(6-08b) Acquire City Quest - Era-Scaling Global Pool XP Reward (Distributed Equally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozrael

Chieftain
Counter-Proposal to: Modify City Capture Quest XP
CurrentProposedRationale
Conquer a City-CS quest XP Reward15-20 Global Experience that can be multiplied and changed for variety. This is granted to all units.90-110 Global Experience, scaling with era, that can be multiplied and changed for variety. This is granted but divided to all units evenly in the army down to a minimum of 2 XP.Rewards smaller armies while still accounting for army growth throughout the game

Flat experience (Original Proposal or Engineer's counterproposal A as opposed to current) is doubly useful earlier in the game regardless of playstyle - you have less units, and need less XP per level-up at the levels your units will be. Taller empires will have less units than wide ones at any stage of the game, but unit count is a poor single lever for tweaking tall vs wide because it is muddied by universally increasing unit supply over the game.

Spoiler Original counter-proposal :

Considerations:
1: Awarding experience in this way is more valuable point for point than either the current or 6-09a distribution mechanisms (you get focused levelups, immediately).
2: I propose awarding it to units closest by percent to a level up so that low-level units don't claim all of the available experience in the lategame.
3: Flat experience (6-09a or 6-09b) is doubly useful earlier in the game regardless of playstyle - you have less units, and need less XP per level-up at the levels your units will be.
- Taller empires will have less units than wide ones at any stage of the game, but unit count is a poor single lever for tweaking tall vs wide because it is muddied by universally increasing unit supply over the game.
4: Experience on ranged/siege units is more valuable, as their opportunity for experience income is much lower than melee. Range units thus take twice as much from the pool. Breakeven estimates below assume half of your army is ranged.

All together:
How much total experience should this quest grant in comparison to normal warring? 6-09 identifies that chaining these quests frequently dominates your normal experience income from warring. I agree but would prefer to tone this down without permanently locking a quest type. Goal is still have it be a valuable consideration to pursue.
- Compared to the current quest, it breaks even in Ancient/Classical at ~6 units, in Industrial with ~23, and in Information with ~40. These are intentionally lower than a warmongerer would likely have at this time.
- Compared to 6-09a, it breaks even in ~Renaissance. It won't dominate early army experience income nearly as hard, but both it and the current implementation will be far more relevant to a warmongerer in the lategame when 6-09a will feel almost irrelevant.

EDIT: Stripped out most of the recommended changes as Discord pointed out that I'd have to somehow pack it all into the tooltip D:

Complex Proposal: DLL + UI + Database Changes

Last edited:
Think it got misplaced, should be in proposal section?

(Got feedback from discord, making some major edits right now).

And yes, reported my thread and asked to move it there.

EDIT: Stripped out most of the recommended changes as Discord pointed out that I'd have to somehow pack it all into the tooltip D:

90-110 Global Experience, scaling by era, that can be multiplied and changed for variety.
Are you proposing to multiply the XP from the quest by more than 5 times? :dubious:

I'm going to assume that's unintended and you meant Enginseer's proposal but with a lower quantity, and add a minimum of 2 XP per unit.

Er, my proposal is a global pool instead of per unit. The # is intended.
My # should be lower than enginseers early and much higher later, iirc.
Enginseer's proposal is a pool of 250-300 global XP, with a minimum of 2 XP per unit.

Yours is 90-110, scaling with era. I added a minimum of 2 XP because it's otherwise possible to have enough units that you'd get 0 XP from the quest.

Sponsored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom