Age of Discovery Mod - Discussion

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
Can someone see if my Age of Discovery scenario is Mac compatible? If it isn't let me know and I do the fixes required.

Link in my sig. :)

Dale

@Dale: I got your AoD working on my Mac, as follows:

- Downloaded and expanded the zip.
- Moved the Age Of Discovery folder from Mods into my ~/Documents/MODS folder
- Moved the AgeOfDiscovery.Civ4WorldBuilderSave from Public Maps into ~/Documents/Civilization IV/Saves/WorldBuilder/ (didn't show up as a Scenario option if I put it in ~/Documents/Civilization IV/Public Maps)
- Launched Civ4 and selected Advanced/Load a Mod
- Selected Age of Discovery
- Selected Single Player
- Selected Load a Scenario
- Selected AgeOfDiscovery.Civ4WorldBuilderSave
- Selected a Civ, difficulty etc.
- The game loaded and I was in 1492 AD as Elizabeth of England with a partially explored map. I didn't play a lot, as I still have no idea how to work this game. I did sail across the Atlantic to discover the Spanish are already in South America ;)

Some questions:

1. When the "What would you like to research next?" came up in the first inter-turn the Sid's tips part of the tool tips for the research options show "TXT_KEY_TECH_xxxx_STRATEGY" instead of the expected text. However, I couldn't see any text in the mod files after a quick search, so this may be as intended? The 'pedia also has tags but no text about the techs, and "Requires" and "Leads to" fields only have icons, no text. The version history indicates "Texts: Completed" so I thought I'd better check if this is as designed?

2. The icons for most techs were a generic-looking icon. Intended?

Apart from that, it seems to work :goodjob:

(PS typo in Syhpillis - probably meant to be Syphilis?)

re: AoD

I tried it today for a few decades, and it amazingly appears to work. I noticed the same things as AlanH, with the exception being that I had no problem loading the game when putting the .Civ4WorldBuilderSave file into the PublicMaps folder.

Should all the Pikeman units (one in every city, correct?) be ready for a command on the first turn instead of automatically being fortified in their cities? I also wonder if it should be asking me what to build in my cities the first turn automatically?
(sorry if those are silly questions - I'm new to civ4 mods!)

-ow

Re: AoD

The texts in the pedia are my crappy attempt at a shortcut. ;) I absolutely hate doing those texts so I took shortcuts. If you look at Civ4TechInfos.xml you'll see I've embeded the text within the tags. This just means in some spots those raw tags are showing through. Sorry. Doesn't impact the game at all.

All the pikes should be ready for orders. You can't specify units to be fortified in a scenario file. :) Build orders are empty so you can make your own choice as to what to build.

Dale

Do I have the right version of the Civ4TechInfos.xml file? There's no text, only tags in the file I have.

I have tried 2 games of the AoD mod, and I am sorry to report that both times Civ4 crashed as soon as I discovered Baptism.

Top Bottom