3-way succesion game

Liberated Cape Town and Malacca. Liberated Genghis Khan. Took Ulundi and one of his coastal cities. I think it is good to have some coastal bases for easy upgrades. Also Ulundi got Great Lighthouse and Pyramids. Great! Zulu are down for the count and he can't comeback for all the damage we have done to him. Good for us.

I decided to build a couple of Caroleans and they are going to be useful along with the fleet that we are going to bring to the other CIVS. I also made the choice to split our fleet into two. One goes for Poland to the west and one goes for Germany in the east. We can even attack Poland to our east before going for Germany. It's up to you.

We got money right now and I would suggest we save all the money we have so we can upgrade all units. It's five turns to flight and five turns for Replicable Parts. I have pre-build OXFORD in our capital so it's at one turn.

We also got some Great Persons of different kinds to gift or do whatever.

I gifted a Great Person (Musician) to Buenos Aries so it should be our Ally soon. Also our religion has passed for extra votes and I purposed World Ideology Order for us.

Other than that I don't have much to say. Feel free to ask any questions @Mizzenmast, but I think you got this as always.

EDIT: I can't upload the save file right now. IDK why

Last edited:
Good work @bobbobbybobbob. I've started my round but have to pause, I'll post my update tonight. I like the Poland idea, I don't want to get in a war with Germany yet bc of his tech rate and huge GPT to us, but Poland should still be vulnerable to Frigates and we can continue XP farming. So I am going to blitz him first from both sides and puppet some coastal cities to upgrade our ships in.

I bribed/denounced/dow'd Poland right away, sent both fleets towards him as well as a land force through Germany’s borders, so we can take the inland capital. We went to 0 happiness declaring war so I built some Zoos, but then Poland revolted to Order and we went to 0 public opinion, gaining 12. Poland was quickly routed with 2 CS’s each capturing a minor city for us. We are just waiting on the artillery to arrive to take Warsaw. Oxforded Electronics t229 with 15k in the bank, started to upgrade our Frigates (and Caroleans, which I spammed). Inca nicely built us a Landmark.

Notes:
:c5goldenage:I was thinking to send land troops to protect the 2 CS near Germany’s southwest border and harass him from there, there's 1 Carolean there now.
:c5goldenage:We nabbed 3 Archaeologists.
:c5goldenage:Just bought a Prophet for spreading to Linkoping and then whatever you want to do with it.
:c5goldenage:Friendship with 3 civs including Germany just ended.
:c5goldenage:I put 1 turn in Railroad but if you want to go for Plastics so we can buy our Labs and bulb our many Scientists, that makes sense too.

Enjoy @Tiberiu! Germany has Subs, I think 4 in total. Screenshot shows some of them, and our 3 forces.
Spoiler :

230.jpg

Attachments

• t230.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
This game is feeling so easy now as you guys are doing such a first class play. :goodjob:I ask my team mates to excuse me for not warmongering Germany, maybe a bit too comfortable but I just thought we win so easy without even bothering with them. They were giving us money until recently so that was also a factor. The fleet is around the place and if you guys feel like having fun with Siam or Germany but at this point simply keeping our votes and doing a bit of Sim City will end this game really quick.

230: Since we are basking in cash I bulb 2 GS for Plastics and will buy research labs everywhere. I think this speeds up the victory since it seems Germany isn't getting to Information Era quickly enough. Then, going for Sattelites for Hubble or Globalization seems good enough for us to end this game on a crushing note. I renew 3 friendships and bring Warsaw to red HP with Battleship.
231: Captured Warsaw for Red Fort, Stonehenge and Temple of Artemis and 6 works of art. Buy Research labs everywhere, went to 1550 Science.
233: Captured Wroclaw with 4 works of art.
234: We eliminate Poland and take 5 works of art. We sell Lods to Siam for a lot of stuff (around 75 gpt and to Dow Maya)
235: We got Denounced by Siam. Who cares, at this point, though? I denounce him back.
237: Inca takes Autocracy and gives us -18 PO / -12 Hap. Whatever, next turn Order should become World Ideology and he will look like a fool. I give away an irrelevant city (the grand mesa one, Etekwini) to Mongolia to decrease tech costs and unhappiness.
238: Both World Ideology Order and Scholars in Residence passed. It does not matter what I propose, I chose World Fair for diplo boost.
I have to choose a policy and went with Party Leadership Order 2 tenet... I don't know if this is the best but it's good enough.
239: I used up the Scientists to get Satellites and we have an Engineer to bulb for Hubble so that we get 2 more Sci. With the Engi + Sci from Order 3 we should have more than enough science for Globalization if we want to. I bought us 2 bombers and a fighter to help kill Zulu faster. They only have 1 city. I paid Germany to war Siam for 6 gpt... they are now busy and will get weaker.
240. United Nations is founded and we have the votes. We should easily win in 20 turns.
I guess some deals ended because we are totally broke even if we are in a golden age (-42 gpt) but I trust Bobby will know what to do.

note:

-That prophet has 3 spreads and we should give them to Mongolia's cities so that they have more votes from World Religion.
- We can sell Ulundi to Inca for around 350 gpt if we want to so no need to stress about gold issues....
- I took the time to build Walls/Castles in some of our cities because we are also building Neutscwanstein.

empire240.jpg

Attachments

• Gustavus Adolphus_0240 AD-1650.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Zulu is out. Maya is soon out too. Germany stabbed us in back by denunciation. I killed off some cities from Siam and fleet is heading for Germany. Inca is friendly with us and we got good trades with them. I bulbed some scientists and went completely wrong in the tech tree. I figured we win by diplomacy unless you guys really wanna drag it out by domination.

I don't have much to say. Be friendly with Inca and maybe go to war with Germany? Maybe we just be peaceful, because I teched for Globalization for extra votes. No matter what we got enough votes so it was just a blunder. I tend to slack off when I know that I am in a strong position. I hope you don't mind @Mizzenmast!

Attachments

• T250.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 250.png
    250.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 60
Nothing much happened this time. I put all our units to sleep. War with Germany won't help us much and could risk a CS getting captured. Started giving away Caroleans to CS, maxed gold in all cities, built Wealth, stopped growing and sold our Aqueducts, Barracks etc. Globalization is researched, Diplomats in place. Raised our influence with some CS. Used the Order Engineer on CN Tower for a quest. We can buy a Prophet for a final gift, but I forgot. I don't want to jinx it... but good game guys!

Note: We're not currently getting world Religion votes because only 7 of our 14 cities are following it, so we should sell some puppets before the vote

Attachments

• AutoSave_0259 AD-1745.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
We won in turn 272 (I don't understand why the vote took place 30 turns from when the UN was founded and not 20... I am a bit confused) So the vote for the World Fair took place first and we won it with 2000 production.
51 votes out of 40 requirement (47 by ourselves and 4 from Mongolia)
I wanted us to be score leaders too so I nuked Germany in the final turn with a Nuclear Sub.

A good game, guys. :) @Mizzenmast @bobbobbybobbob

cities.jpg

demographics.jpg

Attachments

• Gustavus Adolphus_0272 AD-1804.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
I don't understand why the vote took place 30 turns from when the UN was founded and not 20... I am a bit confused
Vote timer for Modern era congress is 20 turns, and once it starts the countdown there's no way to change that. It looks like that's what happened on turn 238 for you guys: "238 [...] It does not matter what I propose, I chose World Fair for diplo boost."

Atomic era timers are 10 turns and the sessions alternate between WL votes and normal proposals. The world entered Atomic era on turn 240 and UN was founded, but since the Modern era countdown had already started 2 turns earlier, you had to wait out its full duration of 20 turns. So you get turn 238 + 20 (Modern congress timer) + 10 (WL timer) + 2 (changing era, founding UN and voting for UN host) + 2 (voting turns for the Modern proposal and WL) = 272.

Had UN been founded 3 turns earlier, you would've won on turn 251 I believe. Regardless, well played and congrats on the convincing win. :)

Atomic era timers are 10 turns and the sessions alternate between WL votes and normal proposals. The world entered Atomic era on turn 240 and UN was founded, but since the Modern era countdown had already started 2 turns earlier, you had to wait out its full duration of 20 turns. So you get turn 238 + 20 (Modern congress timer) + 10 (WL timer) + 2 (changing era, founding UN and voting for UN host) + 2 (voting turns for the Modern proposal and WL) = 272.

Hey, I really appreciate that you took the time to clarify and explain this so clearly! It's certainly good to know how these things work exactly so that Diplo victory can be achieved faster.

Had UN been founded 3 turns earlier, you would've won on turn 251 I believe. Regardless, well played and congrats on the convincing win. :)

Thank you for the encouragement!

Yes, thank you @vadalaz for that helpful breakdown. There is much for me to learn about end-game efficiency. I’ve been enjoying your own group’s games too. I think SGs have huge didactic value, for the players themselves as well as anyone else reading. They are like more digestible LPs, but even better because the multiple players will dialogue their strategy and weigh pros/cons. I definitely learned a lot from my teammates in this one game. Each of us had our (minor) blunders and shining moments.

I will say, this game reminded me of Sweden’s sheer power, especially on Deity. Every civ but Zulu was eager for friendship, giving us protection, gold access, and a huge GP% boost all game. Unfortunately the relative weakness of several GP types is what makes Sweden so good. Musicians, Admirals, Prophets… There wasn’t even a need to fill out a tree besides Liberty, because Prophets as a faith sink were good til the end of the game!

If @Tiberiu and @bobbobbybobbob are up for another, I think we should try something more challenging, to see if we can still manipulate our way to supremacy. Some ideas I had were: Indonesia/Polynesia on Pangaea, Rome with a poor capital, or inland Ottomans. We could also rule out Diplo for the next game.

I am up for another game @Mizzenmast. These games help to take the daily dose of civ without investing as much time as a normal game at once. And I liked the experience. Learned stuff too. You can roll map and choose the settings and the framework for the next game if you like. Bobby takes a break for now from what he told me but I think it will be fun in 2 players too. Or if you want to add somebody else, that is also ok.

Top Bottom