Sullla's AI Survivor Season Seven - Championship Game Thread

Oh..well that is interesting. Did not expect him to dow anyone.

Great Job Mania, PlainsCow, Keier and Kait!

Kudos to...

Louis, for successful campaigns against Persia, Egypt, and England, an enlightened state of free religion and marble edifices, and the brilliant splendor of cultural immediacy brought to the fledgling peoples of this world 🥇

Saladin, for shepherding the Islamic faith into dominance, conquering Egypt, and discovering not merely liberalism but also the mysteries of fission 🥈

Mehmed, for uncertain loyalties to the religious blocs but unquestioned ruthlessness and opportunism as the scourge of this world 🥉

RIP...

Darius, who despite early successes in a border war against the Ottomans ultimately fell victim to his own suspect diplomacy ⚱️

Ramesses, who ruled over the cradle of the world's faiths only to be partitioned in the most brutal of manners ⚱️

Churchill, who displayed wishwashy religious affiliation and paid the price ⚱️

Churchill started a war he could not win. Than Sal bosses it. I just felt Creative gave French a big advantage. Early border pops which enabled earlier resources mixed with expansion and wonder grabs. Then Mehmed and Persians pretty much kill their games. Think Churchill was lucky to reach final. Finishing 2nd a lot does not make a winner.

Thanks to Sullla for running a months-long event. :goodjob:

If anyone wants to donate any real life money, pressing the 'back' button twice at the bottom of the civ 4 survivor page leads to the main page and a yellow 'Paypal' button in the middle.

Pretty amazing season where the pool leaders got decimated like 10 times :lol:

The final game could use a tiny bit more spice I think, but I am lazy and idealess.
Mirror map makes it as fair as possible to the eventual AI champ :hmm:

**Edit**
Cough, I want to be clear I don't consider the tip jar thing to be commercial advertising which would be a permanent forum ban for me.

$5 would probably be spent on league of legends skins or a delicious cheeseburger.

Please delete this post if there is any rules trouble. :please:

Last edited:
Thanks to Sullla for running a months-long event. :goodjob:

If anyone wants to donate any real life money, pressing the 'back' button twice at the bottom of the civ 4 survivor page leads to the main page and a yellow 'Paypal' button in the middle.

Pretty amazing season where the pool leaders got decimated like 10 times :lol:

The final game could use a tiny bit more spice I think, but I am lazy and idealess.
Mirror map makes it as fair as possible to the eventual AI champ :hmm:
You know what needs to be added.

It's really Rook! We just share a close name and represent the pasture together!

Yep, even Sullla thinks it's you. He always reads Plain Cow but says Plains Cow. ;)

Sullla: "Plains Cow, probably too far behind, but pretty impressive, considering that was kind of a meme account there."

Meme account eh? I would love to see the look on Sullla's face if a Plain(s) Cow variant somehow managed to win a season, as I'm sure he thinks I've just been making troll picks the previous 3 seasons. :D

Then again, if it weren't for Plains-Cow's energetic promotion of the pasture, I doubt my pseudonym would have attracted the attention it has. :)

Anyway, many thanks to Sullla for another season of AI Survivor, hopefully there will be an 8th season next year!

Yep, even Sullla thinks it's you. He always reads Plain Cow but says Plains Cow. ;)

Sullla: "Plains Cow, probably too far behind, but pretty impressive, considering that was kind of a meme account there."

Meme account eh? I would love to see the look on Sullla's face if a Plain(s) Cow variant somehow managed to win a season, as I'm sure he thinks I've just been making troll picks the previous 3 seasons. :D

Then again, if it weren't for Plains-Cow's energetic promotion of the pasture, I doubt my pseudonym would have attracted the attention it has. :)

Anyway, many thanks to Sullla for another season of AI Survivor, hopefully there will be an 8th season next year!
I made sure to correct him in the past, hence why he's looked up both of our names on the spreadsheet so he wouldn't delete it thinking it was a duplicate of me. It was during the Kublai game. I also shouted you out in the chat during the championship game.

I've also seen people in the chat with names like "moofan" and other cow-related names celebrating plains-cow tile start successes. Even non-cow names do it, I've noticed. I'd say the pasture is organically growing! But really, who could resist the best resource-tile combo in the game?

The final map could use more space..and there are no islands on any maps :)
Some traits are naturally boosted in this setup and it's no surprise that we see so many culture wins lately.
Maybe Lou has the best AI traits if there's room for ~8 cities each (build wonders & connect everything fast), and even if Sal would be FIN he'd still be behind with an attempted space win.

I found Game 5 immensely fascinating. While Roosevelt sabotaged his start in the tournament, I found his AI to be surprising and competent, even. Churchill, who I generally find annoying, also grew on me in Game 5. Both of them have tricky personas that border on disloyalty. While Roosevelt has a high peace weight, he also declares war at Pleased, as notoriously observed this season. Churchill has a neutral peace weight that I think helps him turtle until rifles. I am confident both can win convincingly with decent starts. For Churchill, he needs the more competitive AI to be thwarted to win Space, but with deflective diplomacy he can win Domination with a Redcoat push.

I agree that the map could benefit from more space. It really struck me this finale after discussion in this thread that it would be in the interest of entertainment to retire this map in favor of another abstract one or perhaps a random map. Perhaps that map would take more attempts to curate or edit for balance so as not to unduly disadvantage any particular AI (and to make room for bovine sanctums).

It is certainly interesting to see when the fast Culture wins crop up. I expected Culture to do worse on this map with three competitors, but Darius and Ramesses were targeted first, which I suppose made room for Louis to make a play even with fewer holy cities. The religious dynamics also made it difficult for coreligionists to target him. Perhaps with a more fractured religious composition Louis would have been more vulnerable...

Without aggressive AI option culture victories become far more common, like %80 of the times. Even with tech trading on, culture is always super faster and common. I think small maps help culture wins even more here. Or maps that make science rate lower than it needs to be. Probably archipelago type maps or cities with more water tiles boost science over culture. Maybe higher sea levels.

As for the final game once again we may have seen a much less likely outcome here. In my tests, most of the times game was divided into 3v2v1 with saladin having wars with both low and high pw sides to his advantage. I will certainly wait for alternative replays made by sulla over the next months. And I have never seen barbarians totally deciding the fate of the game in any of my tests or the previous championship games. Indeed barbarians could be turned off when using fair maps like that.

Top Bottom