1 polution causes *20* worker pile-up

skintigh

Chieftain
Yes, 20. I counted. And that's only on ONE square!!! At one point I had a long dirt road that never had less than 40 workers marching back and forth to one polution or another. The fact that none of them made it to the polution before it was cleaned up never discouraged them.

Finally, long after I had nuclear subs, stealth fighters and modern armor, I found the ONE chunk of coal on my planet and was able to make choo choo trains. Now I only have to worry about polutions in a bottle-neck area, then I watch for 15 minutes while the computer takes it's turn and moves all my free workers to it.

I guess 800MHz isn't enough for a large map. How did I ever play civ 2 on my 166?

:nuke:

At one point in my game, I've 65 workers and all in auto mode, takes me about 7 mins for computer to move them all. Bare in mind that my PC is P4-1.7G with 256 Rambus!!!

Anyway, if auto worker mode, all workers tend to clean polu first then build road to resources.

As I understand it, you cannot clean up pollution in less than 2 turns, so there quickly comes a point when adding more workers becomes unneccessary, surely the AI knows this ?

Maybe not ...

My territory expanded over a small stretch of water to a one square chunk island connected to the mainland by a strand.

15 workers decided to march north about 12 squares and around the other side, through enemy lands, to develop this piece.

Deactivating 15 workers to get them back to safety was no fun.

God yes!

I'm glad somebody else commented on this problem. Not the pollution, but the workers wandering to cities across the globe. I was playing in Europe on a world map and had one city up in Scandanavia as well as one on the far west corner of Africa. Every few turns EVERY available worker would decide that those cities needed improvement, and started the ten plus journey through the middle east and Russia in order to get to them. It was driving me crazy. I was considering selling off the cities just to get rid of the damned marching worker problem.

A solution to this is simple, allow you to actcivate/wake all the workers in a stack at once.... because they always ended up stacking and you'd have to go and wake them one at a time. Fortunately I since discovered that you could hold down shift and wake more than one at a time, but a feature to wake them all to stop their stupid journeys would be tremendous.

Also stacked movement I suppose.

Anyway, it's a still a great game, don't let the whiners get anyone down.

If you really want to solve your polution problems You need to do it manually. What I do is set up @6 man worker teams to clean up polution. As soon as polution starts up I send a team to clean it up. If they all work together it is possible to clean the polution up the same turn it appears. That's fast. I zoom out to do this as it's easier to spot polution without having to hunt for it (I control my naval units zoomed out while I'm cleaning pollution also so I can do more faster).

Currently I have one team per island minimum and larger islands have 2-3 depending on how bad polution is in the area.

Just remember you can gang bang pollution with workers to just zap it away.

Endureth

There usually comes a point in my later games where my civ is railroaded, mined, and irrigated to its fullest. I, too, end up making pollution "teams" with my workers. I keep them at the ready, and if something crops up, I just hit Shift-P and they get on the job. I can clear it in one turn without a problem usually. If there is no pollution around, I merely hit the space bar 5 or 6 times quickly. The rest of my workers I have chopping and replanting also in teams so they can chop and replant in a single turn. It can be time consuming, but it can help late game production nicely.

Automating settlers, even with the Shift-A function, seems to make them a bit goofy. I HATE it when they run clear across my civilization to build a railroad when there are roads that can be worked RIGHT UNDER THEIR FEET!!!!

It must be important - they do look like they're RUNNING everywhere that's for sure.

Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - General Discussions > 1 polution causes *20* worker pile-up

Go to first unread post Last Thread Next Thread
Author Thread

Nov 30, 2001 09:02 AM

skintigh
Chieftain

1 polution causes *20* worker pile-up
Yes, 20. I counted. And that's only on ONE square!!! At one point I had a long dirt road that never had less than 40 workers marching back and forth to one polution or another. The fact that none of them made it to the polution before it was cleaned up never discouraged them.

Finally, long after I had nuclear subs, stealth fighters and modern armor, I found the ONE chunk of coal on my planet and was able to make choo choo trains. Now I only have to worry about polutions in a bottle-neck area, then I watch for 15 minutes while the computer takes it's turn and moves all my free workers to it.

I guess 800MHz isn't enough for a large map. How did I ever play civ 2 on my 166?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Nov 30, 2001 09:46 AM

Chuck
Chieftain

how am i playing civ 3 with 5 civs on a large map on my 350mhz? Who knows...

Nov 30, 2001 10:21 AM

Natel
Chieftain

At one point in my game, I've 65 workers and all in auto mode, takes me about 7 mins for computer to move them all. Bare in mind that my PC is P4-1.7G with 256 Rambus!!!

Anyway, if auto worker mode, all workers tend to clean polu first then build road to resources.

Nov 30, 2001 11:55 AM

xane
Chieftain

As I understand it, you cannot clean up pollution in less than 2 turns, so there quickly comes a point when adding more workers becomes unneccessary, surely the AI knows this ?

Maybe not ...

Nov 30, 2001 12:23 PM

magnifico
Chieftain

My territory expanded over a small stretch of water to a one square chunk island connected to the mainland by a strand.

15 workers decided to march north about 12 squares and around the other side, through enemy lands, to develop this piece.

Deactivating 15 workers to get them back to safety was no fun.

Nov 30, 2001 12:27 PM

DoorFrame
Chieftain

God yes!

I'm glad somebody else commented on this problem. Not the pollution, but the workers wandering to cities across the globe. I was playing in Europe on a world map and had one city up in Scandanavia as well as one on the far west corner of Africa. Every few turns EVERY available worker would decide that those cities needed improvement, and started the ten plus journey through the middle east and Russia in order to get to them. It was driving me crazy. I was considering selling off the cities just to get rid of the damned marching worker problem.

A solution to this is simple, allow you to actcivate/wake all the workers in a stack at once.... because they always ended up stacking and you'd have to go and wake them one at a time. Fortunately I since discovered that you could hold down shift and wake more than one at a time, but a feature to wake them all to stop their stupid journeys would be tremendous.

Also stacked movement I suppose.

Anyway, it's a still a great game, don't let the whiners get anyone down.

Nov 30, 2001 12:57 PM

Endureth
Chieftain

Solving polution
If you really want to solve your polution problems You need to do it manually. What I do is set up @6 man worker teams to clean up polution. As soon as polution starts up I send a team to clean it up. If they all work together it is possible to clean the polution up the same turn it appears. That's fast. I zoom out to do this as it's easier to spot polution without having to hunt for it (I control my naval units zoomed out while I'm cleaning pollution also so I can do more faster).

Currently I have one team per island minimum and larger islands have 2-3 depending on how bad polution is in the area.

Just remember you can gang bang pollution with workers to just zap it away.

Endureth

Nov 30, 2001 03:16 PM

Kev
Hired Goon

There usually comes a point in my later games where my civ is railroaded, mined, and irrigated to its fullest. I, too, end up making pollution "teams" with my workers. I keep them at the ready, and if something crops up, I just hit Shift-P and they get on the job. I can clear it in one turn without a problem usually. If there is no pollution around, I merely hit the space bar 5 or 6 times quickly. The rest of my workers I have chopping and replanting also in teams so they can chop and replant in a single turn. It can be time consuming, but it can help late game production nicely.

Automating settlers, even with the Shift-A function, seems to make them a bit goofy. I HATE it when they run clear across my civilization to build a railroad when there are roads that can be worked RIGHT UNDER THEIR FEET!!!!

It must be important - they do look like they're RUNNING everywhere that's for sure.