A Brave New Succession Game

Teproc

King
After reading redwings & Co's game (here), it made me realize that succession games are a really cool way of playing this game. Apparently some players from that game would be interested in doing another, and I certainly am.

I'm thinking Emperor is a good difficulty level for this. I mostly play on Deity, though I still struggle (and haven't managed a Domination or Cultural win in Deity yet), so I would also be fine with Immortal, but I think Emperor (or even King) makes it so that pretty much everyone can play.

I have no preference as far as civs go, except that I don't want to play Korea because I've been playing them a lot recently. Other than that, if anyone who wants to sign up has a specific idea of the map/civ we should play, go ahead and say it !

I think we should aim for 6/7 players for this. I looked at other succession games, and 10 turns seems to be the norm, although the 35 turns used in redwings game allowed for more impact (see Moriarte's wars in that game) and more roleplay, which is definitely something I would find cool. 25 seems more logical to me than 35 though. Here again, i'm open to any suggestion !

Oh, and I have no idea how to do screenshots and share saves, but that shouldn't be too hard, right ?

Anyway, anyone is welcome to join and suggest civs/maps/turns etc. It would also be good if you specified wich DLC you have. I have all of them, but of course we will accomodate depending on what the people who sign up have.

Edit : Fixed 25 to 35 for the amount of turns used in redwings game.

My game was 35 turns actually, might be a bit long though, so 25 seems like a nice amount.

In my game a few people didn't have DLC other than BNW and G+K, so make sure you check for that before starting the game. There are still plenty of civs to choose from without this though. I'll play, but give me a later or even the latest section of the game. I find this type of game really cool, but I will be doing school, and I really shouldn't commit myself to any civ games before school. If I only play one segment that might be good. Still, I did say I would do it, so count me in. :)

Cool ! I did mean 35, that was a typo, which is fixed now.

I guess one factor for the civ might be flavor. I don't know much about, say, the Songhai, so I would have to stretch a little more to write something about them.

I guess I'll use this post to count signups :

1) Teproc
2) redwings1340
3) Pydgie
4) cpm4001
5) Silverman6083
6) js_9001

DLC so far : Everything except maps.
Suggested Civs : Shoshone, Russia, Venice
Difficulty : Emperor or Immortal
Turns : 25

I have all the expansions and the dlc civs, I don't have dlc maps though. I'm willing to join, but I have a Mac... Will it still work? I think Pocatello is a good choice for civ

Hm. I have no idea. I guess you could try uploading a save right now and I'll check if it works on my PC.

You can sign me up here. Pocatello sounds like a good Civ choice.

As I said previously, I'll join! I have all dlc and expansions that I'm aware of (steam sales, amazing!). I vote we play on Immortal as a challenge, since everyone seemed to breeze past Emperor, also if we are voting on civs I vote Russia, because I feel like Pocatello is only going to fun for the first player but whatever :D

I've never played higher than King. (It's already hard enough!) but i can try

Actually, I've changed my mind, Pocatello I think is still a good choice, but maybe we should play with Venice for added challenge

Yeah, I would also vote immortal because the changes in who was playing didn't seem to increase the difficulty much. It definitely appeared that the better players (Moriarte) offset slightly suboptimal play of worse people rather than having the changes in player priority drag the entire game down. If we struggle, we struggle. I think I would have just as much fun playing a close late game than another dominant win.

Heerlo seemed to be pessimistic with Emperor last time and it ended up working out.

That said, I'm fine with either difficulty.

As for civs, I would vote for Pocatello. Venice is fun, but I think I would like a civ that really has a range of options and no single dominant strategy, so we can see different people play slightly differently. I didn't pick Pocatello last game because most of the bonuses are super early, which means that not everyone will be able to use it as well. Still, the more I'm playing civ, the more I'm liking and wishing I had Pocatello's UA. New cities are just that much stronger when they can work the best tiles immediately.

I've had bad luck at Immortal, but am more than willing to give it a shot anyway! (Just be warned: I may kill our nation during my turnset due to bad play.)

I've had very mixed luck with immortal. I'm currently 2-1-1 on the difficulty, with wins with Portugal and Ethiopia (Ethiopia game was dominant, probably the second best game of Civ I've ever played after the deity Poland win), a loss with Morrocco (didn't finish the game, but I'm in a horrible position), and a probable close loss with Sweden that I didn't finish (I might finish this. I caught up in tech using autocracy, but have very little tech of my own. Still, to cripple a runaway autocratic Russia, I switched to freedom after Greece voted in freedom as the world ideology. Without industrial espionage though, my science has started falling way behind everyone else).

Between us, I don't know if we can win Immortal. I do know we can beat Emperor. Why run the safe route when we can challenge ourselves?

Well if mac works, that's great, we have 5 already so we could start once we agree on settings. People will still be welcome to join of course (and I'll be sure to have redwings last on the queue).

For difficulty I think I'd prefer Emperor. The gap between Emperor and Immortal is bigger than between King and Emperor IIRC, and I kind of want a more relaxed game.

For size, I think you guys played on huge last time ? I don't think I've ever played on anything bigger than standard, but I could try, why not. The only downside is it makes cultural and domination victory much, much harder (I'm assuming).

Civs : Shoshone and Russia both look fine. I think Shoshone is probably more fun overall though, Russia has nice production bonuses and the extra resources can mean more gold early game, but other than that it's pretty vanilla. I guess I'd prefer the Shoshone between those two then (sorry Silverman, nothing against you :p)

DLC : Looks like everything but the maps for everyone ? cpm and redwings haven't specified.

A couple of things I'm wondering about : flavor-wise, you had your second "terms" as being the same character returning. I think it'd make more sense if it was a great-grandson or something, taking the name of their illustrious ancestor ! But everyone can do whatever they feel like for their flavor of course.

Also if we pick the Shoshone, we could maybe randomize the order (leaving redwings last for availability reasons) if you guys want.

I had missed a few posts there. Looks like Immortal is gaining traction. I'm fine with that too.

What you're saying about having a flexible civilization makes a lot of sense. The Shoshone do fit that bill nicely.

Sounds good. Could I be the random element, and just take a spot in every round that falls in a weekend? My school schedule is also pretty difficult.

I think it's better to have an order, so that we don't mess up and give more turns for anyone. If your turn happens to be in the middle of the week, we can certainly wait a few days I think.

Ok. So I tried downloading a save file, to see if it was gon work. The only problem was that I couldn't figure out how to open it with civ. like, I couldn't figure out how to put it in the game.

Finder/some path (I use the search function)/Aspyr/Sid Meyer's Civilization 5/Saves/single.

Put the save in that folder. Then, start it the same way you normally start an in progress civ game.

Top Bottom