SGOTM 11 Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

BtS SGOTM 11 - Welcome the Goddess

Welcome to the C-IV SGOTM 11 Maintenance thread. This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

You are playing as Gandhi and, appropriately, your civilization is dedicated to the worship of the Goddess of Peace, Eldine, who will enter the world to bring in an era of everlasting happiness on the very day that you prove her righteousness to the world by securing a peaceful victory over the other civilizations. There is but one problem. Eldine is currently naked and must be clothed when she enters the world. In order to clothe her in a manner as befits a great Goddess, you must have access to fur, dye, silk and ivory. Your Holy books tell you that Eldine will use the fur as a portal through which to enter the world, and to demonstrate your devotion to her, you must have a welcoming party ready on the fur: Four great people (to symbolise Eldine's greatness) and four warriors (to symbolise the toil and labour as you raised Eldine's great civilization from a single settler). This will be no easy feat, since rumour has it that fur is so rare that only one unique supply exists, and that is heavily guarded by the most vile barbarians. Doubtless this was the result of meddling by the Devil Satan when the world was young and the Gods not paying sufficient attention.

Oh, and Eldine detests war and all its trappings. On the day she enters the world, she will question your brother and sister AI civs to ascertain how you have treated them, and will be distressed beyond belief should she discover that you have been excessively warlike towards them - in that case she will reject your civilization and look for more worthy worshippers.

Your aim in this game is to welcome in Eldine by securing a cultural or diplomatic victory that satisfies the following conditions:

• Every AI is still alive and running a state religion.
  • All your cities have access to fur, dye, silk and ivory.
  • You have the welcoming party of four great people and four warriors standing ready on the only fur in the world. (The great people can be of any type)
  • You are running a state religion which has been spread to every one of your cities.
  • No more than two AIs have a 'you declared war on us' negative modifier towards you.

The winner of the competition is the team that secures the earliest (measured by date) cultural or diplomatic victory where all these conditions are satisfied on the turn of your victory. Obviously your game is forfeit should you lose the game or win by some other victory condition. If you win a cultural or diplomatic victory without satisfying all the conditions, your game will be listed and ranked within a secondary group for the amusement of other teams (especially if you do something silly that makes it impossible for you satisfy the conditions, like letting ivory become obsolete, or having fewer than 4 warriors when your tech becomes too advanced to let you build any more).

Timetable
The start files will be published on Friday, April 23 here. There will be one start file per team. Please ensure that you only download your own team file.

The finish deadline is August 23 2010. If any team has not finished by this date they will be deemed to have retired, and will not be eligible for any awards.

Starting Position
Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
  • Playable Leader/Civ - Gandhi of India
  • Traits - Spiritual, Philosophical (starts with Mysticism and Mining)
  • Unique Unit - Fast Worker (replaces Worker)
  • Unique Building - Mausoleum (replaces Jail)
  • Starting Era - Ancient
  • Difficulty - Emperor
  • Game Speed - Epic (750 turns)
  • World size - Standard
  • Rivals - Six
  • Landform - Fractal
  • Sea level - Medium
  • Climate - Temperate
  • Other settings - No goodie huts, No events
  • Victory Conditions - All enabled
Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the HoF Mod BUFFY-3.19.003. This HoF Mod version is available here.

If a later BtS patch, or BUFFY version, is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in the above versions before updating your copy of BtS, or create and update a separate copy.

Mac players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows game on their system.
  • Awards
    Teams will compete for up to four awards - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the Fastest victory that meets the above stated conditions, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Current Team Lists
This is a dynamic feed from the database.

Enjoy your game. May the best team win.

Is it possible to close a team thread to non-team players?

No, it's not possible to close the threads. Nor is it even desirable since plenty of people not participating in the competition are likely to want to look at the threads from time to time.

Is it possible to close a team thread to non-team players?

Well what you really would need for that is a private forum, but that is just not going to happen for such a game. If you want to see what a private forum look, join the second BTS MTDG. The link is in my signature.

As DS has said, the SGOTMs are a spectator sport. I shall shortly be posting a front page announcement to say the game as started, and I believe quite a few people watch the teams and learn from them.

Making the team threads private would be equivalent to playing the Super Bowl, the Olympics or the World Cup Final in an empty stadium.

By the way, perhaps I should state explicitly that the team saves *are* now available on the Progress page.

Please make sure that only one team member plays the save during any turnset, that you upload the end-of-turnset save to the server in order to pass it on to the next player, and that you only play your own team save!

I've noticed there're no graphs corresponding to T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't.
Great effort to copy/paste their name... They deserve the Wooden Spoon for that thing only.:joke:

Great effort to copy/paste their name... They deserve the Wooden Spoon for that thing only.:joke:

We're working on it, when we get a head of steam up we can be quite quick. I would refer you to the Reaping Race (it's a good read).

We're working on it, when we get a head of steam up we can be quite quick. I would refer you to the Reaping Race (it's a good read).
Thank you.
I've noticed you have a link to your team thread (presumably, i don't dare to verify).
Please remove it, some less experienced player than me can have troubles following that link.

Thank you.
I've noticed you have a link to your team thread (presumably, i don't dare to verify).
Please remove it, some less experienced player than me can have troubles following that link.

Done, enjoy the read, I had to do it for my Junior Cert English.

I like to think that we are giving AlanH a challenge. As one Software dev to another, there is nothing like real world data to test on. :crazyeye: Or, bloody annoying, uppity teams, who think they are bringing the system down....

EDIT. Maybe we should be known as Team Spam, for our teams fondness for spamming the main SGOTM 11 threads.....

Oh, and don't worry about the "link" to the team thread in my sig. If you click on it, well, I don't want to spoil it, but it won't take you to the team thread. Just a case of random humor I cooked up.

Spoiler :
It leads to a warning on another forum I admin.

Just in case if the mods are unaware, but team T'dr'duzk b'hazg t't is now showing up as N/A in terms of score in addition to the lack of power graph. We've noticed this for the last few turnsets. I'm hoping that our usage of the apostrophe hasn't broken the system :eek:

I expect it has. I've already had to change several scripts to deal with your team name. I'll investigate.

Sorry you are having to do my testing for me, but right now, I'm up to my eyes in the most interesting UK general election in living memory. After polling day on Thursday, and catching up on sleep, I'll be able to give more attention to this activity.

[EDIT] Fixed - I think!

Hmm... Single quotes mucking up a system that probably deals with databases? Something tells me it's good the problem came up this way :)

Looks great AlanH, thanks for dealing with it.

@silu: perhaps we covertly were planning to bring reform and change to the status quo? :lol:

right now, I'm up to my eyes in the most interesting UK general election in living memory. After polling day on Thursday, and catching up on sleep, I'll be able to give more attention to this activity.
Yeah sure. Admit it--you're watching the snooker championships... :cool: boooorrrriiiiinnnnngg

Don't spoil it for me.....

I'm still a few days behind on the downloads, because we don't get it on TV out here.....

I assume it's no spoiler that there's an Aussie in the final :p

Top Bottom