Attacked by 20 units on Settler difficulty

or a tradition russia game sandwiched between Askia and Poland only having 4 cities and my unit limit and losing units because of the spam

or a Progress celt game where I had 10 units defending equal science and had Himenji castle loosing a city to washington!

a big part of the game is making the correct early decisions.

If you see Askia and Poland around you, you should probably be going Authority yourself to fight off aggression from Askia, and/or rush Poland before they get too strong. Tradition requires you to have lands that are very easy to defend in general, even more so when you have a warmonger neighbor. If you do still go Tradition, make sure you get your horses/iron online, stay ahead on military tech, and build defensive roads. Also don't forget medics.

a big part of the game is making the correct early decisions.

If you see Askia and Poland around you, you should probably be going Authority yourself to fight off aggression from Askia, and/or rush Poland before they get too strong. Tradition requires you to have lands that are very easy to defend in general, even more so when you have a warmonger neighbor. If you do still go Tradition, make sure you get your horses/iron online, stay ahead on military tech, and build defensive roads. Also don't forget medics.

I think this is the wrong perspective for such a low difficulty. This kind of difficulty is meant to be a sit back and relax kind of experience, you don't want to think about tactics or strategy, you just want to kill some things build some cities, and just enjoy. If we are debating citadel placement than we have already gone "too technical".

So if players are finding these difficulties too difficult that's a problem, one I'm not surprised at as we have focused so much time on making the AI harder. Perhaps we should do some polling to see what people think?
As most players seem to play on the higher difficulty levels this is something I've been wondering about. So much of the play testing focuses on making things challenging does this have an unintended knock-on effect on the easier difficulties? I tend to take the 'sit back and relax' approach just going with where the game takes me and it feels a lot less relaxing than it use to. I don't know what the original mission statement was for the mod but I would ask people to remember that not all of us play at Deity level (is that top one?). Make it too hard or even complex then you may not attract new players or lose some round the edges.

Since we have the VP Congress now, I think a good start would be to start a new thread with the intent to rethink and design lower difficulty with precise adjustment, the end goal being to make a proposal for the next congress.

Things to look at :
  • Overall civilizations military size,
  • Military aggressiveness (and how it weight toward diplomacy)
  • Loyalty : capacity to maintain and renew friendship,
  • Congress voting relaxed (more voting for helpful proposals for self/friends, less countering),
  • Less or no diplomatic malus when close to Victory
  • etc...

Last edited:
7 Players, standard size, standard speed, communtias map, with random narrow ridge, low sea, sparse/limited resources no barbarians

im mainly a chieftain player i struggle with combat on a daily basis, Ive turned of the aggression for this reason and maintain friendly relations, have an decent empire/ army etc to prevent wars i often dread getting into a war with an equal size/tech as i cant keep up, On vanillia (massive changes) i could beat diety with harder work,

The AI is very good too good infact ive lost cities at cheiftian with decent defenders with Himenji castle (at diety vanilla was rare thats because i left a city undefended - complacent)

I have to be ahead on techs to make headway I dropped to the settler difficulty you imagine combat should be a walk in the park, im loosing units (navy) to an equal teched navy they just keep coming- eventually broke through but it took a long time, attacking a city then came in the ranged on the coast sank a couple of my frigates (full health or i retreat when hit) A Treb and two crossbowman and a city sank one and damaged the other - retreated healed and went back in to hit the units. I made a tech breakthrough on Ironclads and that just became easier they soaked up a lot of the treb then eventually cannon fire whilst i moved my frigates in and hit the ranged

this went on a few turns until i took the city with an ironclad - had a rifleman on standby to defend the city they kept meleing the city to bring it to low health but didnt leave any units on the coast for my few frigates to attack i then through all the melee units i had nearby over the coast 3 rfilemen and 2x lancer and 1x currasier.

Ended up bieng a few techs ahead took out his units using my melee and got a foothold between his capital and his second city using terrain as defensive position to soak up a counter atttack before moving in my ranged units to attack his landlocked city and then moved up the ironclads and now the newly promoted crusier up to bombard the capital

capital fell easily with the navy bombardment moved up three rifemen around the capital and left 2 lancers plus one riflemen and a scout with medic 2 defending the counter from the landlocked city. took capital after killing ranged units and his melee units T

about 10-20 turns later his landlock city kept pumping out units and his allies city states was defending a last stand from 2x field guns 3x riflemen (lost lancer) 1x lancer and 1x cossack took a while to get ranged units into position i took advice on a previous post to kill all units before moving cannons in

after all units killed city took 5 turns to go down.

My experience: Inca forward settled on the small landmass next to my capital - the sea was about 4 or 5 tiles wide not very big with 2 sea tiles

he claimed that the land was his funny my capital was 5 tiles diagional so i told him he pay for it in time and he dec war. - i thought aggressive for settler so i took his city in ancient/classic and burnt it to the ground had a minor sea battle ( AI was no near ready) few turns he asked for peace

after the treaty there was a few more turns before he did exactly the same he approached me and i goaded him again - war dec my two trebs and pikemen took his forward settled city - burned it again we exchanged a medieval navy battle when we both lost a few units then peace

remained hostile all game until he threatened (i was ready again with a large navy) but didnt war dec

I then got another message if your going to attack... i declined but denounced him told him dont settle to push im into the war.. didnt happen

then a few turns later there was a enough land for him to land a settle but not enough to create a full size city i thought enough im hitting him..

see above but i found settler quite difficult in combat but not impossible as i was techs ahead

My empire build is good i think i could do king difficulty without the combat
Ive had experiences where ive been 20 techs ahead and its just been trivial. a few techs ahead and challenging and equal-ish and getting my a** kicked into next week and loosing cities, theres hindsight taking Authority would be weaker but id have to be at war constantly, and Authority is Powerful when raging barbs is on for the human anyway.

Ive seen the AI lose to raging barbs and have one city all game (tradtion) and Authority do really well and the opposite on no barbs. And to add finally ive experience the AI be a little dr jekyll and mr hyde, really dark and ruthless and then so passive and make huge mistakes - could be working as intended

*edit* - if anyone requests a play test of lower levels id be willing to help as i think youguys have nailed it it just needs tweaks here and there

7 Players, standard size
You can try more defensive "ofensive" play style :) Haha sounds funny :)
Like if you have some infantry in front line, dont attack with it. fortify, and let it sink damage. It will heal every turn, let your units do the damage from range.
Let say, you have warrior and archer against two warriors. If you attack this turn, your warrior will have like 60-70hp, so most likely he will not survive opponent turn.
If they will attack, your warrior will end up turn with like 30hp with possibility to heal, while their warrior will not be able, since they just made move, when your archer can
hit lower hit point warrior, so the next turn, your warrior will heal a little, while they units cant. So, if the attack, they will end up really low health just enough for your archer to snipe it.

That is why, you need healthy unit on the front, that can sink most damage. I treat infantry like a meat shield, so i usually go for Drill1>Cover1>Cover2, and i let opponent crush their teeth on it, while i
work on him with my archers. That is why placing citadels in crucial defensive position is amazing, if you place it correctly sometimes its basically almost impossible to break without indirect fire siege units.

But early game i usually start my first warriors with Shock1. And then depending on terrain, if you have lots of rivers Amphibious is amazing, if you have lots of forests Woodsman is amazing,
if you want generic upgrades go Shock2. For my Horse units i always go for flanking, since infantry will just set in some defensive position and Horses due to mobility will get easy flanking bonus.
Not sure if you know how flanking works. It will apply flanking bonus, per each unit adjacent to opponent, so if you have like flanking 2, which give you 20% more damage from flanking.
If target unit has 2 more units near them, totally 3, you will do 60% increased damage, possibly for all your three units. If this opponent will like to hit you on their turn, he will
also get more damage.
Honestly when im planning attack, for hard opponent, i always plan where are trees, hills, and gaps and rivers. Like if you provoke war and and will stand 1 tile behind the river. Proponent will have to spend
all their points to cross the river, giving you full control on your turn.
Also very often i do offensive roads, meaning literally two lines of roads, which sole purpose is to fast replace wounded units to fresh ones.
I remove them later, when nearest city is conquered.

When you are on opponent territory, he have have defender advantage, meaning, better healing. That is why, i usually early game blindly go medic promotion line on archers, because
instead 5HP per turn you get 10hp, and eventually 15hp. Early game, when you have "controlled environment" with some cornered barbarian, you can let him melee hit once or twice your archer,
you will heal it, but you get 4xp prom defending xD, just small trick that allow you to get 2nd level faster on your archer straight from barracks.

Here is nice example of snipping units using river:

thanks for the above tip(s)
here is a current war between me ( russia) settler difficulty vs aztec the best AI on score

Spoiler Screenie :
screenie.jpg

Aztec took Authority > Fealty>Imperialism>Autoracy has 11 Cties 255 pop statue of zeus and allhambra as its wonders and defender of the faith orders as part of his religion so hes geared for war, has 354k deployable soldiers is behind on by 14 techs
Me as russia Tradition>Fealty>Industry>freedom 6 cities 207 pop Terracota army,Menin Gate,and himenji castle, took crusader spirit

i have less supply and ahead on techs ( have aircraft ) looking at the screenshot this is going to be a slog to clear those units (Aztecs war dec - perhaps i annoyed him by recalling to life carthages city (which florence took ) Utique - im half ready for this war im gonna get my ass kicked when those fusialiers come rolliing in do we think this is reflective of settler difficulty?

Authority > Fealty>Imperialism>Autoracy has 11 Cties 255 pop statue of zeus and allhambra
Classic domination game :)
do we think this is reflective of settler difficulty?
I dont really know, i played king for long time, and it was enought challenge for me. On some point i realised emperor is too trivial for me :)
My last two games on Diety was decent, thou, before my ass was kicked multiple times before i barely learn to walk :)
Thou there are some problems with city states and AI decissions, so maybe i will get back to being kicked, after everything will get fixed xD
Not every game you can win. not enough correct decision, and you eventually lose, also to my knowledge, you really have advantages comparing to higher difficulty,
and there much more margin for error, and AI also makes more dumb decisions, so you should have much more time, to prepare for everything.
Also, many decission are circumstancial, so maybe you are reading the situation wrongly, and therfore making bad decissions?

Just realised, tradition+fealty is basically very good food synergy. Maybe you are making some mistakes?
Honesly my favourite opener is Authority, basically due to early production. With tradition, "spinning up" new citie takes forever, maybe you just think, you are doing
everything correctly, while in reality Tradition, is in fact really slow?

You can do some test runs with England. It starts with spy, which you can place in the capitol of your closest neighbour as soon as you locate his capitol, so that you can kinda spy on his every move.
like his build order, timing of first worker and settler, and compare it to your priorities and timings. May be good learning experience.

While at it, you can test "Goddes of Protection" which increase your healing by+10hp, so not in city you heal 25 instead 15. That really makes a difference.
has 354k deployable soldiers is behind on by 14 techs
14 tech is like 1.5 Era i was in similar situations before in many of my first Diety games, and about turn 400 i was like 100 turns behind AI.. which is basically impossible to fill this gap :)
For me good predictor of performance is the demografic-production, since it says how fast you can "pump" stuff.
Also, comparing this to like Starcraft2.. You can do eko or army.. If you over-do eko, you can be caught with your pants down.
How was your deployable army, and supply?

Btw. just quick tip. If you are fare ahead in tech, and oponent is nowhere near you, you would be better with doing Bombers instead Fighters, with Logistics, you could have 2 attacks, which basically doubles your
attack capabilities, not to mention slightly higher damage. Also Airport would double you city air supply cap, so you could have like 5x to 6x more damage capabilities with this one city alone :)
You would demolish this army with just air :)

Last edited:
here is a current war between me ( russia) settler difficulty vs aztec the best AI on score

Spoiler Screenie :

Aztec took Authority > Fealty>Imperialism>Autoracy has 11 Cties 255 pop statue of zeus and allhambra as its wonders and defender of the faith orders as part of his religion so hes geared for war, has 354k deployable soldiers is behind on by 14 techs
Me as russia Tradition>Fealty>Industry>freedom 6 cities 207 pop Terracota army,Menin Gate,and himenji castle, took crusader spirit

i have less supply and ahead on techs ( have aircraft ) looking at the screenshot this is going to be a slog to clear those units (Aztecs war dec - perhaps i annoyed him by recalling to life carthages city (which florence took ) Utique - im half ready for this war im gonna get my ass kicked when those fusialiers come rolliing in do we think this is reflective of settler difficulty?
Your army is so tiny...

Spoiler Screenie :

build units until you hit your supply cap and you'll stop struggling with wars lol

build units until you hit your supply cap and you'll stop struggling with wars lol
Your army is so tiny...

cant disagree with the Army bieng so tiny... however if your short on funds you cant upgrade em all you end up either cycling through 70+ units over 10-20 turns or you delete them (thus resetting any good XP earned) and who wants to micromanage 70+ units ??? at settler

i think the AI issue of bieng too good at diety is somehow neglected the lower level as it was a hard slog just to get Aztec down to a handful of units over a long turn span

and at settler difficulty the same slog applies i did win that war eventually it took a very long time at least 50 turns to wipe his army down to nothing then moving in to "liberate" other cities and that 2 tier tenant of freedom is powerful where you get 15xp for liberating a city state or civ city

Top Bottom