‘Wrapping Your Homophobia Around the Bible!’

The most effeminate man I ever met (and he was extremely effeminate) was happily married with two children. And by every account heterosexual.

One soon got used to him, but on first meeting it was very disconcerting. You know, everything he did: the way he moved, and held things, and talked.

I once met a man who had a girlfriend but would sometimes perform in drag. I doubt he was faking heterosexuality because, well, I doubt a closeted gay man would perform in drag but keep insisting he's straight if he's not. It's possible he was bi, I only briefly met him and didn't really quiz him on it. It was really surprising because you would never ever guess he performed as a drag queen, offstage he was very normal.

I understand having odd religious observances and beliefs, but you don't have to be rude about it! Who's going to remember all of these things? I never heard about this one until now.

"I'm sorry sir, my God prevents me from having meat and dairy touch. It's sort of like having two penises touch, it's just not cool with him. Could I interested you in a salami sandwich with cucumber and mustard instead? *smile*"

Believe what you want, just don't be a jerk about it!
Well, the rudeness was more a New York thing than anything else. The restaurant was actually quite famous for their waiters and countermen having attitudes, too. They would have soon gone out of business in most other places.

I also soon learned not to say "merry Christmas", instead of "happy holidays", unless I wanted a lecture on how most Jews don't celebrate that holiday.

I once met a man who had a girlfriend but would sometimes perform in drag. I doubt he was faking heterosexuality because, well, I doubt a closeted gay man would perform in drag but keep insisting he's straight if he's not. It's possible he was bi, I only briefly met him and didn't really quiz him on it. It was really surprising because you would never ever guess he performed as a drag queen, offstage he was very normal.

Yes, transvestism is a whole different world. There can be an overlap with the gay world, but there very often isn't.

Yes, transvestism is a whole different world. There can be an overlap with the gay world, but there very often isn't.

I didn't realize this until very recently. Like, a couple weeks ago. When I read the script for the next show I'm working on. Written by Harvey Fierstein about straight men who enjoy passing as women, set in 1960's upstate New York.

The most effeminate man I ever met (and he was extremely effeminate) was happily married with two children. And by every account heterosexual.

One soon got used to him, but on first meeting it was very disconcerting. You know, everything he did: the way he moved, and held things, and talked.

Not that being effeminate means that you're gay, but there's gotta be a TON of people living in the closet. That guy could just be one of them - a gay man leading a "heterosexual lifestyle".

Well, the rudeness was more a New York thing than anything else. The restaurant was actually quite famous for their waiters and countermen having attitudes, too. They would have soon gone out of business in most other places.

Oh, so it's like one of those places where they swear at you, like that hot dog place in Chicago? If you go into a place expecting rudeness and you get it, that's not so bad. That's ideal!

But if I went to a random place and was treated like that, I'd probably start talking back to the guy and giving him crap. Which probably means I'm not very well suited to living in New York.. or extremely suited, I guess.

Not that being effeminate means that you're gay, but there's gotta be a TON of people living in the closet. That guy could just be one of them - a gay man leading a "heterosexual lifestyle".
He could have been. But he most definitely wasn't. I got to know him quite well.

Oh, so it's like one of those places where they swear at you, like that hot dog place in Chicago? If you go into a place expecting rudeness and you get it, that's not so bad. That's ideal!
No, it's not anything like that. It is distilled New York attitude. You should expect the waiters to be rude and still expect a big tip. That is quite common in NYC.

I didn't realize this until very recently. Like, a couple weeks ago. When I read the script for the next show I'm working on. Written by Harvey Fierstein about straight men who enjoy passing as women, set in 1960's upstate New York.

That's interesting, what is it?

I was really shocked to find out that the issue of same-sex marriage is making progress in Kentucky, my home state. A judge in Louisville allowed same- sex marriages performed outside Kentucky to be recognized in Kentucky and this summer there is a case that will decide if they can be performed in Kentucky. My home town also has an openly gay mayor. The attorney general of Kentucky has announced that he will not try to fight the decision. I'm really amazed, I just never thought this would happen in Kentucky. I remember when I was a teenager in the 90s and people constantly said bad things about gay people and no one ever challenged it. It was just normal. People even said "that's gay" to describe something bad. I remember when Ellen came out of the closet and it was such a big controversy just to have an openly gay person and character on TV and people even boycotted the network. She was on the cover of Time magazine just because she announced she was gay. It's so strange to hear this coming from Kentucky.

Two of Kentucky's top Democrats split sharply Tuesday over same-sex marriage, with Gov. Steve Beshear saying outside lawyers will be hired to appeal a decision granting recognition to gay couples married in other states after the attorney general announced he would not pursue the case.

The high-level intraparty divide — illustrating the rapid spread of the gay-marriage debate into America's conservative heartland — came four days after a federal judge in Louisville gave Kentucky 21 days to implement a ruling that overturned a ban on recognizing same-sex unions. Voters overwhelmingly approved the ban in 2004.

Attorney General Jack Conway choked up with emotion at a news conference announcing he would not appeal the ruling.

"I would be defending discrimination," Conway said. "That I will not do."

Minutes later, Beshear said in a written statement that the potential for "legal chaos is real" if a delay is not granted while the case is appealed. He noted that litigation over gay marriage is pending in many other states and said the issue ultimately should be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Unless the judge's order is stayed by a higher court, Kentucky will have to allow same-sex couples married outside the state to change their names on official identifications and documents and obtain any other benefits of a married couple in Kentucky.

"Employers, health care providers, governmental agencies and others faced with changing rules need a clear and certain roadmap," Beshear said. "Also, people may take action based on this decision only to be placed at a disadvantage should a higher court reverse the decision."

The statement said Beshear would not comment further Tuesday.

U.S. District Judge John G. Heyburn said in an opinion issued Feb. 12 that Kentucky's ban on recognizing same-sex marriages violated the Constitution's equal-protection clause in the 14th Amendment because it treated "gay and lesbian persons differently in a way that demeans them."

The decision arose from a lawsuit filed by two couples who were married in other states or countries over the past 10 years and sought to force Kentucky to recognize their unions. Heyburn's ruling does not require the state to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples; that is the subject of a separate lawsuit in which Heyburn expects to rule by this summer.

Heyburn is among several federal judges who have issued rulings in support of same-sex marriage since the Supreme Court's decision in Windsor v. U.S. in June that struck down part of the federal anti-gay-marriage law. The latest state ruling came last week in Texas.

Two of the rulings — striking down same-sex marriage bans in Utah and Oklahoma — are being appealed to a federal appeals court in Denver.

On Tuesday, a group of Republicans came out in support of legalizing gay marriage in those states, arguing that allowing same-sex unions is consistent with the Western conservative values of freedom and liberty once championed by Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater. The group, which filed a brief with the Denver appeals court, includes former Sen. Alan Simpson of Wyoming and former Sen. Nancy Kassebaum of Kansas.

Seventeen states and Washington, D.C., allow same-sex marriage. Democratic attorneys general in at least seven states — Virginia, Pennsylvania, California, Illinois, Oregon, Nevada and now Kentucky — have declined to defend same-sex-marriage bans that have been challenged in court by gay couples.

Attorney general announcing his decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGESqoEXUA

He could have been. But he most definitely wasn't. I got to know him quite well.

How would you know though?

No, it's not anything like that. It is distilled New York attitude. You should expect the waiters to be rude and still expect a big tip. That is quite common in NYC.

Really? Not to derail the thread, but a rude waiter would get a crappy tip from me.

Sounds like it's time to go to New York to stir up some crap.

How would you know though?
Well, how would I know anything? I agree there are limits on all knowledge.

One does get a good idea about people after a while, though. Even if one can be mistaken, after all.

What makes me think that I'm heterosexual, myself?

Yeah. I'd go with that.

Also my fantasies and dreams feature members of the opposite sex. And I'm aware of no attraction to members of the same sex. Quite the reverse.

But I could be just putting up a smokescreen to myself. How would I know?

Which one? The one about the Congressman? Where did it go?

edit: The Steve King thread. I see it now. Can't access the link to the video though.

No, I meant some other thread that devolved into a discussion of whether our perception of reality really is reality. Or something like that.

Top Bottom