Game freezes when exiting to desktop

WillowBrook

Lurker
Several times the game has frozen after I click "exit to desktop". CTRL ALT Del works, but the task manager doesn't show up when I click that option. The work around is to sign out and then sign back in.

Since this only happens when I'm trying to exit the game, it's not a big deal, but it is annoying.

I have Windows 10.

I get this typically after I do full save and then immediately click exit to desktop. I find that if I Return to game first and then reopen menu and exit to desktop it happens less often

I believe this is a common bug. To kill CIV Vi, run commandprompt with admin privileges. Have your curser hover over the command prompt icon on the taskbar, and type taskkill /im CivilizationVI.exe /T /F and it'll successfully close the window.

This happens on Macs also, btw.

Yep, I park my car in the same garage.
Full save then exit to main menu then desktop sometimes works, but best to return to game after saving, then its a 50-50 you'll get back to that lovely screensaver of Aleppo, before and after.

And why oh why is there no Sentry option for units?

To everyone, if you open up your Task Manager and go to "Options", then select "Always on top" you will be able to use the task manager when Civ VI or any other game crashes in this fashion. It's a lifesaver.

And yes, this game lockup on exit occurs in about 1/5 of the VI games I play.

Even with the patch Civ VI still locks when exiting to desktop! Happened on my very first game with the patch.

Still locks when exiting to desktop to me as well. DX12 win 10, 6700k, geforce 1080.. Just to wait until it's "not responding" then close it..

Windows 10. Seems to happen when I click save and then immediately click 'Exit to Desktop'. Almost like it is still saving and hangs.

Happens EVERY.SINGLE.TIME after finishing a game: I return to main menu, then click on "leave the game", then it crashes and I have to restart the computer (or at least log out and log in again).
The patch did not do anything about that. Unbelievable.

Its the same for me, however try exit to menu, then quit from there it worked for me so far.

It only happens since the fall patch

I expect this to be fixed anyway

When this happens I can't even alt-tab out, alt-f4 to kill, or ctrl-alt-del and open task manager. I have to power cycle my box whenever I want to exit.

Top Bottom