Magnitude 6.0 earthquake rocks San Francisco area

Awww shooot man, #Berkeleycfcmeetup

Naw, we're actually pretty safe from any statistically realistic "big one". The big one probably won't go much higher than a 7.5, which is huge, but manageable.

~holds breath~

What will really ruin us all is a Cascadia fault event in the Pacific Northwest. Those can go at high as the 9's, and could send 100 ft tsunami waves as far as LA in 15 minutes. The last one was around 300 years ago and they happen sometime between every 500 and 1000 years according to archaeologists, meaning we are due.

California!

Awww shooot man, #Berkeleycfcmeetup
Yeah it's long overdo. Someone from outside the Bay come visit so that we have to commit to a date!
What will really ruin us all is a Cascadia fault event in the Pacific Northwest. Those can go at high as the 9's, and could send 100 ft tsunami waves as far as LA in 15 minutes. The last one was around 300 years ago and they happen sometime between every 500 and 1000 years according to archaeologists, meaning we are due.

California!
Let's just hope it doesn't happen that way. A 9 is horrific, but if it's far North enough and manages not to wash us away then hurray for the reset button.

Surely sheep or goats were used before mechanical mowers?
I didn't really mean at the exclusion of other methods. Sorry if it came across that way.
So do you people make plans for the looming "big one" that's set to shake you off into the sea? Have you considered building an ark?
Eh, California might be prepared for the big one, but it's our neck of the woods that's potentially screwed, blued, and tattooed if the big one ever breaks loose at New Madrid. You can kiss St. Louis and Memphis goodbye. Something to do with the ground here compared to California lets the waves travel much further without losing strength.

Yeah it's long overdo. Someone from outside the Bay come visit so that we have to commit to a date!

I just went up to the Bay Area last week to drop my bro off at Berkeley. T_T

Maybe next time I visit him?

I just went up to the Bay Area last week to drop my bro off at Berkeley. T_T

Maybe next time I visit him?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Eh, California might be prepared for the big one, but it's our neck of the woods that's potentially screwed, blued, and tattooed if the big one ever breaks loose at New Madrid. You can kiss St. Louis and Memphis goodbye. Something to do with the ground here compared to California lets the waves travel much further without losing strength.

I can say with a high degree of confidence that no state touched by that red area enforces building codes designed around magnitude 6+ earthquakes, so screwed, blued and tattooed is probably putting it mildly.

I can say with a high degree of confidence that no state touched by that red area enforces building codes designed around magnitude 6+ earthquakes, so screwed, blued and tattooed is probably putting it mildly.

We had a dinky one several years ago. The things my 100 year old housebarn did were alarming. If we get a big one, that thing is coming down.

We need to develop some sort of geologic acupuncture technique to relieve all this tectonic tension.

Top Bottom