4th Annual CivFanatics Chess Tournament

Narz

keeping it real
Greetings! :) Just wanted to invite anyone interested to our newest forum chess tournament (I say annual but they usually go longer than a year).

Open to all players, any skill level.

As always I post this invitation first in Off Topic to try to recruit some new blood & the mods usually move it about 72 hours after posting to the Chess subforum. Thanks Mods! :)[/b]

Format is a bit different this year, format is still correspondence chess (which means you get an e-mail when it's your move & you have a certain number of days to do so) but the group sizes are bigger (8 players per group) and the time control is quicker (5 days per move instead of 14) to keep the tempo up. :)

It's a time commitment of at least a few months but it's not a lot of time on any individual day (since you only have to move every 6 to 10 days depending on how fast your opponent is).

You play seven games at once against everyone in your group (which sounds a bit overwhelming but remember you have many days per move & not all your opponents are going to move at the same time). Top two in each division (hopefully at least three divisions, ideally four, max five) advance to the semi-finals. So even if you lose some, if you place 2nd overall (in the double round-robin) you still advance.

If you'd like to join please join chess.com & then post your username here in this thread (easier than dealing with PM's) and I will send you an invite, once you accept, you're in (and you'll see your name on the tournament page). :)

Congrats to this past tourney's winner, our own Col! :goodjob: Any questions, please ask, I'd like to start the tourney July 15th but can delay it an extra few days if necessary. If you have a friend who wants to join, that's fine, but he has to join CFC first :whipped:. Obviously, as always, no use of computer or human assistance (opening reference books ok in correspondence).

Spoiler People Joined So Far :

1. Narz
  2. Mangoes
  3. DaveShack
  4. colinf (col)
  5. Tenna (Tomoyo)
  6. -waller- (Pacifist46)
  7. Xyan
  8. azzaman333
  9. mowque
  10. Chamnix
  11. petergrimes
  12. stegyre
  13. punkbass
  14. ChocolateUSA (Kennigit)
  15. IamElta (Elta)
  16. schmiddi
  17. Yeekim
Note : I auto-sent an invite to those who participated last year (except WhiteEagle who said he's not interested this year & AlpineTrooper who timed-out on all his games), if you're not interested this year just ignore.

I'm a bit rusty but I'll give this a try.

For some reason my username exists on the site but isn't linked to any of my email addresses.. none of my usual passwords work for it either, which is strange. So I thought that somebody must have taken 'warpus', but I looked him up, and.. it's me, linked to my facebook account somehow. I'll figure this out and join up sometime this week

Ok, well if you remember your password & can get in I've sent you an invite. If you can't & end up making a new account instead let me know & I'll send you one to that.

I'm a bit rusty but I'll give this a try.

For some reason my username exists on the site but isn't linked to any of my email addresses.. none of my usual passwords work for it either, which is strange. So I thought that somebody must have taken 'warpus', but I looked him up, and.. it's me, linked to my facebook account somehow. I'll figure this out and join up sometime this week

I believe facebook chess was integrated into chess.com at some point.

12 so far, shooting for 24 (that would give us three divisions of eight). Still have one week to jump in. :)

not sure which account so I sent invites to punkbass & punkbass2000, only one of you ruffians can join. :p

Top Bottom