A few questions on resources

Steelo

Chieftain
Just been wondering about a few things with resources if someone out there could help me out......

1. What do the tags Unique and TilesPer do?

I noticed Unique goes with the Normalize tag on bonus resources but is the resource Unique to civs, regions, continents......? and the same with TilesPer, Tiles per what...... players, map size, area.....?

2. Can I make a resource appear on ocean tiles or exclusively on rivers?

Like a giant squid in the ocean or some type of freshwater fish in a river etc.

3. Do multipliers compound and can you use different attributes?

Say if I gave stone the same wonder bonus as marble would it be 100+(15%+15%)=130 or (100+15%)+15%=132.25 and something like could I give deer or cows an armour bonus to warriors or archers built in that ciity.

If someone could answer these or point me to where I can find the info that would be appreciated.
Thanks.

A lot of the values in Resources.XML are throwbacks to Civ IV and, if used at all, are only used by World Builder (see WorldBuilderRandomItems.lua for both Unique and TilesPer). Almost all of the logic for placing resources is now held within AssignStartingPlots.lus (or ASP as it tends to be referred as on this forum) - and that unfortunately is one of the most complex pieces of code within the game.

You can pretty much make any resource appear anywhere by modding ASP, it's another question as to whether or not the graphics engine will know how to render it on the maps - test and see is your only way here. You can place ice on land for example and it works well. Some modders have implemented things such as sea-weed and underwater minerals, but what they did to get the graphics to work is a different question!

How values compound, if at all, is within the C++ code in the DLL and Firaxis have implemented all three options (100 + 15 + 15 = 115 or 130 or 132.5) for different things - so the answer is "it depends". The only reliable way to find out is to look in the DLL code (hard) or (easier) test it in game with big numbers (it's easier to check 100 + 100 + 100 = 200, 300 or 400)

OK, so trial and error deductive logic approach, thanks for the quick response. :)

Top Bottom