[Vote] (7-44) Remove Notification When a Trade Route from Another Player is Plundered

Include in VP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

axatin

Prince
Proposal: Remove the notification "Player X has plundered a trade route player Y established with you."

Rationale: It's unnecessary and there are too many notifications in the game. The fact that a foreign trade route with the player has been plundered isn't in any way important, the yields are very low. If the player wants to go for CV and wants to have a trade connection with some other player, they will check if a route exists anyway the next time they have to decide where to send a trade unit to.

There are two notification with the city connection icon in red: The notification that one of the player's trade routes has been plundered, and the notification that a foreign trade route with the player has been plundered. Only the former one is important, and it can immediately be recognized by its icon if the latter one is removed.
Screenshot (590).png

I dunno, what if one day we decide to make foreign trade routes more interesting? Is the notification that much of a nuisance? I just ignore them and they go away on their own.
then we bring it back:)

I agree that in general notifications are so common that they effectively serve little purpose, especially in the late game. Its just a wall of icons every turn. This one is not one that I care about, I'm fine to drop it.

Just note that the AI does get a little mad when you pillage a TR someone else established towards them, which could mean a human player has the right to know this as well.

This notification is also useful when barbarians are spawned as a result, since there's no way you'd know why there are suddenly 2+ barbarians in your territory when there was only one nearby.

Yeah the more I think about, I kinda like my notification bar filling up with anything of even slight significance... I tend to ignore most but the way they scroll by, and are easily ignorable, gives a sense of the news of the world all rolling in

In RL, USA is sending all kinds of shipments to various countries that need help right now... If the USA ships got sunk and plundered en route, dontcha think the leaders in the other countries would wanna be notified? They might not do anything about it but I'm sure it would be a concern worth at least a moment of attention

I'm not going to handle any Github issue that's about "multiple barbarians appearing out of nowhere".

I voted no because I assumed you could click on the notification and see where a barbarian spawned (and where the trade route got pillaged)

Just note that the AI does get a little mad when you pillage a TR someone else established towards them, which could mean a human player has the right to know this as well.

This notification is also useful when barbarians are spawned as a result, since there's no way you'd know why there are suddenly 2+ barbarians in your territory when there was only one nearby.
Compelling. I changed my vote.

So many people voted Yes. You should know that this is a downgrade of a QoL, right?
Removing a notification that does a useful thing is bad. Every time this notification comes up, I always press it to see if it is plundered nearby (look at the distance between the two cities) so I can move some of my troops there to kill the barbarians.

This notification does not even appear that often.

You should know that this is a downgrade of a QoL, right?
Downgrade of this particular QoL, but upgrade of all other notifications, since I'll pay more attention to them. BTW, why not just merge the modmod where you can set which notifications you want?

It's impossible to re-enable this notification through non-DLL changes, and it would be weird to make a custom mod option for this one notification. Please do this the modmod way instead.

It's impossible to re-enable this notification through non-DLL changes, and it would be weird to make a custom mod option for this one notification. Please do this the modmod way instead.
Nah, I meant all notifications, so they can be turned on/off. I thought it's just an SQL change. If not then it should be, because why not?

Every time this notification comes up, I always press it to see if it is plundered nearby (look at the distance between the two cities) so I can move some of my troops there to kill the barbarians.
That doesn't work for the notification that a foreign trade route was plundered. Clicking on the notification shows the plot only if it was your own trade route that was plundered.

thought it's just an SQL change. If not then it should be, because why not?
Most of the notification types in the database are used for more than one notification. There are 152 notification types, but I counted 384 occurrences of a notification being sent in the dll, and I'm sure a more thorough search would reveal even more. For example, the same notification type is used for both the notification that an owned trade route was plundered and for the one that a foreign trade route was plundered. With SQL it wouldn't be possible to turn off only one of them.

For that reason, an automatic solution like the instant yields modmod is not possible for the other notifications. For more customization it's necessary to manually go through the DLL and create a custom mod option or a flag that can be toggled in a modmod for each notification individually. I would prefer a general solution to the problem over a customization modmod if possible (it was necessary to have the instant yields customizable because they need to be shown to new players). I was hoping to make uncontroversial proposals to remove some of the notifications, it's already clear that didn't work out.

That doesn't work for the notification that a foreign trade route was plundered. Clicking on the notification shows the plot only if it was your own trade route that was plundered.
You can still figure it out by guessing the tiles between the two cities. If it was nearby cities, you could figure it out easily. Still very important for land trade routes.

ideal state would be some in-game options allowing notification types to be toggled on/off as desired... dunno if that's possible but there's literally no detriment to these notifications, you don't need to click 'em, all that having them causes is one extra notch of scrolling on your mouse's scrollwheel from time to time. This proposal isn't QoL or anything useful really, and from a few posts above it sounds like its gonna be a significant DLL project? bad use of community resources if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom