Hammer of the North v2 PBEM

Fair enough - it just seemed they were more formidable in SP playtesting, which was why I tried it. The Thegn and King were not on Coastal squares however, so whatever killed them was a land unit. Or several land units....

Is it Germany still to play?

Of course, that was what probably happened...Bit of a shame, that aspect of Civ. Not really too realistic ships attacking miles inland where there is not even a river. I will just have to accept that the ships crews made a forced march! ;)

Of course I will tell you what units I used etc. I actually landed Viking Chiefs in Colchester. The one attacking the king got reduced to 1/3 but the one attacking the Thegn only got reduced to about 4/5.
On the Thegn outside of Withby I used a Viking Raider IIRC. He barely survived though. I must say that I don't remember if I lost any units near withby but it's possible that I lost a raider. I could make more detailed reports if you'd like but then I'd expect you to do the same thing. ;)

Edit: With my experience of SP I think your Royal Guard units will be your best defensive units, especially in cities.

so I came home at lunch to RUSH a turn in to you guys. City of Truso added to the German Crown in order to stave off future barbarian raids from that local. City was taken by allied Giant clans of Germany.

Danish Drakkar persuaded to join the English forces for 300 gold...;)

English veteran 80% Drakkar sinks Danish Knarr (and 2 units on board) off the Northumberland coast and is reduced to 60%. At last, some revenge!

Whitby re-occupied (Tributal Taxes taken...no idea if that was a good move). 54 gold plundered.

English emmisaries sent to Germany asking for a loan of any gold they can spare...;)

Please *Bump* me by email if I take more than 24 hours to react. PMs won't help, because I only see them if I come to this thread, anyway...

I am wary of posting my "private" email address on a civ forum (any civ forum) so we'll see how this goes...

Thanks. ;)

Patient English said:
Danish Drakkar persuaded to join the English forces for 300 gold...;)

English veteran 80% Drakkar sinks Danish Knarr (and 2 units on board) off the Northumberland coast and is reduced to 60%. At last, some revenge!

Ah, nice to see Emissary's at work. :)

With some luck the Scots may soon be able to exact some revenge on the Norse as well. ;)

Interesting move... the Franks will have their own emissaries ready soon, although we are not as immediately threatened as the british isles (but who knows, the time may come faster than anticipated) ;)

- Tributal taxes allow cities to collect taxes (wealth) instead of shields (capitalization) - and permits construction of the Danelaw. The Danes received it per event when the first Anglo-Saxon thegn was killed (see Arthedains post two turns back).

Will play my turn ASAP.

This year, citizens of Cherbourg were such alarmed by the sighting of rival viking fleets on the opposite side of the sea - one Danish fleet heavily damaged from stormy weather - and hearing of the Norse plunderings and conquest of Plymton, they were 'much afraid' - fearing the Danes would take refuge within their harbour. As churchmen had no luck in calming the peasants, the city rose in turmoil against ecclesiastical and earthly powers, and this years taxes and storages was lost.

King Charles was busy elsewhere, giving instructions to the first Frankish emissary dispatched on a top secret mission. Also, Frankish missionaries were finally dispatched to the east, and more are sure to follow. King Charles also once again offers gifts of trade to our trusted allies and friends.

Top Bottom