• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

TJ03: Revenge of the Babylon Deity Settlers

TedJackson

Cunning old Celt
Carrying on the tradition of replaying GOTM games here's an opportunity to take a fresh look at one of the all-time greats - GOTM14.

Originally aired in Dec 2002, GOTM 14 defeated all but 11 players and also provided the source material for Bamspeedy's excellent "Babylon Deity Settlers" tutorial.

Aa the game was designed for Vanilla Civ 1.29 I feel it only fitting that we should play in the original format.

The only question is do we play by GOTM rules or are we willing to play honourably (RBCiv's definition)?

Whichever we choose I'm sure there are going to be plenty of spills and thrills to keep the game interesting.

Sign up in the usual manner and state your rules preference. I'm hoping that there will be enough interest to organise a team event so don't be shy. Check out your bows and chariots, assemble in an orderly fashion and prepare to take on the world.

Ted

reserved

reserved

reserved

Im interested. Sign me up for the PTW Division

I'm up for it. I prefer GOTM rules, but I'll go with whatever is agreed if there's a list somewhere. I take it there will only be 1.29 teams this time around, which is fine by me, and very fitting on the

20th Anniversary of the Macintosh

:worship: :bday: [party] :beer: [party] :beer: [party] :bday: :worship:

I'm in for GOTM rules. Get em' before the others know about em'. At least I'm pretty sure that is the one where you have to get rid of Persia/Babs. Can't remember which one. Ruthlessness is nice, on occasion.

Originally posted by barbslinger
I'm in for GOTM rules. Get em' before the others know about em'. At least I'm pretty sure that is the one where you have to get rid of Persia/Babs. Can't remember which one. Ruthlessness is nice, on occasion.
We're the Babylonians. But most people who played it first time around chose to eliminate the Babylonians, so you're right to be confused ;)

WE play as the Babylonians, which is the same as the original game. Although I don't know what the map looks like coz I browse the forum at work with the pictures turned off, I have some idea about what to expect from reading some of the cries of pain from the first couple of pages of the spoiler, and reading Bamspeedys article. So all I will say is that it wasn't the Babylonians that players tangled with, but another civ.

I'd be thrilled to give this a try. GOTM rules, definately...I prefer the RUTHLESS approach!

I'll give this one a try :). If you end up splitting this game into teams based on GOTM or RBCiv rules, I'll go with whatever team needs an extra player.

:) Are you guys full? Hopefully not? Of course I don't compare with the other illustrious names on this list.

Welcome aboard everybody :)

It looks as if we have enough players for 2 teams already :goodjob:

@CivGeneral: this game will be in vanilla Civ 1.29 (just look for the Civilization3.exe in your Civ root folder) as this will allow players with any of Civ, Civ Mac, PTW or C3C to participate. The only version I'm not 100% certain about is Civ3 Gold but I'm pretty sure that will be viable too.

Ted

Have you advertised this game in the main GOTM Forum Ted?
Remember the thread Ainwood de-stickied?
It would be nice to get 3 teams together again.

BTW: How are we going to score this? We won't have a Jason calculator for it.

Is it possible to play it with C3C 1.15? Why not? Just edit the scenario a little bit, remove the thing which might influence the score. It would be very interesting to compare the results. Scoring system has not changed much.

Also, it looks like RBC rules is a must because it is already known how to win with GOTM rules.

That might be very interesting game indeed. Just to compare Civ3, PTW, and C3C?

@mad-bax: Thanks, I'll post a note there tomorrow.

@akots: there are too many differences between Civ 1.29 & C3C to be able to do that quickly enough.

As it stands anybody with a copy of Civ 1.29 (PC & Mac), PTW OR C3C can play using the Civilization3 executable installed by any of the above.

Ted

Originally posted by TedJackson
... there are too many differences between Civ 1.29 & C3C to be able to do that quickly enough. ...

If it is possible to get the scenario file (may be from Aeson?), it would take an hour or so. Don't edit the terrain and other things, just victory settings and other minor points. Even I can do it, probably.

It would be of great interest to compare the progress though.

Edited: People are arguing all over CFC whether the game becomes more difficult in C3C versus PTW. This might be a good test to actually see the difference. Of course, if any of the teams can win... In this case, it would be fun to see who will lose earlier. Sorry for interfering with you routine setup process and distracting.

Top Bottom