GOTM 35 Pre-Game Discussion

I'm going NW one tile and settling on the river.

My second city will be my Settler Factory once I get my irrigation out that far. I think I see one or two more wheat in the fog next to the wheat...

Is there a forest with a Lux to the SW of the plains? It looks like something white is poking out of the fog....

I think that I agree with you, MOTH. There looks to be more wheat in the fog and spices (?) in the forest. On the other hand maybe my eyes are too tired and I should go to bed :)

I am tempted to head straight towards the food, and put up with the problems of not having my capital by a river.

I think that I will move the settler S then SE, especially if we are industrious as it won't take long to get water to the wheat tile(s) and there are plenty of bgs to get a settler factory going if what I imagine in the fog is actually there.

Then again we may have a scout in which case there are even more choices. When do we find out the civ traits, ainwood? You tease us yet again with this start and my brain can't cope with all the possibilities. :crazyeye:

I've just edited this as I was partly thinking about traits in conquests. It definitely time for me to get some sleep :)

MOTH said:
I'm going NW one tile and settling on the river.

My second city will be my Settler Factory once I get my irrigation out that far. I think I see one or two more wheat in the fog next to the wheat...

Is there a forest with a Lux to the SW of the plains? It looks like something white is poking out of the fog....

Those would be Dyes. And, according to my all-seeing fog-gazing eye, there are no more Wheats.

Cuivienen said:
Those would be Dyes. And, according to my all-seeing fog-gazing eye, there are no more Wheats.

As long as someone has an all-seeing fog-gazing eye, because I have pretty much perfect vision but can never see a damn thing in the fog.

bed_head7 said:
And I was beginning to doubt claims that you were evil.
Evil? Moi?

:evil:

Why? There's wheat, some gold, bonus grassland, a river, and allegedly some dyes!

As for traits: I haven't doctored the image, so we are NOT expansionist. The trait that is probably of most interest is 'industrious', so if you do decide to settler near the wheat, then you should be able to get it irrigated fairly quickly.

I would move worker to the mountain before i move settler to get a better view around.

ainwood said:
Evil? Moi?

:evil:

Why? There's wheat, some gold, bonus grassland, a river, and allegedly some dyes!

As for traits: I haven't doctored the image, so we are NOT expansionist. The trait that is probably of most interest is 'industrious', so if you do decide to settler near the wheat, then you should be able to get it irrigated fairly quickly.

Don't act so innocent! Whichever way I go will be the wrong way. In GOTM33 I went north missing out on two cows in the south, in COTM2 and COTM1 I pretty much stayed put and missed out on far better locations. In COTM3 I missed out on the game and settler factory.

I think that I'll settle on the spot. We can't see a settler factory site for a considerable distance, and London (hoping for the English here!) will probably be churning out Settlers and Workers and not reach size 7 until long after Aqueducts are available anyway. The start location is quite strong with 5 BGs, two Mountains with Gold, a Wheat and a River.

Aren't the English expansionist in PTW? And Ainwood said he didn't mess with the pic.

Yeah definately not english...they are expansionist and non industrious. I'm thinking we could be the ottomans. The colour is largely influencing that though and based on past experience thats not realy much to go on.

If he's not doctored the Civ colour, then we're Ottomans. Mmm, Sipahi....
At which point he reveals it's Deity on a Pangea map and we all die quickly.

Neil. :cool:

5 BGs and a wheat allows a very good 6-turn combo factory between size 4 food 8 and size 6 food 8.
You can churn out 30 shields worth of units and a settler within 6 turns.
But the MM is very tricky then and may need a second city to block the wheat tile in some turns.
Settling in spot or one NE would allow this from what we see.
So I don't see a need for a big hike.
Settling east would lead to faster initial growth, but you are not guaranteed to have 5 BGs. You lose also river tiles.
In spot or NE is it for me. Everything in the fog is for other cities.

Don't forget that irrigation won't run through a hill city (not in 1.29, anyway). Though as we are industrious we can irrigate in 2 turns, right?

He doesn't have to doctor the image to change the civ color. That's an editing option.

Ooh, yeah - I was working on C3C Industrious. So worker->grass/bonus grass(1), irrigate(2), to grass(1), irrigate(2), to grass(1), irrigate(2), to wheat(1), irrigate(2). Wheat irrigated in 12 turns.

Build order will therefore be warrior, worker, because I'd like to get some roads going, and being Industrious, two workers really will make a difference.

Neil. :cool:

My tentative sequence is:
Settle NE, worker N to road and irrigate BG.
Worker brings irrigation and road to wheat via BG, then back via the roads to mine the BGs.
Again plain grass irrigation doesn't help for a long time so irrigating and then mining the BGs is no big loss. But having roads on these tiles saves several worker turns and also gives some commerce.
A second worker early doesn't seem appropriate. We need the population in the capital for shield production to get a granary soon. The one industrious worker can catch up with growth after the initial irrigation action.

Top Bottom