A More Interesting (slash historical) Acropolis

Lyoncet

Emperor
So watching Marbozir's Greece LP is really making me think they missed an opportunity by making the Acropolis just a better Theater District for cheaper. It makes sense based on the Acropolis of Athens, since there were a number of great feats of art and engineering (along with an amphitheater if I remember correctly), but all Acropoleis including Athens' were primarily defensive fortifications. For my money, I think the Acropolis as a unique Encampment, requiring a hill and maybe also city adjacency, with some culture-related bonus would have been a much more interesting unique. As long as you left it at one per city.

That would also gel a lot better with Sparta, IMO. They weren't exactly known for putting theaters up everywhere, but tying the culture to their encampments would fit in nicely with their culture-through-warfare theme.

Interesting idea. I was also disapointed by the Acropolis, although before Pericles I would have bet on a Holy Site.
But your idea stands stronger. Acropolis couls be a Unique encampment, in everything equal to a regular one, but without the placement restriction nearby city (but must be built on hills). It could have an adjacency bonus of +1/2 culture for each adjacent district/city center (Like the Theater District) AND an increased strenght for Ancient Walls. It could be available at Early Empire Civic (otherwise the Bronze Working tech gets too powefull for greece...)

For Gorgo it could fit well the maintheme of synergy between military elements and culture, just like their LUA, making the Unique Improvements even morer useful in a Spartan game. And of course that such a leader will build a large number of encampments.
For Pericles I see the possible defensive bonus as something to go for in a basic defensive game focused on city state soverignity. The culture boost is also important, so this district is still massively built by Pericles.

The aditional early game cutlure boost this district may proivide as well as the increasing defensive bonuses should help greece to become an even more proeminent power in the Early Game, confirming their "historical" tendency.

I think the fortification part could have been served by giving it a defensive bonus to units standing on it, like a fort does, I wouldn't change it to an encampent replacement, because the Acropolis being a culture and GP generator does fit both Pericles and Gorgo, and well, Greece in general.

That's a reasonable alternative, since they were more fortifications than military outposts. It just feels very off to me to have it be basically "A theater, but better!" :crazyeye:

That's a reasonable alternative, since they were more fortifications than military outposts. It just feels very off to me to have it be basically "A theater, but better!" :crazyeye:
yeah I get that, personally the thing that bother me is that the Acropolis roof is bright pink, its a bit of an eyesore.

I think the fortification part could have been served by giving it a defensive bonus to units standing on it, like a fort does, I wouldn't change it to an encampent replacement, because the Acropolis being a culture and GP generator does fit both Pericles and Gorgo, and well, Greece in general.

yes, a fortification bonus would be cool, also for the Lavra

brilliant idea. but i would make it a unique holy site, because the acropolis in athen also housed tempels for the gods (parthenon, nike temple)

so a holy site with an extra slot for art, a defence bonus and a culture bonus would be nice

brilliant idea. but i would make it a unique holy site, because the acropolis in athen also housed tempels for the gods (parthenon, nike temple)

so a holy site with an extra slot for art, a defence bonus and a culture bonus would be nice

That would also be a cool way of handling it. Although equipping Greece to spam out holy sites (because of the inherent bonuses to unique districts) would make them a strong faith-based civ, which would feel kind of weird. Not that it was a faithless society or anything by a long shot, but they don't really stand out as exceptional in that way either.

Top Bottom