7.4 Quake strikes New Zealand

It is good to see that there is no loss of life and the damage is rather small, for such a quake.

According to wiki, there were two serious injuries and one person died of a heart attack, so there was a fatality, if only one.

Some more updates:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11187166

An overnight curfew has been imposed in Christchurch, New Zealand, following a powerful 7.0-magnitude earthquake.

Police said the curfew was intended to protect people from falling debris, as the quake caused significant damage.

The mayor of the city, Bob Parker, described the scale of the damage as immense, and a state of emergency has been declared.

There have been strong aftershocks, and weather forecasters say gale force winds are expected within 24 hours.

The quake caused considerable infrastructure damage, but local officials say power has been largely restored and tankers will supply water.

There are thousands of earthquakes in New Zealand every year, but very few do any damage.
'Unsafe'

The earthquake struck off New Zealand's South Island, the US Geological Survey has said, in the early hours of the morning when most people were asleep.

The epicentre was 44km (27 miles) west of Christchurch, at a depth of about 5km, the USGS said.

Two men were seriously injured by falling masonry and glass, but there have been no reports of fatalities.

"The damages are incredibly frightening. The only thing you can say it's a miracle that no-one lost their life," Prime Minister John Key told TV NZ.

Many homeowners faced a cold winter's night and leaking or damaged homes. Hours after the quake, one building in the Christchurch city centre burst into flames, following a suspected gas leak.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said the "sharp, vicious earthquake" had caused significant damage in parts of the city.

He said daylight showed that the damage was considerably worse than first thought.

"There would not be a house, there would not be a family in our city that has not in some way have damage done to their person, to their property," he said on national radio.

"I think it's like an iceberg; there is... below the visible line, significant structural damage."
'Terrifying'

Police said damage and power outages had been reported as far afield as Dunedin, 360km (223miles) to the south-west.

Chimneys and walls had fallen from older buildings, with roads blocked, traffic lights out and power, gas and water supplies disrupted, he added.

"There is considerable damage in the central city and we've also had reports of looting, just shop windows broken and easy picking of displays," police inspector Mike Coleman told Radio New Zealand. "It's very unsafe to be out and about."

Susan Birkbeck, who lives in the centre of Christchurch, told the BBC: "It was absolutely shocking, we're all terrified and scared of what's going to happen next."

"I was asleep when suddenly the house started shaking and there was this smashing sound, I thought a large truck had just driven through the front window."

"I'm now sitting on my bed surrounded by broken glass and I've no idea what to do. The walls and roof are just hanging, it's terrifying," she added.

The local newspaper, The Press, said it was felt widely across the South Island, including Christchurch and the nearby port city of Timaru.

New Zealand lies at the southern end of the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, and above an area of the Earth's crust where the Pacific Plate converges with the Indo-Australian Plate.

The country experiences more than 14,000 earthquakes a year, of which only around 20 have a magnitude in excess of 5.0.

The last fatal earthquake was in 1968, when a 7.1-magnitude tremor killed three people on the South Island's western coast.

It's 33 hours after the major quake now, and we're still getting the 5-30 minute interval aftershocks, quite a few above magnitude 5. Looks like the faultline might take a couple of days to settle down, but we'll ride it out. :)

I bit worse than I originally thought. At first I got the impression it was half a dozen wrecked buildings and a little bit f rubble here and there. About 2 billion dollars in damage apparently with numerous wrecked homes, sewage problems, and infrastructure damage.

Most of the damage is confined to the centre and eastern city though. In the western suburbs (where I live), you can literally hardly tell anything happened, apart from the odd building with a few bricks or stones missing (mostly churches). We're still instructed to boil water just in case, but in reality in our part of the city it's pretty crystal clear and probably unlikely to be harmful.

The number of aftershocks is quite amazing though - 111 of them in the area since the main quake 3.5 days ago, three of them magnitude 5.4 and six others between magnitudes 5.0-5.3. There's also just recently been a couple of earthquakes in the Hawkes Bay region in the North Island (500+ km away), including a 5.2 magnitude one, which may have been triggered by all the large quakes down south. Will be interesting to see how much longer this chain reaction continues for.

Should be some pictures here. I'll try and post some later.

Lets see if this works

Kid skateboarding on the road

Downtown

Soldiers on cop car

St Pauls school.

Interesting. The place doesn't seem too messed up, thankfully.

News said $2.2CDN billion in damages, so that's a slight blow.

2 billion in a country of 4 million. Its something like 3% of GDP maybe 2.somethingorother. Same size as the one that nailed Haiti. The main problem seems to be the area is a aluvial plain and sandy which has forced liquid sand over the streets and ruined water supplies in rural areas.

Here's a series of images swiped from Wikipedia, flatmates, university staff, and Facebook.

In the central city of Christchurch:
Spoiler :

In the countryside just out of Christchurch:
Spoiler :

You can also view a neat flyover of the fault trace out in the countryside by clicking here.

At the university, in the physics building:
Spoiler :

You can also view some of the damage inside the libraries and other buildings by clicking here.

Finally, here are some analysis plots I did of the quakes over the last few days. I also got bored at one point and decided to start predicting when the big aftershocks might come, without much success. ;)
Spoiler :

Hope that interests some people. :)

Top Bottom