Betazed
3) Aggie
4) Greebley
5) Corrado
6) Jack Merchant
7) Kuningas

Game will start when 5 slots filled (EDIT: Definately not before tomorrow morning (Thursday GMT), Chelsea are playing tonight and beers and AW civ dont mix)

Thankyou

Melifluous

I'm new to AW, but definitely want to try it out. Would you accept me in?

This is going to be tough. I look forward to the challenge.

Any ideas on the civ and civtraits.

I would go for commercial and scientific here.

IMHO, Militaristic is going to be of little use to us. We only need 5 barracks and can only have one army and military leaders cannot rush wonders.

Industrious is also of little use since we only have to develop 5 cities.

Seafaring or expansionist is also of little use since we will hardly do any initial exploration.

Agricultural is also of no use since we need to grow only 5 cities.

Thus, I see only commercial and scientific as the only traits that give us sustained benefit thru out the game.

So what are the commercial and scientific civs in C3C?

Originally posted by betazed
Any ideas on the civ and civtraits.

I would go for commercial and scientific here.

Good grief, does no-one read my posts at all?

It clearly states that I intend to take the Dutch.

I would need VERY persuasive arguments to change that.

Melifluous

:p

For me the newbie part is the "5 CC" part. Not tried one of those before.

Anyway, I am checking in. It should be very challenging.

I don't think it will happen, but I assume that if we capture 7 or 11 cities in a single turn, can we build our 3rd and 4th army??

For research we already have pottery so maybe masonry at full research for walls? I can rememberwhat tech Seafaring/the dutch will start with.

[Edit: The Dutch are fine with me. This will make my list of AW civs as Rome, India, Maya, Babylon, and now the Dutch. Haven't won the Babylon one yet. I would also say getting the GLib is even more important here than normal to make sure we can get to our UU.]

Originally posted by Melifluous

It clearly states that I intend to take the Dutch.

I would need VERY persuasive arguments to change that.

Oops sorry. Should have read the post in detail.

IIRC, Dutch is agricultural and seafaring. IMHO, these might be exactly the wrong traits for an AW. :(

EDIT: A defensive UU in an AW? Err... I may have played all the wrong AW games but I am yet to win one with a defensive UU. I have won with Riders, Legionnaires, Sipahis, even one with an Aztec UU but never one with a defensive UU.

I would say please reconsider before you start this. This variant is already tough without making it tougher. ;)

OK, here we go.

Agricultural because they build cities quick and desert starts arent a problem. I've played AW games and find that I never have enough time to get enough workers.

Seafaring, well mainly because it comes with the Dutch, and the dutch get Swiss Mercenaries. Also we will start on a coast and will be able to keep a small navy to stop the incessant landings of our enemies.

Mainly I wanted one of the new C3C civs, and the sumerians and byzantines have been played to death.

Melifluous

PS. Oh and Aggie's dutch and I'm going over there at the end of March to meet some of the guys.

Originally posted by Greebley
I can rememberwhat tech Seafaring/the dutch will start with.

That was it!

I remembered the other reason I liked the Dutch...

They start with Alphabet! On Monarch the trip to First on Philo and Literature as free tech should make the GLib a gimme.

Melifluous

Originally posted by Melifluous

That was it!

I remembered the other reason I liked the Dutch...

They start with Alphabet! On Monarch the trip to First on Philo and Literature as free tech should make the GLib a gimme.

Melifluous

We will be very unlucky when we are not able to get Philo @ first on monarch having Alphabet and all...

Commercial also starts with Alphabet, but I am just nitpicking here. :)

And I will stop cribbing with this post. :D

Onward ho!

Thanks betazed,

Humble in defeat as always ;)

anyways, Corrado and Jack! both added.

Will ponce about and get a start that I will post midday tomorrow.

I'm out drinking tonight.

Melifluous

If we are worried about the difficulty of this game, one way to make it a bit easier would be to play on a small map. I am willing to try on a Standard one though.

Also a strong strategy might be pillaging pikes. I wonder if the AI would attack a fortified pike, with an attack 4 unit? If not we might be able to go out and completely destroy their production. If we can reduce them to trickles of longbow and spear, I think we should be able to clear the continent. Stack the Pikes with a horse to move first on flat terrain to avoid running into units that when unfortified.

If 1 pike gets attacked, try 2 (and a horse).

At least this is how I would use a defensive UU to our advantage.

I really like the Philo-Lit = GLib idea.

Originally posted by Aggie

We will be very unlucky when we are not able to get Philo @ first on monarch having Alphabet and all...

True, but we will have to prioritize a few other techs first I think (Warrior Code, Bronze working and maybe the Wheel and IW come to mind) since we can't rely on trading for them with Alphabet alone and without iron we're most certainly toast.

I'd still hope for leaders even if we get just the one army since we can at least rush markets, cathedrals and universities with them. Maybe get one early disposable army of swords or horses and throw it away once we get Swiss Mercs for a monster pillaging machine.

Last thing to think of is how are we going to win ? With only 5 cities, we're going to be limited to conquest, space or the rather unlikely 20k culture (as if we could spare a city for that long). Conquest could be rather tricky on a continents map, but 5CC space in a monarchy........

And have a good one Meli :beer:

Originally posted by Greebley
I wonder if the AI would attack a fortified pike, with an attack 4 unit?

Yes, the AI will attack a fortified pike with a knight unit. I have seen it attacking fortified pikes.

The only unit it will not attack directly is an army (it will attack the army with another army if possible and also with artillery units it it has any).

Top Bottom