A Brief History of the United Federation

Protagonist

Warlord
AN: This is a story based on an actual playthrough of a heavily modded civ V game, with all fictional civilizations (most being renamed civs added with mods). Think of it as a super-crossover.

The protagonistic-civilization is the Guardian Unit of Nations, or GUN. I'm having them represent a generic 'human'/'muggle'/Government faction, in the vein of SHIELD, the NCR, or of course, GUN.

Note that I'm treating this more as a story than a legit playthrough, though, so I'm using IGE to manipulate the game a bit.

Chapter 1: A Civilization to Stand the Test of Time.

I've had...recurring dreams, of a sort. In it, a great spirit-God, perhaps-takes me back, to the day before the cataclysm. Men and women being lined up, and walking into the emergency bunker. Soldiers were stopping people from entering when they were starting to fill up.
I'm told about the virtues of the people I command-their self-reliance, their optimism, their tolerance, and others. I'm asked if I'm worthy to lead these people. And, to be honest, I'm not sure.
The Chapel says I'm having visions. Personally, I just think I'm nervous-I've only taken office recently. I'm President Rogers of the United Federation, and as the elected leader, I will lead my people to glory.
They say it's clear to leave, so I've sent scouting teams to investigate the nearby area. I'm hoping they'll be able to rediscover technology. So much was lost during the Cataclysm.

They've already discovered something interesting in the Southwest: Columbia. For those unaware, Columbia was a floating city constructed by the US government before the cataclysm. They eventually seceded from the Union (and by that, I mean, they flew away never to be seen until now). However, their flying city couldn't stay in the air forever, so they've had to land.

As the leader of the government succeeding the United States, I'm very interested in learning what's happened to Columbia while it was away. I'd like to be optimistic-the Columbians are, arguably, our people. Though, I've been told their state was founded by a racist Neo-Confederate theocrat...and no evidence to support that they've changed. They still speak of "The Sodom Below" even as they touch the ground.

But on a more pressing note: We've discovered a Subspace Portal. Just before the Cataclsym occured, there were odd figures called "Polygons" that were sighted. Some were saying it was a sign of the apocalypse. It would be one hell of a coincidence if they were not, all things considered.
Polygons attack almost everything they see. They know neither remorse nor pity nor fear. They cannot be reasoned with. I've sent my police to deal with the problem.

Attachments

• CivilizationV_Tablet_2015-10-03_22-02-03.jpg
    CivilizationV_Tablet_2015-10-03_22-02-03.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 206
Subbed.

Chapter 2: The First Great Polygon Crusade

There stood four black obelisks. Buzzing around them was a swarm of "shadow bugs", which occasionally formed into a Polygon. In the very center was the subspace portal itself-a black sphere. It was only a one-way portal, traveling into subspace was impossible. Floating in the air above the obelisks were a few humanoid figures. They couldn't make out much, but they were up in the air, seemingly unconcious.
The Polygons themselves looked like humanoid figures made out of some sort of purplish crystal (it had the consistency of hard plastic, though was transluscent). Upon seeing the Federation Police, they began to walk slowly towards them, as if hesitating a moment. They slowly sped up until they were sprinting, and charged after them.

There were three units sent into battle. 1st Recon, Bear Team, and Samus Aran.

Samus Aran was not a formal part of the GUN, instead being a hired mercenary (or 'Bounty Hunter', as she called it). She was raised by a group of people known as the Chozo, who are now extinct, according to her. She wore red and orange armor, and carried a spear.

1st Recon was the GUN's first team of archers. They were lead by Craig Boone, a bald man wearing a burea and sunglasses.

Finally, Bear Team, GUN's first 'infantry' division. Leading their group was Ted.

Ted had volunteered for this postion, though he was very nervous. Previously, he had been a security officer in Central-a position as easy as being a mall cop. He had trained a lot, but he had never seen real combat other than breaking up the occasional bar fight or tackling the odd thief. This was life-or-death combat.

The Polygons saw them, and walked towards them slowly. However, the closer they got, the more they sped up. They were surprisingly agile, jumping over logs and rocks without losing their momentum.
They got to Bear Team, and began fighting them. Though they were unarmed, the Polygons fought well-they seemed to have martial arts skills of some sort. Also, given that their bodies were made out of a hard substance, weapons might have been superfluous.

The Polygon tried to punch, but Ted managed to block it, deflecting it to his left and then grabbed it. He did a sweep kick, forcing the Polygon to the ground and then he proceeded to smack it with his police baton in the head.

The Polygon didn't flinch as its head was being bashed in. It kept trying to fight him, even as its head started to crack open. Lights shined from its cracks for a few seconds, until the entire thing shattered and 'dissolved' back into deceased shadow bugs. The shadow bugs then dissappeared one-by-one. It was hard to say what happened to them-perhaps they vaporized? Or maybe they went back into the subspace. Though offensively strong, it appeared that the Polygons were still very fragile.

Another polygon ran at Ted, who stood his ground to block the attack. However, the Polygon did a jump kick and hit him right in the face, knocking him straight to the ground.

He was kicked again a few times, before two other officers came and tackled the polygon to the ground. Ted got up, and awaited the other officers to return to him. He felt very dizzy.

He asked "How are we doing?" to the other officers.

Another officer said "Not too well. We're getting beaten, pretty bad."

Ted nodded. "Ok, then." He shouted out "Fallback! Retreat!"

Bear team fell back and left, too weak to keep fighting.

However, the others kept fighting. Craig shouted "3...2...1...Fire!" as he fired his bow. The arrows landed on the attacking polygons, killing a few of them. Samus Aran ran in, spear in hand. The Polygons found that their crystal bodies were not nearly durable enough to stand up to sharpened bronze. Or Samus's training. She seemed almost superhuman.

Eventually, 1st Recon and Samus managed to slay the last Polygon. The first recon scouts ran up to the obelisks and threw ropes around them, and pulled them to the ground. After they fell, the Subspace Portal shrank and collapsed.

Bear Team was still in retreat and trying to get to a place where they could receive medical attention, when all of a sudden, they noticed a few people walking in between two polygon. Ted gave an order to approach them. The people's eyes were black. Something wasn't right about them.

Ted put two and two together-they were clearly under some form of mind control. He ordered that they attack the small group of polygons. Despite their injuries, they outnumbered the Polygons enough that they easily freed the enslaved civilians.

As it turned out, the civilians were from the tribe known as Ife, not at all far from where the Subspace portal was.

In return for saving the civilians and destroying the subspace portal, Ife and the Federation have become allies.

Attachments

• CivilizationV_Tablet_2015-10-03_22-16-35.jpg
    CivilizationV_Tablet_2015-10-03_22-16-35.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 141
Chapter 3: Foreign Policy and Growth
Tensions with Columbia are slowly rising. Upon further examination of their society, it appears that 'Neo-Confederate' is not an adequate term to describe them. They have degenerated into a fascist dicatorship, that worships their leader, the 'Prophet' Comstock.
Black people are mistreated terribly-they are all slaves, with no rights at all, and legally no way to escape slavery. They are an incredibly militaristic society, with an army several times ours in sheer numbers.
But, despite it all, they are a very poor nation, with terrible logistical capabilities. In theory, our military might will soon surpass theirs.
But a conundrum has occurred. Some, like my trigger-happy general, Abraham Tower, are suggesting that we go in and conquer their nation the instant it becomes viable to do so. "Imperialism of Human Rights", he calls it.
Others advocate appeasement policies. For example, returning escaped slaves.

I will not declare war with Columbia right away. But, that doesn't mean I don't have to prepare for war, nor do I have to cooperate with Columbia at all. I will declare all escaped slaves refugees that must be protected. Anyone who assists in 'slave catching' will be severely punished. We're sponsoring a new "Underground Railroad", which will help free slaves.
In somewhat happier news, we've built two new cities: Westopolis, and Empire City. We're finally expanding into something that can be called a 'real' nation.
But the most interesting thing is a person the Underground Railroad found. Not a slave, not per say, but a woman by the name of Elizebeth. She claimed to be on the run from the Founders-the ruling part of Columbia.
She was taken in by the church, and they quickly took a liking to her. In fact, they say she's some sort of prophet, sent here to help us stop the Founders. The Elizebethian movement, they call it.

Top Bottom