[1.0.0.56(241523) dx12] civ 6 occasionally fails to exit to desktop properly.

andreafin

Prince
i have had an issue 3 times now where upon saving game, then select exit to desktop, the game does not close properly. the mouse pointer moves, but doesnt revert to the standard win 10 one. the menu screen stays as if it was a background.

you can alt tab but while you can select other programs such as steam or any other program you had running, you cannot bring it to front. ctrl alt del brings up the screen where you can start task manager and other options to do with change user etc, but if you select task manager, it just becomes another thing you can alt tab through but wont come to front to kill civ 6 with.

the only way out is to pray you dont have something important in the background happening such as a critical update and shutdown the laptop. the problem has occured 3 times out of maybe 15 or 16 times i have played.

i speculate its maybe not letting go of the gpu or the gpu is still hogging the screen something like that but im just guessing, thats a gut reaction not from any hard knowledge and should be treated more as such.

i have asus ROG gl552vw laptop with 16gb ddr4 2133mhz ram, intel core i5 6300hq 2.3 ghz quad core, gpu is geforce gtx 960m 2gb gddr5.

windows 10 1607 build 14393.693

game i select from steam menu is the DX12 1607+ version. its in full screen mode when i play but i can alt tab normally UNTIL i have clicked exit to desktop> yes>

Last edited:
Yes bug. I think it happens to many.
But you can get your task manager to stay up front by making sure "always on top" is selected under options. At least that way you can exit civ easily.

As a workaround, you can follow these steps if you use Windows 10:
  1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and bring up the Task Manager
  2. Use Alt+Tab to see if it was brought up
  3. If yes, then close it and use Windows + Tab toopen another desktop
  4. Open the Task Manager in the new desktop
  5. End Civ VI process
  6. Close the new desktop

As a workaround, you can follow these steps if you use Windows 10:
  1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and bring up the Task Manager
  2. Use Alt+Tab to see if it was brought up
  3. If yes, then close it and use Windows + Tab toopen another desktop
  4. Open the Task Manager in the new desktop
  5. End Civ VI process
  6. Close the new desktop
thanks i will try that next time it happens. hopefully they can figure out whats causing it soon though.

I also had a similar problem, but I was able with alt-tab to see application bar; from there, right click on the civ icon and "close" could close the program

Sometimes Alt Tab, Ctrl Alt Del, Win D do not work at all... I have to hard shutdown my laptop. Very annoying!

I too have experienced this issue after playing for several hours, rather than short sessions., .
I now always exit to Main Menu, not to Desktop.
From the Main Menu I then exit to desktop.
For a few weeks now this has not let me down.

I save a game then use ALT+CTRL+(ESCAPE or DELETE) to kill process of Civ. With button "end ..." I have three options: game quits (win!!!), game hangs, game quits but colors of desktop and apps are negative or sth.

it does seem to happen more after a long session for some reason.
Well, I note that civ6 in general tend to get worse the longer you use it. Time for AI too play its turn and to load a game increase dramatically the more you keep playing. After a couple hours it is generally faster to restart the pc. probably the slowing down and the crashing are linked.

I have the latest nubian patch and this STILL happens... how many patches/months after release and the game still will not quit properly. My only solution is to ctl-alt-dlt and sign out. THis is ridiculous. You should be able to quit the program.

It happened to me in every patch since the release. Also exiting via the game menu rather than directly from the game doesnt make any difference for me.

I can confirm, this problem still exists, but it seems to occur less frequently since the recent patch.

Top Bottom