(5-CP) Counterproposal: Switch worker effects from Statue of Zeus and Terracotta Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legen

Emperor
Counterproposal to (5-06) Statue of Zeus Change.

Spoiler Current Statue of Zeus :
Cost: 185 :c5production:
Culture: 2 :c5culture:
Faith: 1 :c5faith:
Unlocked at Bronze Working
Number of policies required: 2

A Worker appears near the City.
All Units gain +25% :c5strength: Combat Strength when attacking Cities.
Provides a Free Barracks in the City in which it is built.

-1 :c5unhappy: Unhappiness from :c5food::c5production: Distress in this City.

Spoiler Current Terracotta Army :
Cost: 200 :c5production:
Culture: 1 :c5culture:
Unlocked at Masonry
Number of policies required: 4

Tile improvement construction speed increased by 25%.
+10 :c5culture: Culture when you destroy an enemy unit in battle, scaling with Era.
Increases :c5war: Military Unit Supply Cap by 5.

Proposal
  • Statue of Zeus gains "Tile improvement construction speed increased by 25%" from Terracotta Army.
  • Terracotta Army gains "A Worker appears near the City" from Statue of Zeus.

Spoiler Proposed Statue of Zeus :
Cost: 185 :c5production:
Culture: 2 :c5culture:
Faith: 1 :c5faith:
Unlocked at Bronze Working
Number of policies required: 2

Tile improvement construction speed increased by 25%.
All Units gain +25% :c5strength: Combat Strength when attacking Cities.
Provides a Free Barracks in the City in which it is built.
-1 :c5unhappy: Unhappiness from :c5food::c5production: Distress in this City.

Spoiler Proposed Terracotta Army :
Cost: 200 :c5production:
Culture: 1 :c5culture:
Unlocked at Masonry
Number of policies required: 4

A Worker appears near the City.
+10 :c5culture: Culture when you destroy an enemy unit in battle, scaling with Era.
Increases :c5war: Military Unit Supply Cap by 5.

Rationale

The original intent behind the Statue of Zeus's free worker proposal was to add the +25% improvement speed from Terracotta Army instead; however, I already had another proposal involving the latter, so the original intent would violate the rule for one proposal per mechanic. As such, I opted to follow one suggestion to have Statue of Zeus add a free worker instead, as a good approximation of the original intent.

This counterproposal simply puts forward that original intent for Statue of Zeus, and hopefully leave both wonders at a more balanced state. The +25% worker speed should also be a good alternative for the "Workers do not suffer a reduced improvement rate when captured (ie. immune to prisoner of war debuff)" in the proposal I'm counter proposing; provides effectively half of that effect when you capture a worker, but, in turn, is useful for your regular workers.

What's the rationale behind your original intent to put the +25% improvement speed on Statue of Zeus?

What's the rationale behind your original intent to put the +25% improvement speed on Statue of Zeus?
Give Statue of Zeus some grounding beyond assaulting cities, and a natural synergy with Bronze Working's improved chopping bonuses (2 turns faster, consolidated the 20 :c5production: production on both Bronze and Iron Working into 40 :c5production: production in the former), which had been newly added in the congress session prior to that one. Pretty much the same rationale to the current free worker benefits, but less explosive in free production.

Statue of Zeus was often stated to be a weak wonder, so it had room for some buffs.

Both of these wonders are being positioned in this weird half-authority, half-progress incentivization. I don't know if that's the intention, but it feels really weird to be rushing "combat" wonders when all I want are worker enhancements. It's like seeing warmongers picking up Great Wall, because it happens to be along their favored tech path.

At least the proposal to amend Statue of Zeus so it enhances captured workers realigns it with warmongering.

Both of these wonders are being positioned in this weird half-authority, half-progress incentivization. I don't know if that's the intention, but it feels really weird to be rushing "combat" wonders when all I want are worker enhancements.
So it comes down to the idea that you need a minimum amount of infrastructure to conduct real war. You can't just play naked cities and expect to do well, your coffers will be empty and your people revolting.

The problem with SoZ before was that it was such a big hammer investment at a time you were also trying to build an army, and so you had no infrastructure to fall back on. The free worker ensured that you could push for teh wonder and still have a guy ready to give you key infrastructure. Now the original proposal seeks to maintain that same idea but in a more "war fare" way.

Yeah, I like the direction of SoZ with the plague immunity, it feels a lot more on-theme, and doesn't just try to make hammers worthwhile by... refunding your hammers.

It's still pretty awkward because you're trying to buy +25% :c5strength: vs. cities while also not training any actual units to take those cities during the time when cities are at their most take-able.

I'd also add, in regards to the OP, giving the tile improvement to the earlier wonder, and giving the worker to the later wonder, seems entirely backwards. If you didn't have a worker to begin with, the improvement speed is wasted, so you need to fit a worker in somehow anyway.

This would be a big nerf to terracotta and a big buff to SoZ. Not sure why we’re making the earlier wonder stronger than the later one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom