6otM 50 AAR - Gilgamesh of Sumeria

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 50 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please attached your victories saves to your post.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you bother with religion?

- Were City-States helpful?

- How did the new features help you?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
SCI T193

Settled on the rice. Build order was scout, settler, builder, monument (bought), archer, and 8 war carts. Sent 4 war carts to Russia and 4 to Eqypt. By T60 I had captured the home continent. Home continent was very big and I built ancestral hall, and was also having +50% settler card. So I could expand quite fast. I wanted to have Goddess of Harvest as there was lots of things to chop, but AI managed to get it. I took Divine Spark, which is not bad either and a lot more convenient for not having to manage builders so much.

I saw Poland and Mongolia on continent, which was easy to get after shipbuilding. With couple of knights, it was easy to conquer them. At this point I wanted to find city states for more science, culture and gold. It took long time to find them, but eventually there were some really good ones: Nan Madol, Kumasi and Stockholm especially.

I also got religion from captured holy sites in Russia. I took +2 gold from cities following religion and +1 amenity in cities having 2 districts.

Reached Rocketry very early, but it was 38 turns to build... So I decided to build Big Ben and gather 7200 gold and buy it instead with the finance governor. I think this is the fastest science victory for me so far, few turns could have been shoved off but not much.

Attachments

• g50_gilga_sci_t193.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • g50_sci_t193.png
    g50_sci_t193.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 225
SV Turn 233 Score 1535 I think it was?

My science research worked out fine (though I should have played the campus adjacency card much earlier than I did, I built so many campuses with zero or one adjacency bonus that I didn't think it would be worth it, but when I finally plugged it in late in the game just because I had nothing better, I gained over 100 more science per turn). My great person generation was behind where I wished it should have been though, as was my industrial production. I probably should have built more research projects and fewer research stations.

Ended up with 26 cities, captured three from Peter and four from Cleo so that must be nineteen settled, including two captured settlers.

Campuses, Hubs, Apprenticeship, Cartography, Industrialization and on up to rocketry with a slight detour to Steel. Political Philosophy, Drama and Poetry, Mercenaries, Exploration, Suffrage, Space Race

I didn't "bother" with one but got a great prophet anyhow from captured holy sites. Picked Jesuit Education, a mistake as I never used it.

Marginally. Didn't find Stockholm until pretty late and then I had to rip it away from Genghis Khan, and that was the only scientific CS on the map, unless the AI conquered one that before I noticed it. The amenities from Buenos Aires were welcome, as was the culture from Kumasi.

Chained golden ages together though a couple of them I achieved only narrowly. Monumentality, Free Inquiry, Reform the Coinage, Heartbeat of Steam.

The scarcity of mountains on my home continent was annoying.

Indeed!

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 6otm50 SV t233.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 102
SV Turn 253 - 1710 AD - Score 1776

Settled 16. Captured 2 from Russia and 3 from Egypt.

Early on had to fight barb and 2 civs, so went for some military techs. Major priority throughout the game was to be able to research techs and policies faster.

Could not get God of Harvest, which really messed up the game greatly and chose Religious Settlements as nothing else seemed to make sense. From Russia got a Holy Site, which made me found religion myself. Chose +1 Amenity for 2 districts and +1 gold and +1 science for Commercial Hub and Campus. Overall, the religion played very little and actually passive role in this game.

Buenos Aires was helpful overall, and for that kept him alive and suzerain throughout the game.

Had golden age in all ages except first. Because of missing Got of Harvest, Magnus was much lesser helpful, but he was still the governor in command as he helped with chopping down settlers without losing population.

Not exactly. Was expecting something from Mongolia, but nothing happened throughout the game.

Wasn’t bad, but didn’t enjoy it too much either. The game didn’t seem to bring much of a challenge in gameplay.

Thanks.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 253 1710 AD Score 1776.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
SV Turn 221 - 1550 AD - score 1296

Seeing how many bonus ressources/cattle were around the capital, I decided to center my game around getting the zimbabwe and generate tons of gold with trade routes. I ended up with 50 000 g after big ben, with over 1000 gpt, mainly from the capital. I could buy the spaceport with Reyna and buy some relevant late game eurekas but most of the gold was unnecessry tbh. It was fun to try that though!

-Build order
War carts only (*8), bought one settler, maybe a builder 2nd or 3rd

15. Settled 10 (incl. 1 snatched settler), captured 2 from Russia and 3 from Egypt. I couldn't possibly manage more without CQUI and still enjoy the game.

Tech : Mining, nothing special. Rocketry by T182.
Civics : Beeline military tradition for cav prod boost. Then state workforce, early empire, pol. phi. to get the ancestral hall. Late game focuses were Capitalism for my Zimbabwe city, suffrage and globalization.

Pantheon: faith from quarries since i had some in my capital for zimbabwe.
I got one from Russia hoy sites. Went for 1 g and 1 science from campuses and comm hub, and the jesuit education. Not very impactful, I bought 1 or 2 unis and museums with that.

- Were City-States

Not before late game. I captured Buenos aires early. Discovered Hattusa and stockholm later, they were very useful for the type bonus. I also suzerained Kumasi in the late game, I didn't know its new R&F bonus and it proved to be insane with my zimbabwe city, smthg like +100 culture.

Loyalty didn't play any role. All golden ages, monumentality at first

Lucky relic in first hut, still didn't get harvest.
Many barb camps spawning on my continent, nice with Gilgamesh but it delayed my first conquest a bit.

Yes, but nothing was really exciting if I had not decided to focus on Zimbabwe. That prevented me from chopping in my capital which felt good.

Thank you for the games! I look forward to playing Spain, but I hope the renaissance start will not be a problem since there is a lot to do before enjoying all renaissance Spain uniques (found a religion, settle extensively oversea, develop a trade network, fight with conquistador and religious units, build missions and campuses)

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 221 1550 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 107
  • gotm50-gilga-SV-T221.png
    gotm50-gilga-SV-T221.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 157
  • GILGAMESH 221 1550 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 141
151T

This time gold was the bottleneck. Moon landing was delayed due to lack of funds. I couldn't purchase the tiles needed to chop. Thus, whole space project got stuck until I had enough gold.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
40ish. Built only one settler. Captured few settlers. Faith purchased dozen with monumentality + goddess of harvest.

1. Pantheon, settling on not so good spot after seeing natural wonder and still had to purchase a tile to get more faith per turn
2. War-carts

- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
Egypt (T52)
Russia (T53)
Poland (T77)
and so on until Germany and Macedonia were only ones left

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
War-carts, upgraded few of them to knights.
Zero navy, except great admirals.

- Did religion play a role in your game?
Yes, got first religion thanks to Egypt and Russia who build my 2 holy sites for me.
Took jesuit education.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
Conquer, settle, chop,

-Did you enjoy the game?
Yes, thanks for the game.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 151 800 AD sv.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
T154, 860AD, Science Victory

- Cities & early build order?
1-URUK
(SIP): 10-War-Cart, Scout(TV), Monument(gold), 19-Settler, Builder, 3xSlingers, 3x War-Cart, Settler, 54-Gov Plaza (first district), 55-Campus,…,65-Commercial Hub
21-ERIDU (by Mount Roraima for +3 sc/fa in city center): Granary (gold), Monument; with Liang started buying builders with faith on T61
T33,37 settled Lagash and Kish with 1 each captured settler from Russia/Egypt. Finished with 34 cities.

- What did you prioritize for research, policies, and governance cards?
Research
: chop stuff, writing/currency, machinery, space stuff
Civics: Pol Phil, D&P, then better governments; sadly didn’t get the early bonuses for FT,SW,PP so had to slog through them
Governance: varied, but generally faster units, science, gold

- Districts? Prioritized Campuses and Commerce Districts, followed by Theater Squares, then others needed for eureka moments; used the Gov Plaza bonus more than ever before, basically surrounding it with other districts for 3 Science districts with +3 adjacency bonuses, all with no mountains

- Governors? Started Magnus x2, Liang, Pingalla, Amani

- Wonders? Pyramids; Colosseum; Kilwa Kisiwani; Big Ben; some others toward end for fun, but not a focus

-Ages? T61: Golden Age, Monumentality; T97: Golden Age, Free Inquiry

- Religion?
Pantheon
: Goddess of the Harvest (7th TV/BE gave me a relic)
Religion: Jesuit Education & Holy Order (didn’t build any Holy Sites, just one captured from Russia)

- Barbarians? early warrior & war-cart focused on exploration and barb encampments which gave lots of stuff; lost one slinger in an early barb semi-rush when a horse from one barb encamp showed up by another barb encamp

- Military? War/peace? war-carts that eventually became knights to take on Mongols & America; 4 galleys and a quad starting on T66; 2 early wars captured a settler each from Russia and Egypt; eventually assimilated all but Macedonia and Germany

I didn’t find a second one until T86, but eventually had Suz of most, so yes

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
Generally chop for faith, faith for settlers/builders, faith for missionaries to spread religion in smaller cities and then science/culture buildings in those cities, switch to Free Inquiry in Medieval Era for big science with high gold focus also.

I could have done better chopping by doing it more in cities that Magnus never visited; sometimes held off thinking he would get there. The 7 chop builders would have easily paid for themselves if I built more.

I didn’t save chops in a core city to be able to do the space race fast, so my Space City ended up all the way over by America (chopped the settler after capturing an American City). The settler wasn’t even made when I discovered rocketry on T127 and satellites on T132. I didn’t launch anything until T147. A better plan would have set up chops on T132 to yield Globalization / International Space Agency for +100% science with all the Suz. I was spending over 1000 gold on builders at the end, so definitely needed to plan the end better.

It was awesome as always. Continued awesome job on GOTM.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 154 860 AD win.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
Science win in 1920 AD (Turn 341).

I only settled about 6 cities total, and only about 4 initially.

I had an early surprise war with Peter (he declared on me after we became friends), so I wiped him off the map, conquering his cities. I also ended up taking over a couple of Egyptian cities via Loyalty. This put me at about 12ish cities for most of the game.

I did not bother with religion, since Peter had and I took over his cities early on. I never deliberately spread it.

Mongolia was the nemesis of the world once I knew all of the civs. At one point, I went to war with Mongolia due to an alliance and liberated a few cities for the person I was allied with (Jadwiga).

It appears the AI was not focused on a single victory condition even though there was only one victory condition present. Mongolia and America were the only other civs who appeared to be seriously pursuing a science victory. Even Mongolia and America were never close, though. I breezed ahead in research without much effort.

The only thing I did not enjoy were the crashes. I had taken a break from ciVI for awhile due to constant crashes (with an error message about my display not working but the crashes always occurred at the same time, right after clicking Next Turn arrow). It still happens too often for me, and happened about 8 times. In all cases I had an autosave from right before the crash and attempted to do the same thing during that 1 turn, then the game continued when I clicked Next Turn...but it got very annoying and I got sloppier as a result.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 341 1920 AD Victory.Civ6Save
    2.8 MB · Views: 177
Science victory, turn 262, score 1484

I have really got to learn to expand more early on, only build the district I need for the VC and use the district projects a lot more.

Attachments

• 6otM50A_Sci_Vic_T262_S1484.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 165
T269 (1790AD) Space victory, score approx 1500 (Marcus Aurelius ranking).

SIP, scout, war cart, builder, chop settler for Rorama. Third city to the west and built gov plaza there, with 3 campuses adjacent and one industrial district. Wiped out Russia very early (2 captured cities), loyalty flipped one egypt city, and then filled out the land with settlers. Egypt only built like 3 cities for the longest time. Eventually captured most of Mongolia; then wiped out egypt because I felt like some action.

Religion was useful (stone circles, Jesuit education) for buying campus buildings with faith. Was in Golden age the whole game, and that let me buy builders and settlers. But I think I overbuilt in cities and underdeveloped the tiles. I'll focus the other way next game and see what happens.

I forgot the Royal Academy so the first space part was slowed by a few turns until I remembered to pump up some builders. Anyhow, finishing space before 1800AD is an acheivement for me, so I am happy with the game.... and it was a lot of fun!

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 269 1790 AD space win.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 135
Spoiler question--

Spoiler :

Was Trajan supposed to be in this game?

It didn't appear someone was eliminated early on, but I can't help but notice that all of the other people we are playing in later games (Khan, Philip II, Roosevelt) are in the game...except for Trajan.

Please only answer "yes" or "no" based on whether you saw Trajan in *THIS* game, I do not want any spoilers for later games if there may or may not be a theme, since we were explicitly given an order to play them in!

One city T378 science victory. I played this a while ago, but basic strategy of using war carts/knights/tanks to reduce everyone else to small empire and then taking out barbarian camps for eureka moments. I got divine inspiration belief and built lots of early wonders too. :) Ziggurats are always useful too. I was a little miffed about settling just outside Mount Roraima tiles once the fog cleared, but it was still a very sweet location for one city.

Fun game. Thanks for hosting.

cas

Attachments

• 6otm50-cas-GILGAMESH-T378-1957AD.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 96
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom