2013 MLB Season

And why did he even have Shelby Miller and Edward Mujica on all the playoff rosters if he was never going to use them?

Rumor is that Miller was 'shutdown' after the Pittsburg series. Apparently they wanted to try to keep him in good shape for next year. Remember that this is a Cardinals team that for the most part has not reached it's full potential. Very few of the Cardinal players on the roster had over 5 years of major league experience. With the return of Motte, Garcia, Gast, and Lyons next season, a ton of money coming off the books, and plenty of new exciting youngsters expected to come up.... Mozeliak is most likely looking towards the future.

A lot of rumors right now about trading off Lynn and Freese for a decent shortstop. Move Carpenter to 3B and give Wong 2B; then run with a rotation of Wainwright, Wacha, Miller, Kelly, Garcia.

I understand the logic behind shutting down Miller, what I don't understand is that if Miller was shut down, why waste a roster space by including him on it and not, oh, literally anyone else who might actually play?

I understand the logic behind shutting down Miller, what I don't understand is that if Miller was shut down, why waste a roster space by including him on it and not, oh, literally anyone else who might actually play?

Agreed, both on Miller and Mujica (who was clearly never going to be able to be relied on in the post-season). Particularly in Fenway, the Cards were a bat or two light, and while that wasn't what decided the series, it was certainly not playing the percentages.

Top Bottom