A New Dawn Beta Builds

I'd agree with szemek77 that the revolution effect of "financial trouble" is VERY pronounced. Running at less than 60% for any length of time causes a lot of instability and in the early game you don't have any civic options available to mitigate.

In a couple of games I have expanded to ~ 3 cities in the ancient era - if you are in a fully wooded start area there is no room for cottages and you will have to run at about 50% science once your initial cash from huts runs out. In this case it's possible to implode into revolution before you reach Iron Working with no options to get out of it. It seems to trouble the AI less and they usually expand to 4/5/6 cities in the same time and you only hear of the occasional AI civ getting into instability problems. Admittedly until the current beta I have usually played AND without the extra building options and I've found that many of the AND early buildings help with extra bits of commerce and gold here and there. Nonetheless I'd maybe suggest that perhaps the earliest civics might have more tolerance towards a low science rate. Ancient era people might object to immediate things such as cruel or despotic rule, but before writing / currency etc would people really object to diverting too much of the civs resources towards operating a couple of towns rather than pursuing enlightenment?

Some more specific feedback from the beta now...

1) Should the bonuses from the Tannery be all +hammers for land units rather than including +10% hammers overall? Can a tannery help build buildings and boats?

2) The -30% trade route income from Barter doesn't show in the trade route hover text, but the fractional trade route value does seem to be correct.

3) The "Actual" calculations seems to be a little confused sometimes. I suspect that the Actual calculation doesn't reflect decimal yields yet - sometimes it predicts +1 commerce when in fact your commerce will just improve from 0.87 to 1.18 following a new building. Not serious though. More confusing is when the Apiary (+1 health, +1 food, no conditional bonuses) is listed as having an actual food benefit of +2 food, and then +1 food the next turn. I've seen a couple of buildings fluctuate suspiciously like this but don't have anything concrete to pin it on yet.

Like before what i said, but come to think of it my ISP has been acting funny also, on then off, low frequency, etc, all day and still, i wonder if Homeland Security took off today, and only had a few people monitoring the broadband that lowered everyone's ISP's (conspiracy theory) :joke:

That conspiracy theory might actually work if the whole world was American. Fortunately, it isn't :)

In which case I would put it down to cosmic rays or solar storms. After all it couldn't be our own fault for overloading the forum server could it.:mischief:

It seems it is solved! No more DB errors so far.

playing 2.81 + beta 3.

I see one problem with flexible difficulty:

The human player seems to be very strong in the opening phase but after a short time
the difficulty level rises too fast up so you stay among the top 20% for a very long time.

also if you are descending to the average and loose cities etc. your enemies will stay crazy
overpowered... though you don´t reach the least 20% because with Revolutions on there
will be always plenty of civs who are much worse than you...

my suggestion would be:

top 20%: increase +1

not top 20%: decrease -1 until "prince" or "noble"

last 20%: decrease -1 to the beginner levels

(maybe 40 rounds or even more should be by far enough to calculate)

I love this option but with snail it gets balls to the wall... :)

oh and I had one ctd in 550 turns (snail)!

regards

I also think this could be a good idea hehe.

Aff, may i make a request?
My request is, to made an option, that will do this : When you build a barrack in 4000bc, then you finished it on 3000bc, as example, instead of only got a message that say, Congrats, you have finished the construction of barrack in your city.What'll you built next
But it will also say
Congrats, you have finished the construction of barrack in your city which took 1000 years to be completed.What'll you built next

Is it possible to do that?

NB:If you need reason, why i want this, that's because i'm a builder type player, and sometime i want to know, how long it took for me to construct a simple storage pit, or how long it take to give some of my citizen a club and call them"warrior".But, unfortunately, God gave me bad memory:sad:

I get a MAF persistently now. They come so often that the game is effectively unplayable (every second turn or so), but it does not appear to be repeatable. This is the first time I try a Huge map (added one extra AI civ), but still - I'm only in the 1600's. I have enclosed the error dialog, save and logs

A New Dawn.log contains:
{Required Files} {Civic Flavors} {Ice Breaker} {Mountains } {Realistic Diplomacy} {Seafaring } {Multiple Production Mod} {War Prizes} {Espionage Process} Forestation {Sea Tunnels} Terraforming {Lead From Behind} {Fixed Borders} {Surround and Destroy} {No Storms} {Advanced Diplomacy} {Historical Wonders} Formations {Better RoM}

I'm using RoM 2.81 + beta2.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    768 KB · Views: 38
  • MAF.jpg
    MAF.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 69
  • AutoSave_AD-1687.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Aforess, on the difficulty adjustment option: How do you calculate the relative player position? Do you use rank? Or score? Do you ignore vassal relations?

The main thing is to have it consistent, but it's not a trivial. You talk about a percentage. Say there is 7 civs, two of which are vassals to two others (one each). I guess the simplest method based on rank would be
Rank 1: 100%
Rank 7: 0%
Rank 2 to 6 spaced evenly between these, that is at 16,7%, 33,3% etc..

Is that how you do it? A calculation based on score is probably more fair.

Robo I get those errors all the time, and I never posted about them becuase i figured if it was memory failing then it was my hardware :p But I am not sure. I also play on giant maps so. And mine only happens when I load a save or if I try to big of a map with to many players.

There seems to be a issue with the trading of units. I will trade for like 3 cannons and 2 ships but I will only get two cannons and one ship. Not sure what is up with it but it has happened on multiple occasions.

Also I keep getting trades form the AI where it appears they want to buy a worker off me, but I have no options aka, I cannot say no or yes or lets talk about it. The only way to get out of the screen is to hit esc to get to the civ main menu.

I don't expect to continue that game (shame, really -I was beginning to make my way towards the top after a period where everyone except my vassal decided to go to war with me), but I thought perhaps someone could use the info to - perhaps - track down a bug.,

I get a MAF persistently now. They come so often that the game is effectively unplayable (every second turn or so), but it does not appear to be repeatable. This is the first time I try a Huge map (added one extra AI civ), but still - I'm only in the 1600's. I have enclosed the error dialog, save and logs

A New Dawn.log contains:
{Required Files} {Civic Flavors} {Ice Breaker} {Mountains } {Realistic Diplomacy} {Seafaring } {Multiple Production Mod} {War Prizes} {Espionage Process} Forestation {Sea Tunnels} Terraforming {Lead From Behind} {Fixed Borders} {Surround and Destroy} {No Storms} {Advanced Diplomacy} {Historical Wonders} Formations {Better RoM}

I'm using RoM 2.81 + beta2.

MAF's are computer specific. Not much I can tell you to do except move down a map size or add more RAM or switch to a x64 OS.

Aforess, on the difficulty adjustment option: How do you calculate the relative player position? Do you use rank? Or score? Do you ignore vassal relations?

The main thing is to have it consistent, but it's not a trivial. You talk about a percentage. Say there is 7 civs, two of which are vassals to two others (one each). I guess the simplest method based on rank would be
Rank 1: 100%
Rank 7: 0%
Rank 2 to 6 spaced evenly between these, that is at 16,7%, 33,3% etc..

Is that how you do it? A calculation based on score is probably more fair.

It's based on Player Rank. Player Rank is determined by the player's score.

Robo I get those errors all the time, and I never posted about them becuase i figured if it was memory failing then it was my hardware :p But I am not sure. I also play on giant maps so. And mine only happens when I load a save or if I try to big of a map with to many players.

There seems to be a issue with the trading of units. I will trade for like 3 cannons and 2 ships but I will only get two cannons and one ship. Not sure what is up with it but it has happened on multiple occasions.

Also I keep getting trades form the AI where it appears they want to buy a worker off me, but I have no options aka, I cannot say no or yes or lets talk about it. The only way to get out of the screen is to hit esc to get to the civ main menu.

Thanks for the reports with diplomacy. I think I found both problems. If you still get either error with Beta4, nag me. :mischief:

MAF's are computer specific. Not much I can tell you to do except move down a map size or add more RAM or switch to a x64 OS.
It seems I need to reformat my harddisk to go from 32 to 64 bit. I'm not prepared to do that just now.

It's based on Player Rank. Player Rank is determined by the player's score.
Well. I suppose tha's a straight answer, though not the one I might prefer.

RE: Better RoM modmod, (Replacing the Balanced Civics Modmod), which balances the civics better and removes many of the happiness/healthiness boosts from resources.

Being exploring the new beta and found somthing that I am not quite sure of. I noticed that the effect of health from forests has be decreased from .5 to .1 per froest square. THe part that confuses me (possible bug) is that for one game my strat up city included all the forest square in its expanded city radius, ie the fat cross (first cultral expantion), However in all the games thereafter, the forest heath bonus only applied to the square imediately around my city, ie only eight squares. In both instances my tech level, buildings etc were very similar. So my question is, is this a bug? and also where i the mechanic for this interation located in the game files?

RE: Better RoM modmod, (Replacing the Balanced Civics Modmod), which balances the civics better and removes many of the happiness/healthiness boosts from resources.

Being exploring the new beta and found somthing that I am not quite sure of. I noticed that the effect of health from forests has be decreased from .5 to .1 per froest square. THe part that confuses me (possible bug) is that for one game my strat up city included all the forest square in its expanded city radius, ie the fat cross (first cultral expantion), However in all the games thereafter, the forest heath bonus only applied to the square imediately around my city, ie only eight squares. In both instances my tech level, buildings etc were very similar. So my question is, is this a bug? and also where i the mechanic for this interation located in the game files?

Depends on your definition of bug. Some hardcore players would argue no. The health from forests is set when you construct a city, and never altered from there on out. So when the culture radius expands, it never updates the health and happiness for the new tiles. However, I agree, this is less than optimal. I've changed it so when culture expands, health and happiness from features (forests) is rechecked.

When you say you have changed it, do you mean in the upcoming beta's? And if so can you please point me in the direction so that I can, in the intrium, make this change mysel

Edit: Just had another thought, when you say rechecked when culture expands, what precisely do you mean? For instance I think it would be fair to get the heath increase from your cities first cultral expansion, but just imaginae the heath bones you would get if it was for every cultral expansion, ie influential cities--third plot usage etc. Even with forest heath set to .1, you might be taking about a 6 heath bonus (on ht giant earth map that I always play at least). Thoughts?

When you say you have changed it, do you mean in the upcoming beta's? And if so can you please point me in the direction so that I can, in the intrium, make this change myself?

Yes, for upcoming betas. As for interim fixes, I have none. You need to edit the SDK to fix this.

I personally think you should consider scaling down Domesticated Animals modmod :).

1. Too many buildings for so brief the time between each discovered building....

2. Too high costs for buildings...

3. Few buildings are redundant (oxen and cow are basically the same species, just with different muscular build)...

My :commerce::commerce:!

And, yeah, I understand it is Hydro's baby, but you trimmed your own Education, Firestorm, Weather, Sports mods to not be so overwhelming, yes? I would say that you add the originial Domesticated modmod to the RoM modmod forum and then modify it into Afforess' version (scaled down or improved one).

Hydro, understand that it is in NO WAY saying anything bad, OK? Only bad thing is that your modmod with AND is a bit too much but as a modmod for people who STILL! :eek: don't use AND, it is an excellent modmod.

Hope I covered all the bases here :lol:.

I personally think you should consider scaling down Domesticated Animals modmod :).

1. Too many buildings for so brief the time between each discovered building....

2. Too high costs for buildings...

3. Few buildings are redundant (oxen and cow are basically the same species, just with different muscular build)...

My :commerce::commerce:!

And, yeah, I understand it is Hydro's baby, but you trimmed your own Education, Firestorm, Weather, Sports mods to not be so overwhelming, yes? I would say that you add the originial Domesticated modmod to the RoM modmod forum and then modify it into Afforess' version (scaled down or improved one).

Hydro, understand that it is in NO WAY saying anything bad, OK? Only bad thing is that your modmod with AND is a bit too much but as a modmod for people who STILL! :eek: don't use AND, it is an excellent modmod.

Hope I covered all the bases here :lol:.

I doubt Hydro is going to let me change it one iota. Which is why it's not in the "Recommended" option.

I doubt Hydro is going to let me change it one iota. Which is why it's not in the "Recommended" option.

: open my mouth :

: close my mouth :

Nvm :). Gotcha.

Any comment about my request Aff?If it isn't doable, or you don't want to do it, fine, just tell me, so i don't need to cross my finger everytime i come here:mischief::please:

Top Bottom