Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
SGOTM 17 - The Quartermaster's Challenge

This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

Thanks for this scenario again go to kcd_swede.

The game description is quite simple this time: Kill them all.:ar15:

In this game, you will play as the Quartermaster, and like all quartermasters he thinks he's a king of his own holy empire.

The Quartermaster is Protective and Imperialistic. His unique unit is the Landsknecht, which replaces the Pikeman, and gets a combat bonus (100%) versus melee as well as mounted units. Your unique building is the Rathaus, which replaces the Courthouse, and gives -75% maintenance.

The game will be played at Immortal difficulty, at normal speed.
You will start in the Classical Era (2000BC), but Meditation, Polytheism, and Monotheism technologies have been removed for the player and for all AI (and for Barbs, who will start with same techs as AI). All religions can be founded in the usual way.

Game Options:
Culture flipping after conquest
No Vassals
No Huts
No Random Events

Opponents: 6 AI
Normal Speed
Map: Artificial, flat wrap

Starting screenshot
This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

To be eligible for an award (Laurels or Spoons) you must win the game any way you can.

Laurels' priority will go to the team that acheives the fastest Conquest victory. If not enough teams win by conquest to award all 4 awards then eligible teams can win the laurels based on the highest power-rating at the time of victory. Wooden Spoons will as always go to the eligible team finishing (winners ONLY this time) with the lowest final score.

If everyone is defeated.... well... it would sure be memorable:lol:

Although the goal is quite simple to understand, do not expect it to be easy to accomplish. Enjoy the Quartermaster's Challenge!:king:

Timetable

The game will start on February 22.

The completion deadline will be 6 July. Plan your game, and please avoid a last minute struggle to meet the deadline.

Links to saves and progress information are available on the SGOTM Progress Page

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the standard BUFFY-3.19.003 HoF mod.
    If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or create and update a separate copy.

Mac players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Current Sign-up Lists
The table below will display your stated team preferences as I add you to the database. The number of players in each team is shown in brackets, as are non-playing advisers.

Thanks Alan.

Will you be using the IP restriction again for team saves? I know it saved me a moment or two of sweat last SGOTM.

The restriction is now a standard feature of the download links. But it isn't foolproof, it's only there to reduce the chances of a misclicked download.

Reminder: Everyone in SGOTM17 should bookmark this thread.

As stated in your team threads and at the top of this one, I recommend that you SUBSCRIBE to this thread, then you will be notified if I make any announcements - like this one!

The SGOTM Progress Page will display the teams and start file links for this game in about 18.5 hours from the timestamp of this post.

Please make sure that you are all aware of the rules, particularly new players.

- Do not visit other team threads
- Only download your own team saves
- Only one player at a time makes irreversible changes to the game
- Do not reload and play old saves
- Upload saves to the SGOTM Server. Do not attach them to your team threads

Enjoy your games, and please be nice to each other :)

- Do not reload and play old saves

I think it is good to clarify that you may reload old saves and look around without doing any changes.

That's why I said reload AND PLAY. I still maintain that loading up saves to look around is risky!

I have been reminded that there used to be a restriction on uploading Turn Zero saves to the server.

This has not been the case for at least the last two SGOTMs, and I have reconfirmed that the submission script permits Turn Zero uploads. There is therefore no reason to upload any saves to your team threads, even at Turn Zero.

The trick when you reload a older turn is to pause the game and never unpause again before quitting. Even if some misclicked happened like a unit order, it doesn't process and doesn't keep in memory while quitting the game.

Reminder: to not unpause unless one wants to risk.

Your team saves are available.

Let the games begin!

Those about to die, we salute you. :salute:

^ it is already in Alanh Signature "Progress and results"

I've aded the link.

The restriction [on downloading other team saves] is now a standard feature of the download links. But it isn't foolproof, it's only there to reduce the chances of a misclicked download.

Three incorrect download attempts already?!? Wake up at the back there!

Should be able to. Please don't communicate anything you see to any of the players.

Minor request for the Progress page - it is showing turn 0 as turn 50. See, for example, Unusual Suspects save at 1800BC. In game, it displays as turn 5. On the progress page, it shows at turn 55. Any way to get the progress page to show the correct turn numbers?

I've fixed that, both in the graph views and in the list of team saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom