(6-03) Extra Trade Route in Lategame

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralAmadeus

Chieftain
Proposal: Move +1TR from computers to refrigeration. Add +1TR to telecommunications.
Reason: The gap between electricity and computers is the only place in the tech tree that is 2 rows. Everything else has a gap of 1 row or no gap. Also refrigeration is a bit meh at the moment. You only want it if you have a need for oil.

Spoiler Tech tree image :
Civ5Screen0036.jpg

Database Changes Required

Last edited by a moderator:
When I played as Venice a few weeks ago, I was disappointed by the large gaps in trade route possibilities later in the game. I like this proposal.

As a noob I have not been into late game so far. Can anyone else say his opinion on that?
@Stalker0 I don't know what PLENTY means, but I suppose you have multiple unused TRs, right?
This is getting even more trivial if you play with More Wonders modmod, which adds even more possible Trade Routes to the player.
I'm leaning to "no".

Sometimes I feel like trade routes should scale a little bit with map size, but other than that it seems constrained but fair. I do feel like I'm making decisions with where to send my TRs already, whether to CS for Statecraft influence, which Civ isn't likely to stab me in the back and kill my caravan, that sort of thing.

for me, we have PLENTY of TRs in the late game, I don't see needing one more, it feels like bloat just for the sake of bloat.

I agree with this point. A bit after corporations, it starts to feel more like a chore than a strategic choice. Especially after getting sanctioned or the war state changes, you have to reroute all those trade routes again manually. Sometimes my logic follows quite simple rules like, put a TR to every civ for the tourism boost or put all TR's to this single civ until saturated, because it gives the highest yields or places the most franchises, but I will have to place all of those individual micro routes again.

for me, we have PLENTY of TRs in the late game, I don't see needing one more, it feels like bloat just for the sake of bloat.
Could lower the free TRs from Corporations from +2 to +1 to "make room"

When you have too many trade routes, did you also play to maximize your trade route count? Would you still feel like you had too many if you didn't get petra/colossus etc?

that I could see, would reduce the gap a little for the civs that don't manage to get a corp
With this suggestion I think it could stand. @GeneralAmadeus, what do you think? Would you amend it with this?

I don't think I ever feel like I have "too many trade routes" from techs alone. In fact it feels insufficient if you have neither Petra, Colossus, Statecraft, Industry nor corporation.

I don't think I ever feel like I have "too many trade routes" from techs alone. In fact it feels insufficient if you have neither Petra, Colossus, Statecraft, Industry nor corporation.
Let me propose it this way, why do we need "more" TRs? Are corps not spreading fast enough? Do we not have enough late game yields? Is managing 10 TRs just not enough?

We can always just add more....but why should we add more?

Let me propose it this way, why do we need "more" TRs? Are corps not spreading fast enough? Do we not have enough late game yields? Is managing 10 TRs just not enough?

We can always just add more....but why should we add more?
Yeah, the argument that gap in tech tree between techs adding a TR is too big seems to be not enough.

From a realism perspective, refrigeration was critical for trade and enabled significant growth in America due to refrigerated rail cars being able to transfer frozen meats and other goods of much longer distances.

Countering with early computers, I think refrigeration was immediately more impactful for expanding trade. Early computers, to my knowledge, had very little impact on trade. Especially with telecommunications broken out as a separate tech. I like this change from a realism perspective, but I'd counter with simply moving the trade route up to refrigeration and not adding an additional route at telecommunications.

Of note, there are no additional trade routes after computers currently, and that is also a greater than 2 row gap.

Sponsored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom