2019 MLB Season Thread

rah

Deity
Supporter
Spring is here and it almost time for MLB to officially start.

Since the season hasn't quite started yet, I'll bring up the rules changes that are being determined for the 2020 season. While there are a few I thought I'd comment on 2. The first being the 3 batter minimum rule where a if you bring in a pitcher during the inning he must either finish the inning or face 3 batters. The is reduce the specialty reliever brought in for a single batter. While it sounds big, I think I saw a stat where it will only impact 4.7 % of relieve opportunities. The obvious intent is to speed up games. Avoid the extra pitching change and the commercial. It may have a real slight impact on the increasing strike outs.

I think this is a good change except for the rare instance where the pitcher you bring in just doesn't have it. He could walk the first two batters and you'd still be stuck with him. (even though I assume that they could magically pull a muscle or something.

The other change which I fully endorse is the minimum a pitcher can be put on the injured list from 10 to 15 days. To many people were starting to game this rule so we'll see if this can fix that.

There's also some changes to the trading deadlines, which i'll leave for others to discuss.

So I'll leave with a simple. GO CUBS.

yeah, the 3 batter rule will result in more pitcher's 'injuries'

not a bad idea though, but I dont mind longer games. Gives me time to run off and do something else for a few minutes. Maybe not so convenient for the people sitting on stadium seats.

If you want to speed up the game, there are many other ways.
Reduce the number of practice pitches when a reliever comes in. Give him a couple to get used to the mound. It's not like the one in the bullpen is "that" much different.
How about umpires not granting the time out after every pitch for the batter to readjust his gloves, even if he didn't swing.
The shorter length between innings is good. Using a split screen coming out like they do in Golf would help recoup ad revenue.

Well Trout sure took the suspense out of Free Agency next year.

OPENING DAY YAHOO (no Japan games didn't count)

I guess this place doesn't dig baseball. It's not just for old farts.

All star break.

What was looking to be a possibly exciting three team race in the NL Central is a 5 team race to mediocracy.

Top Bottom