2015 MLB season.

Pretty sure he means there's no clear frontrunners in the other divisions.

Dodgers. Just Dodgers. 40-something WAR. 12 more than the next best team in the NL West. The Nats have been seriously underperforming their WAR. I would expect them to come around over the next month or so and the Mets to not necessarily fall off a cliff, but certainly move down quite a bit from their unbelievably hot start. I'm also expecting the Indians to move up. Statistically they've actually been the best team in the AL Central. It will be interesting to see the Cardinals-Cubs-Pirates race in the Central. That's one I'm looking forward to.

EDIT: Ah. I see what you mean. Still. The Royals are overperforming. Their team WAR numbers aren't really all that impressive. Same goes for the Stros. The Indians have been looking pretty good so far, likewise the Angels. Nats, Angels, Mariners and Sox are all underperforming given their WAR.

Cleveland would worry me as a fan because I don't think their FIP based WAR will capture the limitations of their defense well enough. I thought they were, along with the Tigers, the best two in the central to start, but man, I don't know. And they have a big hole now to climb out of. I think the Royals are onto something that won't be captured well by projections with a low k/high in-the-zone contact lineup, especially with the strike zone shrinking to up scoring again. Their team BABIP is ridiculous but they have a fantastic run and base runs differential so far. It's hard to know when to jump on that bus given that they didn't look to be this good based on all the projections at the beginning of the season. But the playoff odds are not so friendly to Cleveland with their gap to cover.

And yeah, the Dodgers are really good and probably the best "lock" pick for a division right now. I still think that Nats will be fine.

Dodgers. Just Dodgers. 40-something WAR. 12 more than the next best team in the NL West. The Nats have been seriously underperforming their WAR. I would expect them to come around over the next month or so and the Mets to not necessarily fall off a cliff, but certainly move down quite a bit from their unbelievably hot start. I'm also expecting the Indians to move up. Statistically they've actually been the best team in the AL Central. It will be interesting to see the Cardinals-Cubs-Pirates race in the Central. That's one I'm looking forward to.

I thought he was referring exclusively to the AL

Nats, Angels, Mariners and Sox are all underperforming given their WAR.

Not to mention that the Red Sox, Angels, and Mariners are all in the bottom four in offensive BABIP (which WAR doesn't really care about), and there's bound to be some improvement there. Matt Joyce isn't going to hit .150 all year.

Buchholz is not a 3.00 FIP or ERA pitcher going forward so he's throwing the Red Sox's pitching staff WAR numbers off a bit. Their offense is likely underperforming even with the fairly great stats so far but that rotation is a dumpster fire.

Buchholz needs to go, but who in the market can we get at the moment? I don't want Cole Hamels at all, never have either. I personally want us to get an ace who can lead the rotation, but there's no way the Red Sox will splash the money needed before the season ends.

Buchholz needs to go, but who in the market can we get at the moment? I don't want Cole Hamels at all, never have either. I personally want us to get an ace who can lead the rotation, but there's no way the Red Sox will splash the money needed before the season ends.

Why not? The question is, who can they get?

J

I see Buchholz's issues as mental so he just scares me every 5th day. I think Miley and Porcello can turn it around and put in a semi-consistent 6 or 7 innings...which is still only 4-5 material. Joe Kelly is I think a goner if he can't work out his issues. Masterson...no idea. Not to mention the strain this is putting on a bullpen that is not deep enough to cover this problem.

We need three things to happen at least: 1. a minor league starter needs to step up; there are 2 maybe 3 who could do so but not til post-all star break...this could also work if someone, e.g. Barnes, steps into a commanding bullpen role; and 2. obviously at least 3 of the current 5 need to stop sucking; and 3. we need to trade for a top of the rotation guy. Bradley, if he can turn it around and produce some offensive numbers, would become a very valuable chip since he might be the best defensive CF in baseball. Obviously Betts isn't going anywhere. Swihart I think is also too valuable and honestly is probably up too soon. Cecchini, Bradley, and a handful of others I can't think of are still very good prospects who in a package deal with some money should land someone who can lead your rotation. Fortunately every other rotation in the AL east also has question marks so this could be turned around.

No way in hell we should trade Jackie Bradley Jr. in my opinion, I think he's got too much potential to let go yet. I think Masterson can turn it around and find his old stride, but not sure how long it will take. I agree completely on all 3 points, though.

He has plenty of potential. He's also not as good as Betts or Castillo, so the Red Sox don't really have a way to give him playing time.

Historically plus defensive prospects get more sustained AB's, i.e. chances to prove themselves, but that goes both ways. If you don't move Bradley and he remains a so so offensive player then you're stuck with him forever. If he has a month or two of good hitting that will really push his value to a peak level at which point I think, considering the incredibly crowded OF, he's a great piece to trade if another GM takes a shine to his potential.

No way in hell we should trade Jackie Bradley Jr. in my opinion, I think he's got too much potential to let go yet. I think Masterson can turn it around and find his old stride, but not sure how long it will take. I agree completely on all 3 points, though.

No, he can't. If the #cardinalsdevilmagic couldn't do anything, chances are, to the bin with him.

Speaking of which, how's the league down there, Redbirds have perched to the top and everyone else is looking up, yo :king:

I'll be flying to St. Louis tomorrow for work. Hopefully I'll have time to see one of the Cardinals games against the Dodgers or the Brewers. :)

The Twins are in first and the Red Sox in last... what is this season I don't even

Top Bottom