New Unit: Arquebusier | July 11, 2004

Dease

Be Original
The Arquebusier is a 15th-16th century ranged unit, they are armed with an arquebus and effectivley ended the dominance of armoured cavalry in 1525 when 3000 Arquebusiers defeated 8000 French Knights.

The download includes 9 .flc files - AttackA, AttackB, AttackC, Default, Death, Fidget, Fortify, Run, and Victory. It includes a units_32 pic and both pics for the civilopedia. It has custom sounds for the AttackA, AttackB, and Death. The readme file includes all necessary coding for the Civilopedia.txt and the Pediaicons.txt. :D

Previews (Note: the animated preview replays AttackA after AttackC to show that it loops seamlessly ;) But because of a 160frame limit I couldn't include the victory anim )

Download v1.1 ~1mb

Animated Preview :D (all the colours in the smoke are not present ingame, I made a bad error with the palette :()

Attachments

• ArquebusierPreview.gif
    ArquebusierPreview.gif
    315.8 KB · Views: 3,488
You did a really great job on this on Dease. :goodjob:
I am definitely adding it to my mod.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
I knew I shouldn't have made a separate model for the attack! :mad: I'll see what I can do to fix it
EDIT: After looking at the situation, it looks like I'll have to alter all anims in one way or another, not start from scratch but it'll be a good 2-3 days work :sad:

WOW!!!!! THIS is AMAZING! You are getting good fast!! Great unit--Quality and idea, ill put this right to use, I hope you plan to continue on a line of unit that would fit in nicely in civ3(non-futuristic/fictional, ive noticed theres alot of futuristic/fictional unit creators these days lol) Thank you SOO MUCH!!! Good work and keep it comin!!! :goodjob:

Corn Shucker said:
I hope you plan to continue on a line of unit that would fit in nicely in civ3(non-futuristic/fictional...
That sums up my plan very nicely, I like to make units that are real (or at least possible) so that basically anyone who wants to customize thier epic game can :D now I just have to find holes that need filling :rolleyes:

I downloaded the unit and tested it in game and came up with two problems. First of all the sound does not match the firing. This could be one of two reasons (didnt feel like looking lol) either the sound length is too long or he fires ore that one time in the attack animations. How to fix? either make an attack sound that has more than one explosion in it if its that hes firing more than once (or cut down how many times he fires) or just simply shorten the sound length if its too long.

The other problem i encountered is that on certain flc's theres a grey line above the unit (shown in the picture below) I know its not in all of them and thers a very slight chance that its my game but i dont think it is lol. Anyway just thought id let you know what i found. It might not look that obvious in the picture but when it moves with the unit its quite obvious.

Very nice unit i must say again especially for your SECOND UNIT!!! GREAT WORK and im glad that youll be sticking with stuff i can just insert in my game!

Attachments

• line.PNG
    line.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,745
Well I was thinking.. If you ever need to find a unit(s) to do.... I was looking at this site and i was like those are some nice looking leaderheads! lol. I plan to only use the top two (since those are the only era-specific ones) and if i was going to use them i figureded theyd need they're unique unit! So if your ever up to it lol a polish unit or atlantis unit would be cool so i could use these leaderheads. The atlantis is getting a bit fictional, but it would still be beliveable so i figured it'd be cool :d i mean even somthing as light as a altered hoplite with a cool atlantis sheild (even though somthing better would be cooler) but i wouldnt be for some flying fictional atlanis unit :D lol. Just an idea :)

...of coures dom's idea is great too! :D lol id like either one lol

Very nice! Excellent for a first unit. Hopefully you'll stick around in the OpenFX thread so I can ask you more questions! :lol:
Seriously, great work!

@Corny - Sound, hmm.. I put a 3/4second delay before the firing to account for his "setup moves" and it seemed to work ingame although I'll test it out...again. There's another problem with the sound for attackC, I am using the Swordsmanattack.amb file for that but it's not long enough for the 24 frame attack so at the end it kinda sounds like a machine gun. if anyone has a sword attack sound in a single .wav file it'd be appreciated if you could post it so I could alter it a bit and add to the unit.
Grey line - :mad: a palette issue I forgot to correct before releasing, I'll fix that right away, shouldn't take long.

@ Dom Pedro II - sounds cool, I never heard of it before, I'll be sure to check it out :D

@ Kal-el (and anyone else I suppose) - the problem with the sword bieng on the wrong side is much worse than I thought so I don't think I'll fix it because 1. it's not a very obvious error unless pointed out (IMO) 2. to fix it I would have to alter that skeleton of the model which is a huge no-no in OpenFX because then I'd have to start animating from scratch :cry: and 3. I want to do another unit! :D

He seems to fortify with his rifle the way a right hander would hold it and then it skips to the left handed grip for the attacks. I suppose this is a similar oversight to the sword side issue. The animations are a little rough but show good promise :D

That line issue could be a small spot of almost pink transparent color along the top border... I've done that before :) Easy to fix in the Storyboard.

Is he picking his nose in the fidget? At first I thought he was loading his gun... but now I'm thinking he has a scratchy nose :D

I see no need to redo it (although some people might cry foul)... The point of the first units isn't to create art from the start but to learn what to do for the next unit :D

Dease said:
2. to fix it I would have to alter that skeleton of the model which is a huge no-no in OpenFX because then I'd have to start animating from scratch :cry: and 3. I want to do another unit! :D

I feel your pain.. Or felt... Twice :mad:. One time it worked though :p. The errors in the unit seem kinda small, and easy to miss. Great, for a first unit especially... Can't wait to see your next one.

Let me know when you post the changes, i would love to d-load them :D

If the sound file for swordsman isnt long enough you could just add blank space at the end of the file, or copy&paste part of it in to sound like a longer swordsman attack.

Top Bottom