(6-CP) Make Coal Spawn on Tundra and Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.

APLion

Chieftain
There was some discussion about the lack of coal and imbalance of its distribution on communitas maps, but the problem is present on all the standart mapscripts (afaik). The base CIV5 only allows TERRAIN_PLAINS and TERRAIN_GRASS for coal and it severely cripples already resouse-starved desert and tundra starts. Moreover, coal is the only strategic that cannot spawn in tundra.

So my proposition is to allow coal to spawn on desert and tundra tiles. It wouldn't even contradict the real world.

Mapscript Changes

Last edited by a moderator:
Coal and Oil are supposed to not overlap. I'd accept Coal on Forests (on Plains or Grassland) and nothing more.

Even then, the total number of coal on the map won't change.

Some design choice in vanilla that we followed. A player may lack coal or oil near their start, but not both at the same time. Meanwhile the early Iron and Horses are pretty much distributed universally.

I think all Strategics should be more scarce and better (equally) distributed throught the map. Currently there's a chance you won't get particular strategic and you want or must make your civ rely on it. This thing, availability, should differentiate them from luxuries. Of course trade would then be even more advisable.

With +100% bonus from tenet or Russian UA you get horrific numbers you are not even able to use.

Last edited:
Use your resource surplus to buy the resources you don't have. Don't make enemies with a civ whose resources you need.

I will admit that oil is less important than coal, as someone who has more coal than average likely just gets to spend them on more factories.

Last edited:
There's no ability to have Coal OR Oil as a building's required resource, right? The problem seems to stem from the perception that not getting a Factory in every city puts you behind a lucky player who is able to do that. So I wonder if just adding a mutually-exclusive "Oil Factory", maybe at a different tech, would ease the situation without needing to homogenize Oil and Coal spawn locations. Or somehow adding the ability for OR requirements, and then letting Factories (but not Trains or Seaport) use either.

I like that scarce oil or coal has a direct impact on what your army composition might be. Just doing away with that I think cheapens the strategy around these resources.

No Oil - you get no tanks and planes until Information
No Coal - you get no factories, seaports and train stations

I think it's pretty balanced.

No Oil - you get no tanks and planes until Information
No Coal - you get no factories, seaports and train stations

I think it's pretty balanced.
If you don't have oil, you can shore up your weaknesses with AA and defensive troops.

If you don't have coal, you are at a production deficit until you can use your oil to capture cities that have it.

Why is this marked as [Database]? This proposal clearly more of mapscript changes than a database change.
A mistake.

I will sponsor this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom