5 Overlooked Civs (Crete, Ethiopia, Moundbuilders, Israel, S Africa)

uncjanes

Chieftain
I do not have the skills to program the mods, but if anyone does I could work with you on the art/information/etc for the following civilizations. Each of these civs has had a major impact on the world in one way or another and (to my knowledge) none have appeared in any incarnation of Civ.

Crete
Leader: Minos
Trait: Strength of the Minotaur (+25% combat bonus when defending)
UU: Argo (Replaces Trireme, additional +1 to ranged strength, movement, and sight)
UB: Labyrinth (Replaces Colosseum, additional +2 happiness)

Moundbuilders/Hopewell
Leader: Great Sun
Trait: Early Innovation (+2 production per city until Engineering)
UU: Big Man (Replaces Warrior, additional +2 combat strength)
UB: Mound (Replaces Monument, additional +1 culture and +1 happiness)

Ethiopia
Leader: Haile Selassie
Trait: Scourge of Colonialism (Cities receive +4 defense bonus)
UU: Spear Thrower (Replaces Crossbowman, additional +3 to ranged strength)
UB: Oasis (Replaces Garden, improves from +25% Great Person bonus to 33% Great Person bonus)

Israel
Leader: David
Trait: Jewish Cunning (Tiles adjacent to river or coast generate additional 1 gold per turn)
UU: Slingman (Replaces Archer, additional +1 to range)
UB: Synagogue (Replaces Opera House, additional +1 culture and +2 gold per turn)

South Africa
Leader: Nelson Mandela
Trait: The Great Uniter (Happiness from buildings doubled)
UU: AK-47 (Replaces Infantry, additional +4 to strength and 25% combat bonus in Open territory)
UB: Prison (Replaces Workshop, improves to +33% prod. to buildings, with a penalty of -1 culture and -1 happiness)

Thoughts/Opinions?

Hi,

Thanks Kael’s modders guide, I think in creating a working civ the hardest part is to get the graphics, maps, civilopedia texts, city names etc :). I have a working civ template what I can update easily if I get the data. I can only create/modify XML files, so no LUA coding and sql experience, I hope to learn those in the future :).

About the civs you posted:

1)Crete
The Trait will require a new promotion, but it can be done.

2)Moundbuilders/Hopewell
The trait in this case seems more challenging, I will think about it, but maybe you will need a plan B. At the moment I think it can be done only by creating a free building which can be added by default to each city and giving +2 production bonus. In the trait files there is trait modifier 'Trait_YieldChanges', but non of the civs in the game use it, so I don't know what it does exactly.

3) Ethiopia
Trait: the issue is the same as in case of Moundbuilders/Hopewell, it can be done, but I think only with a free building in each city.

4) Israel
same as above

5) South Africa
The trait seems too powerful, and would require programming knowledge. I would use part of the Indian trait, so to have less unhappiness per population.
UB: It is possible to add negative modifiers to buildings, but without programming it would look like this +-:) . The other option would be if you select a different building which have some bonuses and to reduce those.

Creativus

I would choose,

Crete
UU: Talos (Giant Death Robot)

Ethiopia
UU: Shotelai (swordman)

South Africa
trait too mighty, maybe better +1 happiness for every happiness building.
UU: AK-47 is a weapon I think, better UU: Boer Partisan?

Mound Builders is quite funny:), I would like more Anasazis but that sounds good too.

Ethiopia was an additional in Civ IV, with the Oromo Warrior as a replacement for musketmen (I think) and the leader was Zara Yaqob. I'd love to see Ethiopia / Abyssinia in CiV in some form or other.

I do not have the skills to program the mods, but if anyone does I could work with you on the art/information/etc for the following civilizations. Each of these civs has had a major impact on the world in one way or another and (to my knowledge) none have appeared in any incarnation of Civ.

Crete
Leader: Minos
Trait: Strength of the Minotaur (+25% combat bonus when defending)
UU: Argo (Replaces Trireme, additional +1 to ranged strength, movement, and sight)
UB: Labyrinth (Replaces Colosseum, additional +2 happiness)

Moundbuilders/Hopewell
Leader: Great Sun
Trait: Early Innovation (+2 production per city until Engineering)
UU: Big Man (Replaces Warrior, additional +2 combat strength)
UB: Mound (Replaces Monument, additional +1 culture and +1 happiness)

Ethiopia
Leader: Haile Selassie
Trait: Scourge of Colonialism (Cities receive +4 defense bonus)
UU: Spear Thrower (Replaces Crossbowman, additional +3 to ranged strength)
UB: Oasis (Replaces Garden, improves from +25% Great Person bonus to 33% Great Person bonus)

Israel
Leader: David
Trait: Jewish Cunning (Tiles adjacent to river or coast generate additional 1 gold per turn)
UU: Slingman (Replaces Archer, additional +1 to range)
UB: Synagogue (Replaces Opera House, additional +1 culture and +2 gold per turn)

South Africa
Leader: Nelson Mandela
Trait: The Great Uniter (Happiness from buildings doubled)
UU: AK-47 (Replaces Infantry, additional +4 to strength and 25% combat bonus in Open territory)
UB: Prison (Replaces Workshop, improves to +33% prod. to buildings, with a penalty of -1 culture and -1 happiness)

Thoughts/Opinions?

subtly racist.

Each of these civs has had a major impact on the world in one way or another
Could you explain the major impacts that each civ has had on the world?
So far as I can see the closest would be Israel and Ethiopia. But it's also worth remembering that at the time of it's existance, ancient Israel was a minor player in world affairs. It is the impact of the religion it spawned that has had the impact (but hey, maybe that's me being picky).
I would like to see these civs, yes, (well not sure about Hopewell, not sure we know enough about them to create a decent civ), but not all civs have been major players historically, that doesn't mean they should be in, but why say they have had a major impact when they haven't? For instance I would like to see Kongo and Ashanti, but neither have had major world impacts.

Moderator Action: *snip* removed, totally inappropriate.

Wow, Crete! As someone who is part-Cretan, I'm excited to see this! But since your traits are more related to ancient Crete, why not name it the Minoans? Those was really our glory days anyway.

I would name the Civ trait for israel "Milk and Honey" or something along those lines. its a huge motif in that part of the bible.

quick question. I am new to civ 5 modding and scenario building, but I have a map i have edited, and would like to use the civilizations from this mod and others on that map in worldbuilder to create some scenarios, but I can't seem to mesh the two. Is there a way to access the new details on an existing map in worldbuilder?

perhaps the name of Israels special charachteristic should be "the promise land"

i disagree with Israels abilities, they should be more focused on religious development and espionage, both which have played pinnacle roles in their history, besides, no other civs speciality is based on either of these traits.

Funny how Ethiopia is in Civ V. They were also in Civ IV.

Crete has been a city (albeit far down the city list) in Greece for awhile.

I agree with NJC's comments regarding Israel. Perhaps Faith could be added to Culture when acquiring new land, along with immunity to death for Israeli spies. I'd also add that perhaps the UU should be moved to the modern era - in the Old Testament Israel repeatedly had its backside handed to it on a plate, whereas in more modern times it has fought a number of highly successful wars, often against several nations at the same time. Perhaps an Infantry unit with extra movement?

I've actually thought about what Crete could be like in CiV; I have no programming skills whatsoever, so it won't go anywhere, but my thoughts were roughly:
-I thought that there ought to be a ship, and I like your Argo. Presumably the extra ranged strength is in the profile, whereas the range and speed are a free promotion?
-I saw the labyrinth more as a walls type thing, although Colosseum probably makes more sense. I don't know if this mod is intended for Vanilla or G&K - perhaps in G&K it might be best as a Colosseum that provides a faith bonus? An alternative to the labyrinth could be a Workshop of Daedalus, a workshop which gives extra science and has a scientist slot.
-I was thinking of a UA reflecting the immense palaces of Crete - e.g. Palace Culture: +15% growth, production, gold, culture and science in the capital. Perhaps this is a bit OP, and 10% would be more appropriate.

(Oh, and there are several cities that would need to be removed from the Greek list - in particular Knossos, which is about the fourth city for Greece, would be the Cretan Capital).

Regarding South Africa, Mandela's UA seems a bit OP. I'd reduce it to something like "All buildings which increase Happiness add one more Happiness than they would otherwise."

Hope this helps. Then again, given that this thread appears to be almost two years old, it probably won't.

Top Bottom