1.0.1.141 Civilopedia error: Both parties need Tech X for Diplo option Y

Grifftavian

Emperor
I might have found a Bug: I was replaying the start of TSG5, sent the Jag on a bee-line to El Dorado (since I knew where it was :rolleyes: ) and got the 500 gold bonus for finding it first.

Shortly thereafter, I encounter a Chinese Unit, and in the trade negotiations window, I can sign a Research Agreement with China (which I did), even though I didn't have Philosophy, and I doubt China had it that early in the game!

Unless that is another bonus from finding El Dorado first, I think it must be a Bug in the latest patch (ver. 1.0.1.141).

EDIT: not a bug after all, I was misled by the Civilopedia. Thanks to EndoConvert to clarifying this for me!

I might have found a Bug: I was replaying the start of TSG5, sent the Jag on a bee-line to El Dorado (since I knew where it was :rolleyes: ) and got the 500 gold bonus for finding it first.

Shortly thereafter, I encounter a Chinese Unit, and in the trade negotiations window, I can sign a Research Agreement with China (which I did), even though I didn't have Philosophy, and I doubt China had it that early in the game!

Unless that is another bonus from finding El Dorado first, I think it must be a Bug in the latest patch (ver. 1.0.1.141).

How do you know China didn't have Philosophy? There are any number of ways China might have gotten it early: tech acceleration from difficulty level, beelining, goody huts, etc.

Well, I don't know for sure if they had it or not, but both parties to the RA need to have philosophy, do they not?

No. Only one side needs to have Philosophy to sign an RA, just like only one side needs to have Writing to sign open borders.

No. Only one side needs to have Philosophy to sign an RA, just like only one side needs to have Writing to sign open borders.
The Civilopedia says both parties must have Philosophy for a Research Agreement (see attached screen shot). The English version of the game manual says the same thing on page 114.

The Civilopedia says both parties must have Philosophy for a Research Agreement (see attached screen shot). The English version of the game manual says the same thing on page 114.

The Civilopedia is unreliable and in this case wrong, like it is wrong about many, many things. Only one side needs Philosophy to trade RAs.

Here is my tech tree for this save game (1.0.1.135, with all DLC civs):

Spoiler :

I have neither Writing (for Open Borders) nor Philosophy (for RAs). Yet when I visit Genghis in the diplomacy screen:

Spoiler :

both the Open Borders and Research Agreement options are lit up because Genghis has the necessary techs. By contrast, when I visit Augustus, who has neither Writing nor Philosophy:

Spoiler :

the RA option is dimmed; also, notice that the tooltip says,

Tooltip said:
"Neither player yet has the Technology to trade this item (Philosophy)."

which implies that only one player needs to have the tech.

You will often get offered OB or RA by other civs even when you do not yet have the tech. Not having to spend time researching Philosophy and letting the other civs do it for you to get RAs is a frequently-used strat at higher difficulties.

Attachments

• GenghisOpenBordersRA.jpg
    GenghisOpenBordersRA.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 310
  • AugustusRA.jpg
    AugustusRA.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 310
  • TechTreeWritingPhilosophy.jpg
    TechTreeWritingPhilosophy.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 307
  • Catherine_0066 BC-0360.Civ5Save
    391.8 KB · Views: 185