10 Civs if I could choose

I taek your points, but to me every country is located in some continent, at least every non island country, culture dosent come into it. I know every people can be not descended form where they are living (everyone except Kenyans probably) but to me the Middle East starts at the suez Canal and ends at Irans border with Afghanistan...

So if you consider Egypt entirely African, did you consider the USSR entirely Asian, or entirely European?

I'm a fan of representing many areas, and would love the following ten civs:

1) Mesopotamia
2) Maya
3) Khmer
4) Lithuania
5) Polynesia
6) Israel (ancient Israel I may add, not the unconnected modern state)
7) Native Americans (of the USA :o)
8) Axum
9) Srivijaya/Malays
10) Mapuche/Araucanians

I'd also love the Hittites and Australians (Aboriginals, rather than English), or if there were more places, separate existence for the Sioux, Iroquois and Anasazi, and for the Assyrians, Sumerians and Babylonians. But these are only my dreams.

If your into Represented unrepresented areas why don't you chose one for eastern europe?

Lithuania, LastOne. My reasons are historical and emotional. Few people know that pagan Lithuania, while being surrounded by Christian states, rose to become the largest state in contemporary Europe swallowing up much of what was then thought of as Russia against the will of the Mongols! Impressive indeed (and cool I'm sure if most civfanatics knew about it they'd demand pagan Lithuania), culminating in the annihilation of the German Order under the leadership of Jogaila, who was the first publicly Christian ruler (ignoring Mindaugas) and one of the greatest rulers of Poland as I'm sure you know.

Don't take that as a slight on Poland; I'd not be opposed to Poland-Lithuania (so long as the city list was in English ;)), but would prefer Lithuania on its own or Hungary. This may be no more than my prejudices as a medieval historian ... Poland's golden age lies largely after my period of interest. But hey, I'd take the Duchy of Sandomierz, anything, other than the HRE!!!!!!!!

Anyways, strictly speaking, Eastern Europe is already decently represented compared with other similarly sized areas of the world. The problem is that Western Europe is way over-represented! Anyways, as I've pointed out, the Germans, Romans, Ottomans, Byzantines, Greeks and Russians already represent eastern Europe in that they controlled large parts of it, though of course in origin only the Russians and Greeks lie in the eastern half of Europe (actually though, most recent research argues that the Greeks came from Anatolia, not Europe!). I know few Poles will take this point seriously, as they're trying to establish equality with the overrepresented West (but remember, the game makers are Westerners inherently and unapologetically biased towards Western Europe, hence mediocre civs such as the Dutch) it should be pointed out that guys such as Diocletian and Constantine were eastern Europeans, and the most of the inhabitants of the pre-Slavonic invasions European Byzantine Empire were speakers of the vulgar Latin dialects (also not widely know) from which Romanian and the other Vlach languages descend; i.e., Romans and Byzantines became eastern Europeans. Since the Ukraine and Belarus are essentially Russian in civilizational, religious and linguistic terms, only the stretch of countries from Poland and the Baltic down through Hungary to the Danube frontier (or to Bulgaria and the Greek border if you don't count the Romans, Byzantines and Ottomans), are unrepresented; and geographically speaking that is only about a quarter of the land of Europe east of Germany-Austria-Italy! Hey, have some sympathy for the Scots, Irish and Welsh, the only contemporary historical peoples in Western Europe totally unrepresented in the game (although even they could be covered by the Celts! Yes, Western Europe is totally over-represented!).

I don't mind at all if it's Lithuania Ukraine or Poland. I personally would like slavic representation other then Russia but, so i'd go with Poland. Besides Ukraine screw's up russia's uu.

The concept of continents is about as self-evident as the concept of race. It's all superficial in other words. People are seperated by cultural differences, not what continent they live on.

I agree with Mango. America and Australia might be on separate continents but there European no matter what you say.

Top Bottom