2010 CFC Fantasy MLB Thread

El Justo

Deity
Spring Training is only days away :)

please sign up for our annual CFC Fantasy Baseball League!

not sure how many teams we will go with this year. the more the merrier, i say.

head-to-head rotisserie is the scoring format btw, same as years past.

I was wondering when this would go up!

Defending 08' and 09' Champion signing up!

And if it's alright with you El J, I have a whole bunch of radical ideas to make the season a bit more interesting. If you're okay with the idea of basically tearing up a good chunk of our current format, let me know and I'll post my thoughts.

nice :) sure thing on the ideas. post away. one thing i think we should be firm on is the weekly lineup submissions. daily lineups are too tough for us, i think.

also, no freebie from cbs this year. so we'll have to go back to yahoo.

Yea, daily I understand is way too intense for some people. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but we've been down this road before. And CBS was terrible except for the player pool which was vastly superior to yahoo's.

My biggest complaint that I've had about the league is the number of inactive teams. The first month is usually okay, but after that participation drops off considerably. Because of that, chances for trading drop as players are essentially taken of the block for trading not because the owner doesn't want to move them but because the owner hasn't logged on.

Over half of the teams that made the playoffs last year were teams who's owners probably didn't even know they were in the playoffs. To me, that's not quite fair to guys who actually logged on and made moves to try and improve their team. Seeing lineups with guys who have been on the DL for 4 months is pretty lame. What's the point of the league if the people playing it don't make the playoffs?

So I propose to limit the number of teams allowed in the league. My vote would ten, but twelve would be alright assuming we didn't have to scrounge for them. This lowers the chance of those filler teams from disappearing midway through the season.

The problem with doing just that is the player pool no longer becomes as thin, as 100 or so more players get added to the Free Agent pool. Personally, I like a thinner free agent class as it rewards guys who do a little research and can come up with those gems. If there's quality talent everywhere, what's the point in trying to dig deep?

So I think expanding the active rosters would be necessary. Before in our old system, we had 25 players for 16 teams, which came out to 400 rostered players. If we subtract four teams, rosters would have to expand to 34 players to keep the free agent pool identical. That seems like a lot, but I think it'll help reward the active teams. More guys playing = more holes in the lineup. It's pretty easy to get 9 good hitters. Having 14 good hitters? Not so much.

At any given point, we had 17 active players: 9 position players and 8 pitchers. Since we're now talking 34 players on the roster versus 26. If we keep the bench size the same (and I think we should to keep talent in the lineup as opposed to out of it), the 8 players could be arranged as follows:

1 C, 1 CI, 1 MI, 2 OF, 3 P

It doesn't have to be that way, I'm just suggesting it to get some conversation started. With four less teams, catching wouldn't be as thin so carrying and extra active catcher would be feasible. You could also exchange that for another utility spot if you so desired to give a little extra value to your DH types. Or exchange the catcher for another pitcher to keep the split between number of pitchers and hitters close to even.

I think as far as the stats we use, dumping the useless and totally inaccurate fielding percentage stat should happen. Most of us know it's not a true gauge of how good a player is defensively. Look at Jeff Mathis and Mike Napoli. Last year, Mathis' F% was .988 while Napoli's was .986, yet Mathis is wildly regarded as the far superior defensive backstop. Plus career-wise Napoli has a slightly better F% than Mathis does. Huh? To clarify, F% doesn't factor in throwing arm strength or range which is just as important as catching the ball and throwing it accurately.

Instead of it, I'd probably use Total Bases. Sure, the stat is already reflected in most of the oher hitting stats, but look at the lead leaders for last year and there's some interesting things. Let me put it this way: who had more TB last year, Billy Butler or Chase Utley? Butler did, with 299 vs 290 for Utley. The reason for this is Butler had 51 doubles last year to Utley's 28, plus having a slightly better BA didn't hurt either. It's a good stat for a class of players that do a little bit of everything. Another example, this time from my own fantasy team: Shin Soo Choo had more TB than Carl Crawford last year.

Since last year CBS didn't allow us to use K/BB ratio, that should be put back in as well. If I recall we added BS to the list but I think we should keep it in for reasons outlined below. With that stat being added in and TB replacing F%, another hitting stat would be needed to balance pitching with hitting. I'm not sure here what would work best. OBP is the only major stat missing and I think it'd work but I'm open to other suggestions.

Finally, I'd probably remove the SP and RP restrictions. To me it locks every team into the same strategy. Especially with regards to having three RP and having both holds and saves as a category. My line of thought is you can only compete in one - winning both week in and week out is next to impossible. So make every pitching slot just a regular one. If guys want to gut IP and QS and just go for SV and Holds with stellar peripherals they should have that option. Conversely, if players don't want to play for saves and would rather construct a starting rotation that rivals the Orioles from the 1970's they should have that open too. Forcing players to have RP or SP maybe realistic, but this is fantasy ( :p ). If an owner wants all SP or all RP or maybe stream a handful of pitchers with a solid relief core they should be able to do it. Which is why I'd leave Blown Saves in - teams that choose the all or mostly RP route should have some sort pitfall and the BS stat would do it.

Yea, that's a lot, but given the current arrangement I think there's room for us to improve. So post some feedback, let's get some discussion going and let's get some sign-ups!

i agree w/ just about everything S :) especially the total no. of teams.

once i can fire up the league site, i can play around w/ the categories. iirc, it's next week when yahoo launches their commish stuff. in the meantime, sign up!

I'm in.

Total bases ? Well, I guess so. Does feel that it's more or less duplication (already having slugging in there), but if that changes the balance more towards power hitters rather than slappy-dashers, I don't think I'll worry too much.

For new stats, what about Caught Stealing? I realise this might make people stray away from speedsters, but a CS hurts the team roughly twice as much as a SB benefits it, and it feels like we're ignoring a fairly significant factor otherwise. I accept there's the danger of it ending a bit like a BS category, whereby it rewards inactivity and demeans another category - but then again, I quite like the idea of effectively devaluing SB and Holds.

Not sure about making the pitching a free-for-all. We'll end up with squads with no real relief corps, potentially, and that seems to big a jump away from reality for me.

Rest of the ideas seem OK, though I'm not sure that reducing the number of squads will indeed give us fewer drop-outs. We just need to ensure people are committed, and avoid having a format which means that we've got to press-gang anyone in at the last moment.

One thing I would have liked is the ability to swap a bench player in for an injured player during the week, without at the same time allowing daily roster adjustments. Dunno if there's any format / league set-up which allows that ?

Problem with caught stealing is it penalizes guys who's specialty is Stolen Bases. Winning SB and losing the CS category because you won SB negates the whole point of drafting SB in the first place. Guys who steal more are going have more chances to be caught. It kind of defeats the whole point of drafting speed in the first place.

I don't think you'll see teams without RP. There's not enough quality SP around to make not drafting RP viable, especially if the the rosters are expanded as I proposed. Plus you'd be punting Saves and Holds, not to mention peripherals which is a lot to give up for an all SP team. I think the more likely scenario is teams without SP, but to me the number of stats punted negates any advantage it may have to some players. But feel free to construct your team that way; it does work. :)

I would love to see a format where guys who go on the DL can be swapped out at anytime for a bench player, but I can't imagine there's a format that allows that. Something to certainly look into though.

Problem with caught stealing is it penalizes guys who's specialty is Stolen Bases. Winning SB and losing the CS category because you won SB negates the whole point of drafting SB in the first place. Guys who steal more are going have more chances to be caught. It kind of defeats the whole point of drafting speed in the first place.

Yep, agree. But if your lineup gets four steals and four caught steals in a week, and we're trying to value them on how much of a difference they have made to their team, then steals tells less than half the story.

It's kinda like saying let's not count whiffs because it devalues power hitters. (Kinda)

And, actually, I think having Ks for offense is done just because it's an easy and obvious stat, not because it actually means very much. I'm greatly in favour of the stats which tell you why a player makes a difference, not just counting something because we can.

K's counting more against your power hitters rather than your light-hitting speedster is fairly accurate. However, power manifests itself in a number of categories - HR, SLG, RBI's, TB, and to a lesser extent, Runs. SB is just that - SB.

Sure. But a K is an out. A ground out to 2nd is an out. What makes the second better than the first ? Clearly, a long fly out can be better than a K, but ground outs can mean Double Plays. If we want to talk about a stat which really indicates when a player has hurt his team, then let's talk about GIDP, not the fairly innocuous K.

Same reason as why a K is over-rated as a measure of pitching - was Nolan Ryan a great pitcher ? If he was, then I'd suggest it's because of longevity, 300 wins and 7 no-hitters, not because of the K total.

("Whiffing - the misunderstood and oft-maligned K" - soon to be on a bookshop nowhere near you!)

I never said the second type of out was better than the first (ground out versus K). My point is power translates to a lot of stats whereas SB does not. To drop the value of power hitters compared to stolen base threats, you would have to keep K's in and CS out. Otherwise, there's no penalty to drafting Ryan Howard, Mark Reynolds, Chris Davis, et all. As for DP, one it's a team stat that requires someone to be on base before the batter to even have a chance of a DP, and two, everyone hits into DP's, with those who have a lower fly-ball rate more likely to hit into such plays. Typically your power guys have a higher fly-ball rate, so adding DP in place of K's (not that you were suggesting it, but this is more for sake of argument), lessens the value of speedsters more in relation to the power hitters. Power hitters and all of the stats they provide has to be balanced out somehow.

No, I know you didn't say that a ground out is better than a K. But effectively, that's the consequence of including Ks as a stat for batters, but not other outs. If you're watching a game (presuming you have no preference between the two teams playing) and one of your fantasy squad comes up, then grounding into a double play is better for the player's fantasy stats, and thus for you, than a strikeout.

I accept what you say in terms of balance in a fantasy game - we don't want power hitting to drown out all other offensive aspects. But in reality, a .275 hitter with 40 HRs is just than much more of a threat for his team than a .320 hitter with 40 SBs. And the fact that the power hitter whiffs more isn't much of a downside, though if either of them had significantly more/fewer GIDPs then it might give you food for thought. In fantasy though, they play out as pretty much equal.

Juts out of interest though, do you really feel there needs to be a penalty for drafting Ryan Howard ? (It's not just cos he's a Philly, is it? :mischief:)

To your first point: Absolutely. I've found myself cheering for flyouts or DP's during many baseball games! "Yay, it wasn't a strikeout!" Unless of course he's batting against one of my pitchers. Then I'm okay with it. As for a penalty for drafting Ryan Howard... Well, only if El J. drafts him :lol:. I think K's work fine. He strikes out enough as it is. Just for giggles I looked up GIDP. In Howard's case, GIDP wouldn't actually penalize him - he didn't make the top 100 players who GIDP last season.

i wouldn't shed any tears if we got rid of the CS categorie and also the K for the hitters. i think today is the launch day for the commish software. so i'll take a look and put up all the options we've been discussing :)

@classical hero
welcome :D not sure what you mean by the official site ? cfc? mlb?

El - J - just to verify - Lambert was making a case for adding the CS stat while I was arguing to not implement it for reasons above. I also strongly suggest leaving batting K's in as well. But yea, post what we can and can't do, especially with regards to swapping out players who on on the DL in the middle of the week with one of our bench guys.

Not sure if we can get rid of the CS category when we've never had it before.

But BL has it right - I don't like Ks for batters, and prefer having CS and GIDP. But I accept that there is a case for having a balance between different styles of players - but you need to accept on your conscience that this will end up with Chone Figgins being a much more desirable player than he really is...

I would like to be in and realize I skipped out on 90% of last year, but that was because I hated CBS' program. It was not user friendly and seemed stupidly difficult to do simple things.

If we're back to Yahoo I'd like to be in and promise I will stick around.

I'm open to whatever scoring categories you guys want, but I have one suggestion: what about keeping it simple this year? Like 6x6 or something less than 10x10 or a zillion different categories. It makes it a little less of a crapshoot when you have less categories. Also with so many categories researching my picks becomes more of a chore and less of a fun thing to kill some time with.

Just a suggestion.

thanks dg and illram :) good to see you guys.

still nothing on the yahoo fantasy baseball launch date. i sort of preferred the yahoo as well although cbs was ok once it got rolling. i've used cbs for my fantasy football for almost 10 yrs. so i was familiar w/ it. but yahoo was just more simple and the simpler the better, i think. the one real horsehockey thing w/ cbs was the draft room. i got screwed on a couple of picks last year...

so to reiterate, once i get the yahoo site launched, we can take a look at the stats. note that yahoo is less customizable than the cbs site. so we may be forced to cut back on stat categories.

Top Bottom